The Queen of the South thread

28 minutes ago, Kunter said:

After a few decent initial signings it's all starting to go a bit "Marvin Bartley" again. 

That is a bit harsh Macintyre looked better as the season went on with us then  had a successful loan with Annan.

Does that mean Church is going to be out injured again on that more worried about Brydon is he out long term again .

What I will say is the other 2 players he is close to signing have to be up front I really worry about our lack of a goal threat Doherty will never get us goals. 

Hopefully we can get loan signings  like a Wales from Killie or Steven from St Johnstone both had a very successful loan spell at Alloa . 

For me this isn't a bad signing.  When he started with us he was lightweight and a bit of a bomb scare.  He was getting better for us as he settled in and the season progressed, and done well for Annan in the 2nd half of the season.  Murphy obviously got the best from him at Annan, hopefully this can continue.   Another instance where Bartley completely failed to get the best out of a player.

Reasonably happy with the recruitment so far.  However, like others I would like to see more options up front.  Doherty is not going to get us goals on a regular basis.

4 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Linked with Jay Hogarth Rangers goalkeeper in loan.

Interesting, I wondered where he'd end up. I've got a lot of time for Jay and I think there's a lot of potential there. But he had a funny spell with us. I think we watched him grow in stature in front of our eyes; he carries himself very confidently, but he wasn't all that convincing until mid-March. When he flushed rustiness and a raft of mistakes out of his system. Most of them weren't howlers, they were just ones where you felt he should've done better.

He was at fault for a couple in our 3-2 loss at East Fife (which came on the back of an iffy showing in a 5-0 pumping down at Stranraer) and it felt quite make or break. But after that he was fairly solid; I can't say that I looked at him and thought he was going to be back challenging Jack Butland anytime soon. But I think he won back my trust (if that makes sense, it's a hard thing for a keeper to do). For every save you think he should've made, he'd then stop something from about half a yard out that left you wondered how he did it. One of these reactive keepers; fire a ball at him from the six-yard-box and he'll save it. Take a pot shot from 30 yards and it might go in.

The best way to think of him is as an FM player who is maybe two stars right now but with five star potential. He's got a good wedge of experience under his belt; a promotion, something like 25 clean sheets in senior football and a season in League One under his belt. All before he turns 21. Not many keepers at that age can probably match that.

Lovely kid too. After Spartans I ended up on the pitch in between him and Paddy O'Neil jumping up all with our arms round each other jumping up and down like a lunatic. I'm hoping he goes on to play for Scotland so I can use it as a good wee story in years to come :lol:

Rangers rate him very highly. And with a season at Alloa under his belt and then a half season with us, there's not a chance he'd be going out on loan to sit on the bench for a year.

2 hours ago, Kunter said:

After a few decent initial signings it's all starting to go a bit "Marvin Bartley" again. 

You'll need to show your working with that comment.

If Murphy wasn't our manager I wouldn't be happy with that signing given I never rated McIntyre (I missed the two games he was apparently outstanding for us). But given he went to Annan and did well under Murphy, he clearly knows how to get the best from the boy so I'm happy enough with it. A big positive is it's another player who's played under Murphy signing. To me it shows he has confidence in what he can get from them players and the players obviously respect him enough to sign for him again. Hoping this will result in the side wanting to 'run through a brick wall' for him. 

17 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Was this Oscar character not the one that was saying he was absolutely desperate to beat queens in the second game at galabank last season? 

Good. That's the kind of attitude I want from our players. 

9 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Don’t understand the thinking of signing another keeper.

I know he's (Stewart) apparently done ok so far but I'm confident we'll see another GK brought in at some point this season unless Cowie can keep hold of the No. 1 spot. 

Another CB/RB for me and a striker or two and our starting 11 should be competing. 

Edited by 19QOS19

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Oscar MacIntyre signs on loan from Hibs again. 
Oscar Returns

No harm in him coming in given Church's injury record I suppose.  I think it's the right back position that is the priority defensive position needing filled  though.  If Barnes isn't signed and no-one else is brought in there's only really Brydon who can play there and he's probably our best centre-back, and a near permanently crocked one at that.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Linked with Jay Hogarth Rangers goalkeeper on loan.

More important to get a centre back plus at least 2 forwards no idea where the goals are coming from right now .

Why not just have Stewart with our other young keeper to back him up untill Cowie is fit 

10 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

More important to get a centre back plus at least 2 forwards no idea where the goals are coming from right now .

Why not just have Stewart with our other young keeper to back him up untill Cowie is fit 

Priorities for me

Right Back

2 forwards (who can score!)

centre back

….if I’m allowed more then another winger 

I like Oscar but unless the manager knows something about Church we don’t then puzzling signing before the above. 

if money tight I agree go with Stewart and a kid until Cowie is back. 

I like what Murphy is doing but failure to score in the last 2 games with only 1 more friendly before the league cup does concern me. McIntosh needs to be given a chance but you all know that Dohertys poor career scoring record worries me and given any interest elsewhere I would replace him and the underachieving McKechnie. Versus last season with no Gav, Connolly or Mumbongo we look even more barren up front. Hope this is rectified this week.