The Queen of the South thread

I'm in the "Simmons is honking" camp as well. An absolute passenger during his time with us. Games just seem to pass him by and he appears to have no motivation to try and get involved to rectify this. I hope we sign some strikers who can create chances for themselves because a midfield of McKenna and Simmons offers nothing in a creative sense.

I wasn't a massive fan of Simmons in the few games he played for us but he looked a different player for Raith. The McGlynn influence perhaps ?

He is never going to be another Bowser but give the guy a chance.

I have faith that Gus can coax the best out of him unlike Chisholm.

I have no bother in admitting players who are dicks, to be good players.

That Maguire who played for Aberdeen last season? total fucking bellend, good player though.

That Stephen Simmons who played for Raith last season? total fucking bellend who is the most lazy workyshy waste of a fucking shirt to have played for Dunfermline, he is fucking honking, only reason SOME Raith fans thought he was a "decent passer" was because they were so used to the whole punting it into the channels that a player even attempting a pass would seem decent. He's fucking horrid at passing aswell btw.

Fixed that for you.

I concur with your take on Simmons

It is possible for the club to call a special meeting and vote to increase the share capital again should they so wish. That would probably require a 'rights issue' though and some legal expenses. I've no idea at this point if it's something that will be considered in the short term or not. It would require a significant majority of existing shareholders to agree to it though. Not sure what the current Companies Act says about that. It used to require 75% to vote for it but it may not now. I'd have to check.

I'd hope that they do that as I'd expect that the shares as a birthday present is a modest but welcome income stream for the club.

I bought shares in the club for my older son and was going to do so for his baby brother for his 1st birthday, but unfortunately have now left it too late.

Considering we don't live in Dumfries anymore, one motivation for buying is to provide an increased degree of affinity to the club

I'd hope that they do that as I'd expect that the shares as a birthday present is a modest but welcome income stream for the club.

I bought shares in the club for my older son and was going to do so for his baby brother for his 1st birthday, but unfortunately have now left it too late.

Considering we don't live in Dumfries anymore, one motivation for buying is to provide an increased degree of affinity to the club

To be honest it's doubtful that even a year or two's sales for gift purposes would cover the legal expenses of such a move so I doubt there will be an imminent change for that reason.

As an aside, if you want your two children to have the same amount of shares (and presuming son no. 1 has more than one share) then you could transfer half of his to his brother. Technically needs board approval but I doubt it would be refused. Club wouldn't make anything from it of course (and indeed would have to send out an extra set of documents each year for no extra benefit) but in the scheme of things it's fairly trivial.

I wasn't a massive fan of Simmons in the few games he played for us but he looked a different player for Raith. The McGlynn influence perhaps ?

He is never going to be another Bowser but give the guy a chance.

I have faith that Gus can coax the best out of him unlike Chisholm.

I wouldn't want another Bowser but that's a different argument entirely.

As my signature says "in Gus we trust" and if he thinks Simmons can do a job then fair enough, I'll give him a chance. My main concern is that when Gus was appointed several St Mirren fans told us to expect a solid and workmanlike team. Simmons doesn't fit that criteria, and if he is to be the "flair player" amongst a team of solid hard-workers then I'm worried.

As my signature says "in Gus we trust" and if he thinks Simmons can do a job then fair enough, I'll give him a chance. My main concern is that when Gus was appointed several St Mirren fans told us to expect a solid and workmanlike team. Simmons doesn't fit that criteria, and if he is to be the "flair player" amongst a team of solid hard-workers then I'm worried.

I'd say Simmons absolutely does fit that criteria. He's certainly not a showy player. He gets on with what he does quietly and people tend not to notice it. I would never associate Simmons with "flair".

I think it's a decent signing to be honest.

I'd say Simmons absolutely does fit that criteria. He's certainly not a showy player. He gets on with what he does quietly and people tend not to notice it. I would never associate Simmons with "flair".

Well he must've done it very quietly first time round because he was completely anonymous. He didn't show any sort of work rate, or willingness to either tackle or get involved in an attacking sense so I don't see how he can be described as "workmanlike". Raith fans inform us that he likes to "try and find passes, but doesn't score a lot". I know it is pushing it to call that "flair" but surely it is closer to that than workmanlike?

I wouldn't either, the following are ones I would choose first;

Jamie Adams

Steve Tosh

John O'Neill

Rocco Quinn

They all filled very different roles though.

As a footballer in pure ability terms Bowey wouldn't have touched any of them. But for what he meant to the team for a time he was probably more important than any of them at this level with the exception possibly of Tosh (O'Neill was more important in second division days though).

How dare you!!!

As a footballer in pure ability terms Bowey wouldn't have touched any of them. But for what he meant to the team for a time he was probably more important than any of them at this level with the exception possibly of Tosh (O'Neill was more important in second division days though).

It was said partly in jest but SD I totally agree with your post. Bowey is one of my favourite Queens players in the time I have watched them! I still treasure with all my heart the photo of the two of us paeshd in Jumpin Jaks.

I do agree with you re Simmons. Not a signing that excited me initially but if Gus is that happy I'll be happy with it too!

re Weatherston I guess there must be some serious doubt now over him signing for us. Definitely a weapon at this level and perhaps even more so next season given the type of football we may be playing and also the quite possible lowering of quality of the division.

MacPherson's description of Simmons in the papers today was hilarious. I'm not saying he won't do a job for QoS but stating - "a player of his quality should not be in the first division" is ridiculous.

As I said previously I'm not especially impressed with this signing. Maybe though we are allowing memories of his previous spell with us to cloud our judgement. He seemed to do ok at Raith so maybe has maybe improved as a player.

I am willing to give him a chance & I think it is only right to defer judgement until the real action starts.

During Simmons' first spell with us, he didn't do much to inspire, but I don't really understand the ferocity of the antipathy towards him. If he can be a decent passer on his day, I'm happy enough to see him here.

It's possibly hopelessly naive, but for now, I'm content to see what Gus does and then start moaning like hell in August.

As for Bowey, anyone who watched him could see what his limitations were.

That however, doesn't prevent him from being one of our most important players over the last decade. I don't think we've had another midfielder that I'd swap for his 2003/04 vintage.

I have to say I wasnt Simmons biggest fan when he was with us before. I cant say he did much while playing against us to change my mind either. But, hes played the last few seasons for teams at the right end of the league and if him, and McKenna, are indications of the sort of quality Gus is going to bring in then I think we'll be ok. We wont be challenging near the top, obviously, but we also wont be too caught up with relegation

MacPherson's description of Simmons in the papers today was hilarious. I'm not saying he won't do a job for QoS but stating - "a player of his quality should not be in the first division" is ridiculous.

He was spot on!! He should be playing in the 3rd division lol

I have to say I wasnt Simmons biggest fan when he was with us before. I cant say he did much while playing against us to change my mind either. But, hes played the last few seasons for teams at the right end of the league and if him, and McKenna, are indications of the sort of quality Gus is going to bring in then I think we'll be ok. We wont be challenging near the top, obviously, but we also wont be too caught up with relegation

Absolute garbage, these are two players that will ensure we are scrapping it out at the bottom of the league. :(

Wouldn't associate him as being workmanlike either, he just really doesn't inspire any confidence IMO. He will be the new target for the Holmes Haterz, I am willing to give him a second chance but I really wasn't a fan the first time.

Holmes is mince, long ball football is ugly and his scoring record is about as appealing as a dog shit sandwich

You'll accept the fact one day

I think people will notice him doing f**k all fairly quickly.

Third division with Clyde would be roughly his place in football.