The Queen of the South thread

He only made one howler last year IMO, no where near as bad as your making out.

I don't condemn a player for a howler (like what a lot of QoS fans have done with Hutton unfortunately). I base it on his all round ability. His reaction is poor, his ability to get down quickly is poor, his agility if poor and his awareness is actually quite poor as well. As for his distribution, that is laughable. I remember one game last season, it was the worst kicking from a 'keeper I have ever seen - in any league. I'll say one positive thing for him, he communicates well with his defence, I stood behind him for a half once and he was constantly organising his back four.

I'm basing this on the home games I saw him in as I did not get to an away game when he played. Like I said, if he is our no. 1 next season we wil concede a barrel load at his expense. Bookmark if need be ;)

He was first choice for about 10 games last year and we didn't concede a barrow load at his expense then.

Don't make things up.

Where have I made something up? :huh:

Having looked at the statistics front it isn't the best reading for him either:-

Hutton - Played 26.5*; Conceded 37; Clean Sheets 10; Goal Average 1.39.

Robinson - Played 10; Conceded 14; Clean Sheets 1; Goal Average 1.4.

McKenzie - Played 9.5*; Conceded 18; Clean Sheets 2; Goal Average 2.

OK it could have been a lot worse, but it's quite poor in comparison with Robinson who had only 1 more game than him. He physically looks poor and on paper it isn't too great either (unless I've completely ballsd that up!)

* .5 represents the games against County that were posponed.

Edited by 19QOS19

I don't understand all the negativity towards McKenzie either. Yes he might not be as young or as agile as Hutton but I thought he organised the defence a damn sight better than Hutton did which was important considering our captain spent most of the season sidelined due to either injury or suspension.

I don't condemn a player for a howler (like what a lot of QoS fans have done with Hutton unfortunately).

I'm basing this on the home games I saw him in as I did not get to an away game when he played. Like I said, if he is our no. 1 next season we wil concede a barrel load at his expense. Bookmark if need be ;)

:huh: I haven't seen anyone condemning Hutton.

As for his distribution, that is laughable. I remember one game last season, it was the worst kicking from a 'keeper I have ever seen - in any league. I'll say one positive thing for him, he communicates well with his defence, I stood behind him for a half once and he was constantly organising his back four.

McKenzie's distribution is fine. Better than Hutton's certainly. I've no idea who you were watching but his kicking is decent too.

Where have I made something up? :huh:

Having looked at the statistics front it isn't the best reading for him either:-

Hutton - Played 26.5*; Conceded 37; Clean Sheets 10; Goal Average 1.39.

Robinson - Played 10; Conceded 14; Clean Sheets 1; Goal Average 1.4.

McKenzie - Played 9.5*; Conceded 18; Clean Sheets 2; Goal Average 2.

OK it could have been a lot worse, but it's quite poor in comparison with Robinson who had only 1 more game than him. He physically looks poor and on paper it isn't too great either (unless I've completely ballsd that up!)

* .5 represents the games against County that were posponed.

Well the bit about worst kicking ever seen appears to be made up certainly!

Your stats prove not a lot. McKenzie was in goals when the team had clearly chucked it for the last month or so (apart from the final week when they decided they had a point to prove.

Is McKenzie a better keeper than Hutton? No. Hutton is a much better keeper for me, though McKenzie is the better organiser. I'd rather Hutton was here but we've been left with McKenzie because of the previous manager's fairly inexplicable decision to give a two year deal to a reserve keeper in his late 30's. We'll just have to get on with it. He's not as bad as is being implied. He had a poor game at Dunfermline in the 6-1 game near the season's end but other than that couldn't be directly blamed for too much. His save at Raith from Baird went on to win us that game for a start and his penalty save v Cowdenbeath saved a point in that one (and went a long way to relegating them). He's certainly not as agile as a younger man would be but he's not the worst keeper out there. It will be interesting to see if Gus is happy with him or would rather use some of his limited budget to bring in another keeper.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Weve been fairly lucky in the goalkeeping department in the last few years having had Cammy Bell, Colin Scott, Jamie MacDonald as well as David Hutton. These guys are all top quality and that fact is made even more clear when you see a guy like Roddy McKenzie struggling through a game. His agility is woeful. This was summed up when a cross going at no miles per hour was going on target only for him to parry it, still he had an eternity to recover the loose ball yet came agonisingly close to not getting up on time to gathering the loose ball. This for me was the final confirmation that he was past it

Weve been fairly lucky in the goalkeeping department in the last few years having had Cammy Bell, Colin Scott, Jamie MacDonald as well as David Hutton. These guys are all top quality and that fact is made even more clear when you see a guy like Roddy McKenzie struggling through a game. His agility is woeful. This was summed up when a cross going at no miles per hour was going on target only for him to parry it, still he had an eternity to recover the loose ball yet came agonisingly close to not getting up on time to gathering the loose ball. This for me was the final confirmation that he was past it

I agree. He's too fat, and lacks mobility and agility. He's clearly nowhere near as good as most of our keepers over the past decade or so, but there are many out there worse then McKenzie. I would not like us to go into the new season with him as number 1, but hopefully we'll have a better organised defence in front of our goalkeeper this time around.

I agree. He's too fat, and lacks mobility and agility. He's clearly nowhere near as good as most of our keepers over the past decade or so, but there are many out there worse then McKenzie. I would not like us to go into the new season with him as number 1, but hopefully we'll have a better organised defence in front of our goalkeeper this time around.

Unlike the fine specimen of health and fitness that was Andy Goram when he played for us.

Des McKeown (reasonable) and Duncan Shields (awful) have also signed for us in the period since the fabulous Peter Dickson signed for us.

I'm sure there have been others. Was there not a Tommy Noonan or something like that?

A notable one who went the other way and went on to be a little successful was Bernie Slaven of course!

I'm sure there have been others. Was there not a Tommy Noonan or something like that?

A notable one who went the other way and went on to be a little successful was Bernie Slaven of course!

Tam Nolan? A guy who left Palmerston for Albion Rovers in 1985. A friend of mine who is now a multi millionaire ,he owns and lives in the Castle on Haggs Castle Golf Course. :)

Tam Nolan? A guy who left Palmerston for Albion Rovers in 1985. A friend of mine who is now a multi millionaire ,he owns and lives in the Castle on Haggs Castle Golf Course. :)

Might well be who I was thinking of. Time frame is about right. I knew there was someone with a name like that and a move involving Albion Rovers. Appears the move was the other way then. :lol:

85/86 was my first season watching and he was a fringe player who rarely made the first team. I'll forgive myself the sketchy memories.