The Queen of the South thread

U20's lose 2-1 down at Annan tonight . Moxon the scorer for Queens

Third defeat on the bounce, last night to a team bottom of the league who had only won once all season. Don't like losing to Annan on any level to be honest.

I blame Jim Thomson.

Haha, to be fair he is defiantly not the one to blame as he has had very little involvement with the group over the last month or so.

Third defeat on the bounce, last night to a team bottom of the league who had only won once all season. Don't like losing to Annan on any level to be honest.

Haha, to be fair he is defiantly not the one to blame as he has had very little involvement with the group over the last month or so.

Aye third defeat on the bounce yet the same players start most weeks with the same players sitting either on the bench, in the stand or at home each week. Play badly and you lose your place doesn't happen, it looks more like if your face fits your in, the keeper is a prime example.

Don't think Jim has much to do with the 20's as of late although both him and Fowler were at the game last night. They couldn't have been happy with the performance.

Aye third defeat on the bounce yet the same players start most weeks with the same players sitting either on the bench, in the stand or at home each week. Play badly and you lose your place doesn't happen, it looks more like if your face fits your in, the keeper is a prime example.

Don't think Jim has much to do with the 20's as of late although both him and Fowler were at the game last night. They couldn't have been happy with the performance.

You make a very valid & correct point, It's great that they have Fowler or sometimes Burns or Jim there on match days to give them some guidance & instruction, though that is the only time they see the lads as they have no involvement in any training that takes place apart from Jim on the very odd occasion, hence they don't pick the squads or teams for the games. I think everybody in & around it knows the problem but for whatever reason nothing is being done as yet. It's such a shame as I think Queens are getting so much right on & off the pitch as a club going forward at the moment but someone seems to be turning a blind eye regarding this matter.

People actually acting like under 20s results matter :lol:

If you'd have taken the time to read the posts you'd realise that for most the result isn't the issue it's favouritism and a lack of game time for a lot of lads.

With two games scheduled for next week, Ayr away on Monday and Edusport at home on Thursday there should be no excuse for not giving all the lads a run out, watch this space.

All the calls recently for us to get "a young SPL starlet on loan" had me racking my brain trying to recall some of the ones we have had in the past. A lower league team taking a "hot prospect" on loan from a team in a higher league is usually a winning formula in Football Manager but I tend to think the reality is less successful. If I was to hazard a guess I'd suggest that the majority are underwhelming for us, never mind going on to become a star at a higher level. The lucky ones, at best, forge a career at the level they found themselves at a young age. The only way to find out this is to make a list -

Goalkeepers -

Jamie Macdonald - Hit for us and a hit since. Not quite the new Craig Gordon but he has forged a reasonably successful career.

Cammy Bell - He was decent for us but I was never desperate for us to sign him permanently. He was starting to forge a career in the top flight and get involved with the national team when he opted to drop down the leagues and join the Govan gravy train.

Lee Robinson - Not sure how many times we've had him on loan in total, but he was a hit in all of them earning cult hero status. He's a bit of a journeyman but has forged a career at Championship level without doing enough to move any higher.

Zander Clark - I think he's been a hit for us. Early in his career but no reason he can't force his way into the St Johnstone side.

Defenders -

Craig Sives - Miss. Now at Livi which says it all.

Robbie Neilson - Hit. Probably our best loan signing along with Macdonald. The move clearly benefited both parties.

Dermot McCaffrey - Miss both for us, and since.

Midfielders -

Barry Callaghan - Miss both for us, and since. Dropped out of the game altogether I think.

Stevie Murray - I never rated him and his career since suggests he's a miss. He played a part in one of our "great escape" seasons though so possibly scrapes a hit.

Jamie Adams - Another multiple loan-signing. He appeared to have everything and was destined for the top. Sadly a series of serious knee injuries put paid to that. A real shame. Definitely a hit for us.

Attackers -

Jamie Mole - Miss in every way imaginable.

Graham Weir - Utterly hopeless, I'm still slightly seething he was offered a permanent deal. MISS!

Andrew Barrowman - See above. Offering a striker who scored zero goals whilst on loan a permanent deal sums up how we were ran in those days. Had a decent run whilst with Ross County in the 2nd Division. Miss elsewhere.

I'm sure there a load more that I've missed. It's a bit of food for thought though for those that think an unknown youth from the Scottish Premiership is going to change our season. Now that we have what appears to be a decent youth setup I'd much prefer we promoted some of our own prospects into the first team. That way those involved at the club know a bit about the lad rather than relying on the word of one of their "contacts" in the game.

Lee Robinson was only on loan once, from Rangers in his first spell when he was fairly underwhelming. He returned on a short term contract under Brannigan when we were short of a keeper and then Gus brought him back properly but on both occasions he was a proper signing.

Jamie Adams had FOUR different loan spells with us. Technically both Zander Clark and Jamie MacDonald have had two with a summer back at their own club in between.

You've missed several.

2014-15 Greg Kiltie

2013-14 Bob McHugh & Lewis Kidd

2011-12 John Potter

2010-11 Ryan Conroy

2009-10 Denis Wyness, Joe Hamill & Jordan McMillan

2008-09 Steven Kinniburgh

2007-08 David Bingham & John Stewart

2006-07 Craig Hinchcliffe

We also had David Nixon from Motherwell at some point, Stewart Greacen from Livingston early in his career. Paul McMullan was another from Hearts.

Paul Shields, Steven Kinningburgh, Stephen Bell, Robbie Henderson and Shaun Dillion (was he a loan?), are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Dillon wasn't a loan. Not convinced Bell was either but you may be right, can't recall. Beat you to Kinniburgh. Shields and Henderson are going back to 02/03, I didn't look that far back!

All the calls recently for us to get "a young SPL starlet on loan" had me racking my brain trying to recall some of the ones we have had in the past. A lower league team taking a "hot prospect" on loan from a team in a higher league is usually a winning formula in Football Manager but I tend to think the reality is less successful. If I was to hazard a guess I'd suggest that the majority are underwhelming for us, never mind going on to become a star at a higher level. The lucky ones, at best, forge a career at the level they found themselves at a young age. The only way to find out this is to make a list -

Goalkeepers -

Jamie Macdonald - Hit for us and a hit since. Not quite the new Craig Gordon but he has forged a reasonably successful career.

Cammy Bell - He was decent for us but I was never desperate for us to sign him permanently. He was starting to forge a career in the top flight and get involved with the national team when he opted to drop down the leagues and join the Govan gravy train.

Lee Robinson - Not sure how many times we've had him on loan in total, but he was a hit in all of them earning cult hero status. He's a bit of a journeyman but has forged a career at Championship level without doing enough to move any higher.

Zander Clark - I think he's been a hit for us. Early in his career but no reason he can't force his way into the St Johnstone side.

Defenders -

Craig Sives - Miss. Now at Livi which says it all.

Robbie Neilson - Hit. Probably our best loan signing along with Macdonald. The move clearly benefited both parties.

Dermot McCaffrey - Miss both for us, and since.

Midfielders -

Barry Callaghan - Miss both for us, and since. Dropped out of the game altogether I think.

Stevie Murray - I never rated him and his career since suggests he's a miss. He played a part in one of our "great escape" seasons though so possibly scrapes a hit.

Jamie Adams - Another multiple loan-signing. He appeared to have everything and was destined for the top. Sadly a series of serious knee injuries put paid to that. A real shame. Definitely a hit for us.

Attackers -

Jamie Mole - Miss in every way imaginable.

Graham Weir - Utterly hopeless, I'm still slightly seething he was offered a permanent deal. MISS!

Andrew Barrowman - See above. Offering a striker who scored zero goals whilst on loan a permanent deal sums up how we were ran in those days. Had a decent run whilst with Ross County in the 2nd Division. Miss elsewhere.

I'm sure there a load more that I've missed. It's a bit of food for thought though for those that think an unknown youth from the Scottish Premiership is going to change our season. Now that we have what appears to be a decent youth setup I'd much prefer we promoted some of our own prospects into the first team. That way those involved at the club know a bit about the lad rather than relying on the word of one of their "contacts" in the game.

Remember those times Graham Weir with his bright red cheeks would run around aimlessly for usually about 60 or 70 minutes then earn a standing ovation from the deluded crowd. Absolute definition of pish. Jamie Mole was a turgid footballer as well. Him and Bingham at the time were so ineffectual.