The Queen of the South thread

EDITED to add: Further to your point about four recent scalps (three in the last three seasons), we've also been much more competitive even in the ones we didn't win than the previous out with a whimper performances.

Last season Hearts needed penalties to beat us in the League Cup and St Mirren needed a replay in the Scottish Cup. Season before Dundee United were battered 0-1 after Hibs had been knocked out and Kilmarnock scraped past us 2-1 despite having a man advantage for 88 minutes. Even before that in the Gus season Aberdeen needed a replay to beat us in the Scottish Cup and only did that with a last minute goal.

All true.

I suppose it's another good marker of the club's progress in recent seasons.

We tended to bow out meekly, right up until the Aberdeen semi-final, which sparked a change (although we did take Aberdeen to a replay in our first season up).

The phenomenon peaked for me in that game against McCall's Dundee United. We were doing alright at the time, while United were on the ropes, having just been horsed 7-1 on TV by Rangers. It all seemed set up to be the game that saw McCall sacked, with the final nail hammered by his home town team.

Of course we crumbled, come the bit. Jim McIntyre scored one, while Colin Scott and Willie Gibson gifted goals with howlers. I think we were three down after half an hour or so.

You'd like to think that such events are less likely to unfold these days.

Any idea when the date for the Falkirk quarter final will be finalised? I'm thinking in terms of movement of the thing to suit television. 3pm on the Saturday would suit me fine, but it would be nice to know as soon as possible in advance.

Not until after the Berwick v Spartans tie has been decided you'd imagine

All true.I suppose it's another good marker of the club's progress in recent seasons.We tended to bow out meekly, right up until the Aberdeen semi-final, which sparked a change (although we did take Aberdeen to a replay in our first season up).The phenomenon peaked for me in that game against McCall's Dundee United. We were doing alright at the time, while United were on the ropes, having just been horsed 7-1 on TV by Rangers. It all seemed set up to be the game that saw McCall sacked, with the final nail hammered by his home town team. Of course we crumbled, come the bit. Jim McIntyre scored one, while Colin Scott and Willie Gibson gifted goals with howlers. I think we were three down after half an hour or so.You'd like to think that such events are less likely to unfold these days.

Yes that Dundee United game still grates on me.

I don't think United particularly got a "reaction" from their hammering by Rangers either. We just completely froze on the day.

Thankfully I didn't witness the massacre in Kilmarnock a few seasons back or I'd imagine I'd still be having nightmares about it now.

Luckily I also wasn't at either of the games against Falkirk in the season where we rather limped out of both cups against them.

We often talk about being unfairly viewed by other clubs and the media. Our poor record against top league opposition is largely to blame for this I suppose.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Happy Birthday to the tan man ,34 today .

Very much seconded. I thought he would be good for us when he signed from Cowdenbeath. More experienced and maybe dropping back to a more midfield role and supporting the young guys but he has exceeded all expectations

Even presuming thats correct it will only be league goals. He has about 70 odd goals for us in total.

(Using Soccerbase, and assuming it's accurate) Either that was just an educated guess, or you've definitely got a touch of Rain Man about you. They have Del on 70 goals for us! Even if that was just an educated guess without a quick glance at your records that's still pretty impressive tbf.

Again, assuming the website is accurate* then it says Del has scored 121 goals in all competitions in his professional career; from 1999/2000 season until the present day. So he's already hit the ton mark. As I said earlier in the topic though, a goal today would be special for him as it would make this officially his highest scoring season as a professional with 16 goals. Here's hoping he can make it a record goalscoring season with a winner today :)

* I'm unsure of it's accuracy, but it must surely be more reliable than Wiki? Not a dig at you Aggie, more that joke of a website.

Edited by 19QOS19

(Using Soccerbase, and assuming it's accurate) Either that was just an educated guess, or you've definitely got a touch of Rain Man about you. They have Del on 70 goals for us! Even if that was just an educated guess without a quick glance at your records that's still pretty impressive tbf.

He was telling me earlier that Qantas never crash.

2 things. I really like Holt but Harris is a level above him.

And Durnan is 3 notches above 'heid that ba'

And another thing...For most of the time Dobbie was with us he was fat, slow and disinterested.

And a 4th thing McShane can only dream about the awareness and ability of Tosh even when his legs were gone.

In a game where pace was needed Stewart was more effective than the ponderous fat one.