The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 25/07/2017 at 11:59, dingdong1929 said:

Aye, but I'm not sure u20 football and being 5th choice for the first team is great for his development.

It's Dylan Dykes that I'm thinking about at the moment.  He's already slipped off the bench - if Draper comes in then he'll do well to get any minutes between now and the Jan window.

16 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Davis Keillor-Dunn is the DL team's left-winger, but while he has been in match squads for the first team he hasn't been given any minutes yet.

This has had me properly seething when checking over the League Cup results and seeing none of the development squad players getting a run out. Hopefully he gets some minutes and an extended run in the team at some point.

I'm still a bit concerned about the state of the squad. Not entirely sure McIntyre/Dodds have fixed some of the obvious faults from last season. The defence appears to be fixed but it's difficult to read too much into games against third and fourth tier opposition. Hopefully not another seasons of spending months hoping a combination of players eventually gels.

15 minutes ago, yoda said:

This has had me properly seething when checking over the League Cup results and seeing none of the development squad players getting a run out. Hopefully he gets some minutes and an extended run in the team at some point.

It's clear that Roy has slashed the budget to accommodate ~18 first team players with an intention to play the gruaduating u20s more.  However, when push comes to shove Jimbo will always call on more experience; if the club are cut off at the bottom or are in danger of being so then the free agent market will be plundered.

Whether the manager would still have a job in that circumstance I'm not so sure.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

It's Dylan Dykes that I'm thinking about at the moment.  He's already slipped off the bench - if Draper comes in then he'll do well to get any minutes between now and the Jan window.

Aye, for numbers in central midfield we look ok.
The quality of those numbers isn't great though, with none of Chow, Routis, or Lindsey commanding much confidence as first team top flight players.  All capable, but none as capable as Draper (or JOB).  

Although JOB could then play wide... but then Keillor-Dunn is bumped down the queue.

Basically, I have big concerns about the standard of our midfield, but do share your concern regarding the like of Dykes if Draper comes in. 

I too am concerned about the quality in the middle, but I don't think we're any worse off than the majority of last season. Draper would make a big difference to my confidence levels though.

I'm unsurprised at the game time the former development squad players have got. Jim's obviously gone for the tactic of trying to get all of his most likely starters as fit and sharp and ready for the season as possible to try and get off to a quick start like he's done the last couple of seasons. He'll turn to the youth a little more as injuries and suspensions take their toll on the squad. I think most will get a chance at some game time to prove themselves but I in no way expected Jim to rely on any of them for Plan A.

1 hour ago, Spain said:

but I don't think we're any worse off than the majority of last season.

Given how poor we were, that isn't really any consolation.
We are stronger in defence, and hopefully MacKay will prove an able replacement for Boyce, will take some doing on his part though.

13 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Instead of winning or losing every game 3-2 like last year we will be watching a lot of 0-0s. Not sure if that's better. 

Aye, last season we needed to score 3 to have a chance of winning, or even getting a draw.

This season feels like its building up to just needing a goal.

Be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the window, and with McKay's introduction to the team.

Also interested to see if we move to a back 3 again, or persevere with 442.

Short version: early days.

4 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

Given how poor we were, that isn't really any consolation.
We are stronger in defence, and hopefully MacKay will prove an able replacement for Boyce, will take some doing on his part though.

Yes, but at present it appears that the management team still intend on improving on that situation whereas last year it took until the tail end for them to spot what was really wrong.

Don't know about any of you lot but I think Craig Sibbald would be a great addition to the squad. We miss someone who can pick the game up by the scruff of the neck and drive at the opposition. Not sure if he's still at Falkirk or not but I think he'd be a quality addition to our squad.

5 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Don't know about any of you lot but I think Craig Sibbald would be a great addition to the squad. We miss someone who can pick the game up by the scruff of the neck and drive at the opposition. Not sure if he's still at Falkirk or not but I think he'd be a quality addition to our squad.

How much would he cost though? He's 22 so would command a substantial development fee, don't think we'd be looking to pay that tbh.

58 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

How much would he cost though? He's 22 so would command a substantial development fee, don't think we'd be looking to pay that tbh.

That's why Sibbald hasn't signed for anyone yet. He's good but not good enough to pay say 200k+ for.

4 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Sibbald would be worth a punt, but a six figure fee would be too much for me. He's still untested in the top flight.

Yep, for all the lauding he get's from Falkirk fans about how good he is, he's never played higher than the Scottish Championship.  Can't be that good IMO.

Alstons been pretty average for us, flits in and out and honestly doesn't look like anymore than a cover player in a top six team. Imagine Sibbald would be around the same, nowhere near worth £200k anyway.

The Ross County Foundation has launched a new project that focuses on the history and heritage of football in the Highlands. The project will focus on gathering stories, memories and photos that focus on the history of Ross County Football Club but also the wider history of football in the Highlands. If you are interested in being involved in the project either by contributing some stories, memories or even in becoming a volunteer then we would encourage you to get in touch as we will be meeting regularly at the Global Energy Stadium as we look to build an exhibition that we can display at the Club later in the Autumn.

az7037.png