The General Ross County Chat Thread

That and he has the first touch of an elephant. Surely this will be a make or break season for Wood otherwise he'll be heading off to the likes of Peterhead to kick start his career.

Really harsh on Wood County's continually played one up last year any striker would have struggled the boys a really trier and with support and proper tatics he could play an important role for the club even as an impact sub.

Nice to see Vikington's wind up act still doesn't consist of anything other than misusing the word mercenary.

As for grown ups, I'd keep Gary Wood around as he can play that lone striker/backs to the wall role better than anyone else.

Oh, and who is Sam Morrow?

Edited by Savage Henry

Wood was very good at being an impact sub last season, and his physical presence was useful sometimes, especially in the replay against Hibs. He offered something different. I liked him in the 09/10 season.

However since the start of the 10/11 season he seemed to lose a fair bit of weight and just looked incredibly sluggish. He can no longer hold a man off the ball, and he can't even jump for a header. He's turned from something promising, into an utterly abysmal footballer.

Aye, basically this. He had a hellish virus for a while and lost all the weight, and apparently all the strength, skill and pace too. Shame as he was a handful before. Just awful now, really hope for his own sake as well as ours he can return to something like his previous form.

They have options but how many of them are prolific goalscorers?

County have an abundance of midfielders and attacking players, second strikers, call it what you want, but they appear dangerously reliant on a fairly average striker to get the goals: the major failing of last season. That's what they don't seem to get about 'di Jokamo' (the worst pun of the week ;)) - he's only a replacement for Stewart Kean so if he turns out to be at his worst, still probably an improvement on what we had. Getting Jackson too is an improvement on what we had. Is replacing (as it seems) Barrowman with McMenamin an improvement? Not convinced.

The main problem last season was our forwards were isolated, we werent getting enough support up there. It wasnt the level of quality of our striker(s). I imagine Adams is going to make sure we get a lot more support going forward this season. I dont think there's anything dangerous about having McMenamin as an obvious first-choice striker... You're also a Morton fan so you dont need to be convinced about County's signing policy or tactics. You dont really need to continually be in our thread either, but i suppose we'll just have to tolerate you. Highland hospitality ;)

You're also a Morton fan so you dont need to be convinced about County's signing policy or tactics. You dont really need to continually be in our thread either, but i suppose we'll just have to tolerate you. Highland hospitality ;)

Last time I checked this was supposed to be an open forum (well until everyone else apart from us built up these silly 'one-club threads' then cry that other people are 'obsessed' by being in them) so I'll criticise as and where I wish to.

Last time I checked this was supposed to be an open forum (well until everyone else apart from us built up these silly 'one-club threads' then cry that other people are 'obsessed' by being in them) so I'll criticise as and where I wish to.

Was tongue in cheek VT, hence the crap highland hospitality line and cheeky wink. More than welcome as its an open forum, but also as you've asked a few relevant questions and arent just a tedious wind-up merchant. As patronising as that sounds... its not meant to!

How did you guys get away without a one-club thread?? We tried a few times to have splinter threads or whatever you want to call them, but they kept getting merged.

How did you guys get away without a one-club thread?? We tried a few times to have splinter threads or whatever you want to call them, but they kept getting merged.

We've kept most of our transfer chat to the pinned thread (apart from putting it all over yours ;)) and use greenockmorton.org for most of our 'in-house' chat.

We've kept most of our transfer chat to the pinned thread (apart from putting it all over yours ;)) and use greenockmorton.org for most of our 'in-house' chat.

Crafty work VT, crafty work indeed. We make good use of 'thejailender' website, but are quite self-important so reiterate it here in our own dedicated thread tongue.gif

I see Gus McPherson admits in the paper today that he regrets rejecting us in November. Understandable.

Nice way to ingratiate yourself with your new club's supporters.

It's a pretty decent article really and a pleasure to read some half decent press coverage from our manager for a change. Refreshing. :rolleyes:

As for the County offer, I don't see the problem really. All he's saying is that at the time he turned it down because he thought something better would come along soon (and County would have meant relocating his home, QoS doesn't). It didn't and he remained out of work. We're pretty lucky to have got him really. He's got close to much bigger jobs but didn't get them and has got fed up not working so he's jumped aboard. I don't think anyone at Palmerston is under any illusions that County isn't a better management gig at the moment. You've just taken two of our better players by being able to offer them more money and longer terms deals than we can. Such is life. That's why it will be a real test for MacPherson. However John McGlynn (and Gus himself a few years ago) has already shown that it is possible to punch above your weight at this level.

It's a pretty decent article really and a pleasure to read some half decent press coverage from our manager for a change. Refreshing. :rolleyes:

As for the County offer, I don't see the problem really. All he's saying is that at the time he turned it down because he thought something better would come along soon (and County would have meant relocating his home, QoS doesn't). It didn't and he remained out of work. We're pretty lucky to have got him really. He's got close to much bigger jobs but didn't get them and has got fed up not working so he's jumped aboard. I don't think anyone at Palmerston is under any illusions that County isn't a better management gig at the moment. You've just taken two of our better players by being able to offer them more money and longer terms deals than we can. Such is life. That's why it will be a real test for MacPherson. However John McGlynn (and Gus himself a few years ago) has already shown that it is possible to punch above your weight at this level.

Can't say I've read the piece, but you are right, there's nothing inherently wrong with the gist of that. And given most of your previous manager's press dealings were diatribes against toothfairies, I suspect it will come as a relief to most QOS fans to hear a bit of openness from your manager.

Can't say I've read the piece, but you are right, there's nothing inherently wrong with the gist of that. And given most of your previous manager's press dealings were diatribes against toothfairies, I suspect it will come as a relief to most QOS fans to hear a bit of openness from your manager.

It's Here

I went looking for it when I read that above.

Thanks for the link SD, think he comes across pretty well in that piece, and assuming the majority of QoS fans are as appreciative of the situation as you are I would think/hope the quote wouldnt be taken out of context and held against him.

I imagine Tyler will be on soon enough, rubbing it in that even your manager would rather be here, as well as your best players wink.gif (that wasnt me having a dig, that was me giving an example of how a mean person may make a dig.... sad to see whats happened down there lately, all the best with Big Gus).

Yes, there's a lot to be said for that approach rather than, say, Jimmy Calderwood's belittling approach to being in the first division.

All the stories coming out of his time at County are of him being an arrogant, patronising p***k. Results and performance-wise I'd have liked him to stay, but if the financial demands and personality issues were true, f**k him. f**k him hard and deep.