Cheap as Chips

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is this going to cost a fortune when the rates change or will it be OK because it cooks things slowly? I've never really understood the impact.

Actually is this just outside like type of normal bbq? Though my question still remains ie slow cookers in the house.

Yeh bog standard normal bbq, ive got a pellet grill but you can slow cook on either. 

Did they make a vegan eat butter? Thats a bit shit surely?

anyway, i fair like my slow cook bbq, bit of brisket, or some other cut, nice salt and pepper rub, slow cool on a wood or charcoal grill, get it with a nice bark. Off cuts (before cooking) can be minced and made into a burger, which I really love doing. You got yourself a bit of beef which will feed the family, any left overs can be chopped up and used to make a chilli, loads of pinto or red kidney beans. One of my favourite things to do. 

Also, i use a similar base for bolognaise as chilli so a big packet of mince can be used to bulk cook a decent chilli or bolognaise, gives a bit of variety. Just toast the spices off and add the bol and some beans (chorizo if you like that) and you’ve got a couple of meals from each pot. 

Agree re using a whole chicken, again, get it on the bbq, get some smoke into it, fajitas (the small flour ones from tesco are superb) one night, pulled chicken and chips with a bbq sauce another. Soup after (and with the smoky flavour it’d be superb). Im definitely looking more towards the low and slow stuff for meals, cheaper cuts that i can impart a lot of flavour into and make last for at least 2 meals each. 
I bought a massive pork shoulder and did slow cooked pulled pork but the oven ended up on for 8 hours and the wife started moaning about energy use. It was fantastic though and you could squash it through your fingers at the end. Had it on panini buns with chipotle mayo and slaw that night, in a chilli next day and froze the rest which was cooked later in the week with green lentils and a mustard and philly cheese sauce. Probably adding the value of the overall dishes was still cost efficient.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Fill the freezer with heaps of stuff from Farmfoods or Iceland.

Get an old person to go for your messages on a Tuesday to Iceland or the Food Warehouse: 10% off.

https://sustainability.iceland.co.uk/news/iceland-becomes-the-first-uk-supermarket-to-offer-special-discount-for-over-60s/

I'd go for you, but you won't be surprised to learn I don't live in the city.

24 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Yeah agreed though my concern is when they start talking about planned blackouts.

Never thought about this, good point, don't overstock then.

Re slow cookers, they are very economical, using one is on the low scale for electrical appliances. Since cooking costs impact on the budget, things like using a microwave for a single cup of tea rather than putting on an electricity guzzling kettle, and having a shower with the woman across the road rather than alone, are the sort of things which should be considered.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Happily eating horse at that. Wish they'd change back, it tasted much better with added bits of Seabiscuit

At the very least horse meat is likely to be free range. Down south, probably on a diet of sugar lumps on cup final day. 

29 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Food flavoured products. Delicious.

90% of the stuff in there is exactly the same stuff you get in all the major supermarkets. They also have a wider selection of frozen fruit and vegetables. I won't hear a bad word said about Farmfoods and there is a very enticing MILF that works in the one in Lochee.

I would not be going to Home Bargains for chicken. Lord knows where they source them. 
Lidl do a whole corn fed free range chicken at a reasonable price. 
Poland I'm semi-reliably informed. That's where most of our cheep cheap chicken comes from.

I bought a massive pork shoulder and did slow cooked pulled pork but the oven ended up on for 8 hours and the wife started moaning about energy use. It was fantastic though and you could squash it through your fingers at the end. Had it on panini buns with chipotle mayo and slaw that night, in a chilli next day and froze the rest which was cooked later in the week with green lentils and a mustard and philly cheese sauce. Probably adding the value of the overall dishes was still cost efficient.
Do it in the slow cooker in about a litre or so of apple juice. [emoji519] 4 hours or so will do it.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

90% of the stuff in there is exactly the same stuff you get in all the major supermarkets. They also have a wider selection of frozen fruit and vegetables. I won't hear a bad word said about Farmfoods and there is a very enticing MILF that works in the one in Lochee.

That’s tomorrow sorted.