Cheap as Chips

In all seriousness the key here is the same as it is with energy.

Just dont waste stuff. Plan what you will need, buy it, and use it. Every bit of unused food that goes in the bin renders what you did use it for more expensive. Anyone who cooks from scratch and doesn't chuck out stuff that hasn't been used in time is cooking cheaply (obviously unless they are pushing the boat out on gallus cuts of meat etc)

I suppose some other more specific things could be that chicken thighs are cheaper and taste better than breast.

A whole chicken is tremendous value compared to packaged cuts of any sort.

And f**k Asda, tesco, sainsburys etc. Lidl or Aldi all the way.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In all seriousness the key here is the same as it is with energy.

Just dont waste stuff. Plan what you will need, buy it, and use it. Every bit of unused food that goes in the bin renders what you did use it for more expensive. Anyone who cooks from scratch and doesn't chuck out stuff that hasn't been used in time is cooking cheaply (obviously unless they are pushing the boat out on gallus cuts of meat etc)

I suppose some other more specific things could be that chicken thighs are cheaper and taste better than breast.

No they don’t.  Not even chicken breast.

Lidl can get in the bin since they stopped their two for £1 on pizzas slices.

Mr Alli left his card at home to curb frivolous spending and had only enough for 2 pizza slices. Ended up with two bone dry, salty pretzels and 10p change.

Lidl bastirts 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Lidl can get in the bin since they stopped their two for £1 on pizzas slices.

Mr Alli left his card at home to curb frivolous spending and had only enough for 2 pizza slices. Ended up with two bone dry, salty pretzels and 10p change.

Lidl bastirts 

The pretzels are class

Agree with this. Thigh is a far nicer cut IMO and tastes better than breast.

I was in Tesco for some kind of seasoning the other day and had a look at their prices for meat and can't believe folk can afford to do a weekly shop there. Absolutely extortionate. f**k knows how expensive Waitrose is now. We use Lidl and go to Morrisons for the wee bits we can't get there. Though I was in Home Bargains the other day and never realised they did as much fruit/veg and meat. Their chicken is cheaper than Lidl. Next shop I'll be starting there before heading to Lidl.

Agree about doing the butchering yourself as well. 8 skinned and boned thighs at Lidl is about £4.40 the now. It's about £2.50 for the same portion but with skin and bones. Cut it yourself and save the money is a no-brainer IMO.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Buy a Pinch of Nom book or two.

Looked these up, they seem to be slimming recipes: maybe not the best option for folk who are struggling to feed themselves, but I get the point about spices.

Stovies/Scouce is a good cheap option, using tinned corned beef as it doesn't need pre-cooked thus saving energy. As suggested by @19QOS19, spices can be used to vary the recipe, or condiments like brown sauce or mustard: as a special treat surprise, a piece of cheese on the bottom of the plate brings delight to the consumer.

Seconding buying the whole chicken.  First day does roast chicken/tatties/veg. Second day, having picked the carcass, the meat does some sort of curry. And third day, boil down the carcass and you’ll get a decent base for a pan of chicken noodle soup. 

Looked these up, they seem to be slimming recipes: maybe not the best option for folk who are struggling to feed themselves, but I get the point about spices.
Stovies/Scouce is a good cheap option, using tinned corned beef as it doesn't need pre-cooked thus saving energy. As suggested by [mention=12169]19QOS19[/mention], spices can be used to vary the recipe, or condiments like brown sauce or mustard: as a special treat surprise, a piece of cheese on the bottom of the plate brings delight to the consumer.

They are but that's usually in regards to sauces and accompaniments. A lot of the recipes suggest salad to with it etc. Just put in some veg or tatties instead and it's certainly hearty meals. They will give you enough to make a wee bit of sauce to go with the food but I'll usually double those ingredients; which is still cheap.

I'd say they are perfect for folk on a budget and certainly filling meals.