The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

Week 44 update

Nothing this week. So I may as well do Matthew Perry: Matthew Perry obituary | Matthew Perry | The Guardian

The actor Matthew Perry, who has been found dead at his home aged 54, brought a wry sense of humour to the role of Chandler Bing in Friends, the American sitcom featuring six twentysomethings in Manhattan facing the ups and down of everyday life.

“Chandler’s a guy who’s just not comfortable in his own skin – he’s got a great excuse to be funny,” said Perry of the sarcastic, neurotic character in the programme that ran from 1994 to 2004. “He’s an exaggerated form of me.”

The neurosis partly came from Chandler experiencing the divorce of his parents when he was nine and using humour as a defence mechanism. It echoed Perry’s own life, with his mother and father splitting up by his first birthday.

Since his death last week, there are seventeen articles relating to him in some way on the Guardian website. When I was reading about him after he died I saw a quote from his 2022 autobiography - "when I die everyone will be shocked, but no-one will be surprised." This was a reference to his health problems caused by years of alcohol and drug addiction, but I have to say I'm honestly taken aback by how much people seem to like Friends.

In 2007 when I first got a TV with more than five channels I discovered Friends through E4. Two episodes every weekday at 5pm, then two episodes of Scrubs at 6pm. I'd watch the whole series through then it'd start from the beginning again and I'd start again. This would have lasted a few years. I think eventually E4 stopped showing them and I went a while without it. Then a few years later I bought the complete series on DVD. The first disc isn't there. I got a box that had two copies of disc 2 of series 1 by mistake, but I didn't open it for a few weeks and binned the receipt so I'm stuck with it. 

Anyway, when I watched the whole series for the first time in a few years I was struck by something. The six friends were all absolutely awful people. Really horrible and obnoxious. I think Chandler was the only one who had any sympathy about him. And while I'm here, the only one of the women who was ever attractive was Phoebe in the first series. That's it.

Even before Perry died I've wondered over the past few years quite why people like Friends so much. Maybe since James Michael Tyler died a few years ago. Someone I once knew described the programme as "chewing gum for the eyes" which I think holds up. It's familiar, it's inviting and it's reassuring in a way that's rare. Ten years and 200+ episodes makes it easy to just put some on and feel comfortable. You're watching Friends, you're watching friends, you're with friends. Maybe there's an analysis in there about quite how reliant on media at the expense of real relationships people can be nowadays. There's an irony that I'm sitting thinking aloud on this when it's Chandler, the awkward, broken one, who's died. There's a timelessness to the episodes which I think helps too.

Apparently Perry got 20 million dollars a year out of Friends reruns. I guess the other five do too. Do they get an extra 4 million each? Either way, with this and his health problems in mind it's interesting to look at his filmography and see how little else he did. I only know him for two things besides friends. An episode of Scrubs where he was the reluctant son of a patient who he resented for naming him Murray and constantly upstaging him. It felt like an extension of Chandler but in a different setting and with Dr. Cox there to bollock some sense into him, it still felt unique.

The other thing I know him for, and which you should to, is this:

It seems there's almost a full hour of this primo content. Now things feel a bit dated.

Perry died at 54 so he's worth 71 Base Points for @btb, @kilMARKnock and @throbber. As the official cause of death is as yet unknown I'll keep an eye on this and see if he's due an Unnatural Causes bonus. It doesn't seem to have been caused by drugs, so you're needing the early reports of him drowning if you want extra points. If he had a heart attack and then drowned I'll go full insurance adjuster and refuse the bonus because it was the heart attack, not the hot tub. Maybe.

As a result of this, the standings look like this:

1. cdhafc1874 422
2. JustOneCornetto 405

3. psv_killie 376
4. Karpaty Lviv 300

5. Michael W 295
6. Arbroathlegend36-0, peasy23 288
8. chomp my root 271
9. Arabdownunder 267

10. Desp 264
11. Mark Connolly, weirdcal 263
13. qos_75 260
14. sophia 246

15. LoonsYouthTeam 245
16. The Naitch 240
17. ThomCat 239
18. throbber 137

19. The DA, Scorge 235
21. gkneil 234
22. Ziggy Sobotka 229
23. Ludo*1 227

24. buddiepaul 226
25. Billy Jean King 225
26. Bert Raccoon 222
27. amnarab 219
28. Ned Nederlander 209
29. microdave 205
30. HI HAT 201

31. Miguel Sanchez 199
32. Enigma 197
33. DG.Roma 193

34. Bully Wee Villa 192
35. TxRover 190
36. kilMARKnock 187
37. lolls 180
38. Donathan, Sweaty Morph 179
40. Frosty, HK Hibee 173
42. djchapsticks 172

43. Shotgun 170
44. Savage Henry 169
45. dee_62 167

46. D.V.T. 166
47. Fuctifano 164

48. ParsJake 160
49. pub car king, The_Craig 157
51. Aim Here 155
52. HTG 154

53. paulathame 153
54. Indale Winton 142
55. mozam76 140
56. alta-pete 139
57. get_the_subbies_on 138
58. willie adie 134
59. ICTJohnboy 128
60. pawpar 126

61. thistledo 125
62. GermanJag 123

63. Christophe 114
64. doulikefish, tamthebam, The Master 111
67. Melanius Mullarkay 110
68. statts1976uk 107

69. Arch Stanton, DeeTillEhDeh 101
71. Lofarl 99
72. Oystercatcher, Priti priti priti Patel, weemac 97
75. atfccfc, Ray Patterson 96
77. sleazy 94

78. Moomintroll 93
79. dagane, The Hologram 87
81. sparky88 84
82. blackislekillie 74
83. btb, Jimmy Baker, senorsoupe 71
86. choirbairn 70

87. superwell87 69
88. lichtgilphead 67
89. expatowner 60
90. BillyAnchor, Lex, superbigal 58
93. Dunning1874 55
94. Empty It 48
95. ayrunitedfw, Duszek, nessies long lost ghost, Oceanlineayr, Salvo Montalbano, San Starko, Shipa 39
102. mathematics 37
103. 10menwent2mow, mizfit, parxyz, scottsdad, Suspect Device 32
108.  Derry Alli, stanton 31
110. PWL 29
111. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Perry was in a pretty forgettable movie with Neve Campbell some 25 years ago called “three to tango”. There was a scene in it where they were at an art exhibition and the artist had painted countries flags on peoples arses and Perry in true form approaches an attractive woman who’s sat next to one such picture and says “I never knew things were so hairy in Bosnia!”

His appearance in scrubs was great / it was his actual real life father in the episode as well.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Perry was in a pretty forgettable movie with Neve Campbell some 25 years ago called “three to tango”. There was a scene in it where they were at an art exhibition and the artist had painted countries flags on peoples arses and Perry in true form approaches an attractive woman who’s sat next to one such picture and says “I never knew things were so hairy in Bosnia!”

His appearance in scrubs was great / it was his actual real life father in the episode as well.

His real life father was in an episode of Friends as well. 

18 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

@Sergeant Wilson is the man for advice on these matters 

Let's not forget Eilish at this difficult time.

PS, Given Mum and daughter weigh a total of seven stone, dressed in soaking wet duffle coats, I doubt it'll be a steak pie do.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Let's not forget Eilish at this difficult time.

PS, Given Mum and daughter weigh a total of seven stone, dressed in soaking wet duffle coats, I doubt it'll be a steak pie do.

A duffel coat (also duffle coat) is a coat made from duffel cloth, designed with toggle-and-rope fastenings, patched pockets and a large hood. The name derives from Duffel, a town in the province of Antwerp in Belgium where the manufacturing process of this kind of fabric, a coarse, thick, woolen cloth originated.[1] Duffel bags were originally made from the same material.

(Saturday School courtesy of Wikipedia.)