The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

17 hours ago, Derek Patterson said:

Nothing official yet but seems that Killing Joke guitarist Geordie Walker is away.

Absolutely unique player. 

Totally irreplaceable. 

Drawn towards The Hum indeed. 

https://youtu.be/bbkzX5e6hHs?si=zKnQIp8OqNd4fwNn

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/nov/27/kevin-geordie-walker-influential-guitarist-with-killing-joke-dies-aged-64

"With a beautifully multi-layered guitar sound that pointed the way to the shoegaze scene, and which also took in the spiky urgency of punk, the acute melody of pop and the crushing weight of heavy metal, Walker was – alongside frontman Jaz Coleman – the only consistent member of Killing Joke since the band’s formation in 1978.

Born in County Durham in 1958 and schooled in Buckinghamshire, where he acquired his “Geordie” nickname, Walker initially responded to an ad Coleman had placed in the music press. “This guy kept calling saying ‘Hi, I’ve never been in a band before, I’ve only ever played in my mum’s bedroom, but I’m the best guitarist ever’,” Coleman later said. “I couldn’t get rid of him … He comes in for a cuppa and spots my fishing rods, so we have a conversation about fishing for six hours. After which he announced that he had nowhere to live so I said he could stay with me. Geordie moved in three weeks before I actually heard him play. When he did it was like a fire from heaven.”

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

6 hours ago, throbber said:

Did anyone else know that Terry Venables dropped the c bomb as a pundit after the 99 champions league final? he had clearly had a few drinks and called schmeical a lucky c*nt.

Whole discussion about this on the Quickly, Kevin... podcast. Haven't heard the latest episode but last I heard nobody had any recorded proof. Yet.

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Whole discussion about this on the Quickly, Kevin... podcast. Haven't heard the latest episode but last I heard nobody had any recorded proof. Yet.

My friend banged on about it for years and i always thought he was talking shite but he still had the vhs of the final which he dug out and showed me the footage probably about 2003 time.

Venables was talking about the time Bayern hit the post and Schmeical had given up on it whilst the ball looped over him then it fortunately bounced into his arms.

On 27/11/2023 at 19:05, throbber said:

My friend banged on about it for years and i always thought he was talking shite but he still had the vhs of the final which he dug out and showed me the footage probably about 2003 time.

Venables was talking about the time Bayern hit the post and Schmeical had given up on it whilst the ball looped over him then it fortunately bounced into his arms.

they had the audio of it one one of the last ones. It does sound a bit like c**t (although the Chris guy reckons it sounded like coat!). 

It's in the context of the Bayern manager Hitzfeld being a lucky {something] and the latest comments by folk on their instagram post reckon it's "coach", as the sentence is "you told me Hitzfeld was a lucky c**t/coat/coach", the latter obviously makes the most sense.

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/11/29/benidorm-legend-sticky-vicky-has-passed/

Was going to post "Stiffy Vicky" as a death-related pun, but that just sounds like it might have been part of her act.

An autopsy could be interesting. No saying what they might find in there.

We went to Benidorm for a mates 21st back in the late 80s. Must have seen her about 3 times in different clubs and bars over the 10 days. My over riding memory was she was ancient then so I'm a tad surprised she was only 80. Never could watch table tennis after those nights !

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

We went to Benidorm for a mates 21st back in the late 80s. Must have seen her about 3 times in different clubs and bars over the 10 days. My over riding memory was she was ancient then so I'm a tad surprised she was only 80. Never could watch table tennis after those nights !

X-ray of her body.

IMG_0161.jpeg

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Somebody will have him on their list, surely.

Lord Jim was one of those old fashioned posh landed Tories (unlike the spivs they have in charge now). I met him briefly when I worked in the Scottish Parliament (sealing brown envelopes full of backhanders) and he was a polite chap. Apparently he used to hold the car door open for his chaffeaur. 

Also a Boxing Blue when at Oxford so you wouldn't have spilled his pint. 

9 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

jaws-license.gif