Greenock Morton vs Ayr United

Just now, stevep56 said:

Wonder how much postponing the game will cost Morton today?   I guess they may have got 400+ extra people, with it being a bank holiday, than they would do on a Tuesday night in February or whatever.  

On top of the bank holiday, Morton created a good buzz by drip feeding the re-signing of Grimshaw and extensions to Gillespie and Crawford over the last few days. Celtic cup tickets were starting to be sold today for out of towners also.

The attendance gap between today and the rescheduled match might be even bigger than that.

Disappointing.

24 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Going by our injury list its a great result even though very frustrating 

Agreed, I dunno what some of your fans are mumping about. We're on a great run of 10 undefeated and you have a lot of injury problems, I'd've thought a sigh of relief would've been more like it. 

Aye, it's really frustrating when a game's aff on what looks like a good day for it, but anybody thinking Morton wouldn't have tried hard to get the game on wants their bumps felt - not just do we want to keep the momentum going, we're now going to be two full months without any home game income. Hospitality was sold out, that won't be the case when the rescheduled game is played and the crowd will be well down too.  Bloody disappointing start to the year, and after some great news on the player front over the last few days, but torrential rain in the run up to the game followed by a really heavy frost has pissed both sets of fans off. 

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

13 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Been up to Poundland for them?

😂😂😂.  This, from a guy whose team had about half a dozen games postponed in mild weather a couple of seasons back because their pitch was only fit for mud-wrestling.....   Talk about short memories......... 

13 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Grass around Cappielow is thawed. Can only think the ref wanted to get away to watch his big team, not giving it the slightest chance. Total farce. 

Grow up. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

On top of the bank holiday, Morton created a good buzz by drip feeding the re-signing of Grimshaw and extensions to Gillespie and Crawford over the last few days. Celtic cup tickets were starting to be sold today for out of towners also.

The attendance gap between today and the rescheduled match might be even bigger than that.

Disappointing.

This.

I'm pretty sure the club will be feeling the exact same way as the fans do. Disappointing but the decision has been made and we get on with it.

I was out for my constitutional stroll around 3 and the frost hadn't lifted in the shade at all, and that's down on the Riviera proper. So while the early inspection didn't sit well, I don't think giving it more time would have helped in the end.

The real issue is why our pitch was frozen in the first place. It was -3 at worst for a few hours, so whatever protection we have in place is not fit for purpose for Scottish winter football. The stand side area is always a risk but we've had games on in similar conditions in the past.

It's something that the club needs to look at because it's now costing money and is also sapping momentum with our next three games once again being all away from home. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was out for my constitutional stroll around 3 and the frost hadn't lifted in the shade at all, and that's down on the Riviera proper. So while the early inspection didn't sit well, I don't think giving it more time would have helped in the end.

The real issue is why our pitch was frozen in the first place. It was -3 at worst for a few hours, so whatever protection we have in place is not fit for purpose for Scottish winter football. The stand side area is always a risk but we've had games on in similar conditions in the past.

It's something that the club needs to look at because it's now costing money and is also sapping momentum with our next three games once again being all away from home. 

Unless the covers were down for most of last week the pitch wouldn't have had time to dry out sufficiently after three days and nights of  heavy rain and there will have been plenty of water sitting there waiting to freeze. 

After last week's monsoons the game might have been called off due to surface water had it been scheduled for Saturday - again, unless the covers had been down for days.