Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

5 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Getting annoyed because it always seemed to be you getting told to get up and change the channel on the TV.

Not so much a saying but, if you were lucky enough to have 2 TVs in the house, the second was always a black and white portable with a circular internal aerial stuck in the back.

Our 2nd telly was a colour one, but it had a manual dial you used to tune in the channel. There were no stored channels

Just now, Hayseed said:

At the pictures, Standing up at the end of a movie for the national anthem. God help anybody who left during it. They’d get daggers from the coffin dodgers if they dared. 

I thought I was old.. 

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

Prank calling people with silly names was a good laugh although in retrospect i feel sorry for the Reverend Dick. 

One of the most famous computer hackers Kevin Mitnick started out his “career” finding ways to bypass the telephone system to do prank calls iirc from reading his autobiography. 

Clever guy.

No doubt he has an alias on here and clearly supports St Mirren. 😂 

Not a saying but one of my favourite activities back in the day was sellotaping fishing gut to a pound note and dropping it out of the first floor window. About 1 in 50 clocked it but the rest had a go at picking it up. I distinctly remember an old dear chasing after it for ages before eventually realising and shaking her umbrella angrily at us (no euph).

I feel bad thinking back now but was tremendous at the time.

See also attaching to someone's letterbox.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

21 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

Anybody remember the screeching noise your 48k Spectrum made when downloading a game?

Spending a day typing in code to play a game only to find the game was crap!

S**t, my first modem was a 900…that’s 0.9 kps

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

That's high 20s for you weenies...

Except it would have said “Made in Japan”.

6 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Getting annoyed because it always seemed to be you getting told to get up and change the channel on the TV.

Not so much a saying but, if you were lucky enough to have 2 TVs in the house, the second was always a black and white portable with a circular internal aerial stuck in the back.

Aye, we got relegated to the back room to watch Live Aid in glorious monochrome while Faatha watched snooker or a John Wayne film or something on the colour TV

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I used to tell my parents that the only reason they had me was so they wouldn't need to change the TV channel themselves.

My granny didn’t want to use the TV remote control because she thought it might set the curtains on fire if she missed the TV.

She hated technology and fascism. God bless her.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

There are probably a whole list of phrases to do with using the operator to deal with a call.

My favourite is an old Laurel and Hardy sketch where they enter a room and the phone rings.  Laurel answers and says "It certainly is" and then hangs up.  Hardy looks at him and says "Who was that?".  Laurel replies "somebody on the phone said 'it is a long distance from Australia'". 

"Pardon me, my ear is full of milk"

Kids probably haven't seen any Laurel and Hardy shorts on the telly either. Or know who Harold Lloyd is 

There was a teacher at our school called Harry (the b*****d. Not a bloke from Rumbelows) and they made up a song about him to the Harold Lloyd tune.