Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not a saying but mind having to get a code from the tv listings in the newspaper to video record something on the telly. 

On a similar note, having to do trial and error with the 30 blank video tapes you had to find what you wanted to watch, only to find your brother had taped over it a few weeks earlier. 

That was VideoPlus. Certain VCRs had the feature. It meant you could fire the code in and it would automatically record the program, meaning you didn't have to go and physically push the record button. Handy for late night shows.

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

"do ye teach your granny how to suck eggs" 

I have heard this before but have no idea what it means.

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Does anybody ever phone the speaking clock to get the right time?

Is that still a thing?

11 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Going in to a restaurant and being asked if you want to sit in smoking or non smoking, wtf is that about?

not to diverge the topic but really who wants to puff a fag while you sit down for a nice steak or something?

See also: smoking on planes

34 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

See also: smoking on planes

In Malpensa airport recently where the departure lounge has one of those wee glass cuboid things with, presumably, extractor fans where about 20 people were crammed in having a smoke. It's not in a corner but right in the middle of the floor. A very sad scene.

On another note, I was unaware until recently about the fact that there are various closing lines to this song...

Stop the bus, I want a wee wee

Stop the bus I want a wee wee

A wee wee....

Complete as you remember it being in your part of the country.

9 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

On another note, I was unaware until recently about the fact that there are various closing lines to this song...

A wee wee....

I always thought it was 'Stop the bus, I need a wee wee'

My last line was ' A wee wee I must do'

My wife sang 'The driver needs one too'

4 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I always thought it was 'Stop the bus, I need a wee wee'

My last line was ' A wee wee I must do'

My wife sang 'The driver needs one too'

😁 Another new one.

Where I'm from we sang, "A wee wee bag of chips" but during a discussion with extended family there were varying lines such as, "a wee wee drink of juice" or "a wee wee cup of tea".

ETA. In keeping with the thread, this will now be moot as kids will all be sat on their phones/ipads/smartwatches looking at daft videos on YouTube together.

Edited by jimbaxters

22 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

A wee wee....

Must say I hadn't heard that one.

Another old one often sang on works picnics etc was " Oh You Cannae Shove Your Granny Aff the bus..."

A few years back at election time there was a debate between Nicola Sturgeon, Ruth Davidson and a couple of other party leaders. I remember the media saying the next day that it had been like a "Stairheid rammy"

I hadn't heard that one before. 

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In 1973 Brazilian Varig Flight 820 crashed and this was attributed to a discarded fag in the toilets.   Only 11 survivors out of 134.  (10 crew, 1 passenger).

As an aside, it's not a great look where only 1 passenger made it out yet 10 crew did.  

I was actually thinking about this a few weeks back, when I described doing something quite complex to a colleague as 'like being on the Krypton Factor', and was met with a blank expression. Didn't think it was that old a show, but there you go!

Also, would describing haphazard driving on a busy road as 'Wacky Races' be lost after a certain generation?

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

I was actually thinking about this a few weeks back, when I described doing something quite complex to a colleague as 'like being on the Krypton Factor', and was met with a blank expression. Didn't think it was that old a show, but there you go!

Also, would describing haphazard driving on a busy road as 'Wacky Races' be lost after a certain generation?

2 good ones there which I also still use.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

That was VideoPlus. Certain VCRs had the feature. It meant you could fire the code in and it would automatically record the program, meaning you didn't have to go and physically push the record button. Handy for late night shows.

I have heard this before but have no idea what it means.

Is that still a thing?

Basically when someone tries to tell you how to do something that you already know how to do lol

f**k knows where it originated from mind you