Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

On another note, I was unaware until recently about the fact that there are various closing lines to this song...

Stop the bus, I want a wee wee

Stop the bus I want a wee wee

Stop the bus I want a wee wee

A wee wee....

Complete as you remember it being in your part of the country.

In Fife it was "a wee wee drink of gin" 

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

“It’s a Duesy” would have been posted on the cork board version of P&B in the 70’s as an example.

50 years earlier than that.

“It’s a Duesy” was once a common expression – For People Proud of their German Heritage (edsimoneit.blog)

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

In Malpensa airport recently where the departure lounge has one of those wee glass cuboid things with, presumably, extractor fans where about 20 people were crammed in having a smoke. It's not in a corner but right in the middle of the floor. A very sad scene.

They have one in Munich too. I think it's even sponsored by Camel 😂

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

To call something a Brammer, meant something superior.

I have read that it came from an exceptional breed of bull called a Brahman, but more likely to come from Joseph Bramah's unpickable lock.

As used by Ian Drury: 

Noël Coward was a charmer

As a writer he was brahma

Velvet jackets and pyjamas

"The Gay Divorce" and other dramas

There ain't half been some clever b*****ds

(Lucky bleeders, lucky bleeders)

There ain't half been some clever bas-tards

26 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

To call something a Brammer, meant something superior.

I have read that it came from an exceptional breed of bull called a Brahman, but more likely to come from Joseph Bramah's unpickable lock.

Brahmin is also used as a term for the Boston/Harvard elite of the early 19thC and poets like Longfellow (ooh, Matron) and it's said to be from the highest Hindu priest caste.

TV finishing around 11pm - midnight and then being left with a wee white dot on the screen, there was no breakfast TV either.

Pubs being shut on a Sunday and having to go to a Hotel Bar for a drink, if they had a satellite dish you could watch the live English game via Borders TV.

Standing outside Radio Rentals on a Saturday afternoon to get the football results. 

27 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

TV finishing around 11pm - midnight and then being left with a wee white dot on the screen, there was no breakfast TV either.

Pubs being shut on a Sunday and having to go to a Hotel Bar for a drink, if they had a satellite dish you could watch the live English game via Borders TV.

Standing outside Radio Rentals on a Saturday afternoon to get the football results. 

The little white dot was a sign. It means something really heavy. It means it's time to go to bed. 

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

In Malpensa airport recently where the departure lounge has one of those wee glass cuboid things with, presumably, extractor fans where about 20 people were crammed in having a smoke. It's not in a corner but right in the middle of the floor. A very sad scene.

Otherwise known as the Leper colony.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

As an aside, it's not a great look where only 1 passenger made it out yet 10 crew did.  

Probably huddled in the bogs having a fag tbf

2 hours ago, Sweaty Morph said:

I was actually thinking about this a few weeks back, when I described doing something quite complex to a colleague as 'like being on the Krypton Factor', and was met with a blank expression. Didn't think it was that old a show, but there you go!

Also, would describing haphazard driving on a busy road as 'Wacky Races' be lost after a certain generation?

See also "its a bit Heath Robinson".