Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

59 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Get Ceefax on for the scores.

images.png.bdcfb3670ced62ca3f1cd9807003acf5.png

for fans of the minnows (i.e. East of Scotland League clubs) you had to wait until after 9pm some nights to get the scores on page 399. They may have been mixed in with egg chasing scores. 

See also nipping down the paper shop on a Saturday evening to get the Pink News or in my Aberdeen stay the Green Final. 

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Similarly bcc stands for Blind Carbon Copy.  This means another recipient that the other recipients don't get told about.

Not sure how that worked in the old fashioned sense.

Easy…like now, the “cc”d recipients are listed in the header…the “bcc”d ones aren’t. So, when you wrote/typed the letter (or whatever) with a stack of papers, interleaved with carbon papers, you didn’t put the “secret” recipients in the header. On the minus side, by the third of fourth carbon copy, it’s usually damn near unreadable.

10 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Going to school / the pub / both and  being able to talk about last night’s telly safe in the knowledge that you’d all watched the same thing. 

Really!  Were you an only child?  Missed lots of stuff because somebody wanted to watch one of the other channel and it was my turn last night.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Really!  Were you an only child?  Missed lots of stuff because somebody wanted to watch one of the other channel and it was my turn last night.

OK, “safe” is probably overstating it. 50/50 shot then. BBC2 was rarely on in our house. Now I think about it, if you’d watched the wrong channel, you had no one to talk to all day.