Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I heard something on radio 4, that I thought surely couldn't be true.

Apparently Humza quipped to a group of Ukrainian women "Where are all the men?". One of the woman then politely explained that they were fighting in the war. Iannucci would be proud of that one!

Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

You've eaten the BBC bait right up.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I heard something on radio 4, that I thought surely couldn't be true.

Apparently Humza quipped to a group of Ukrainian women "Where are all the men?". One of the woman then politely explained that they were fighting in the war. Iannucci would be proud of that one!

Oh Brother Facepalm GIF by reactionseditor

Just now, Savage Henry said:

I honestly thought he was on the competent side of atrocious, and therefore by miles the frontrunner.  I now have my doubts.   What an absolute mess. 

I'm so lost about what the problem is, are we supposed to be pretending there aren't loads of Ukrainian men in Scotland? 

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

The amount of brain mush involved in this election is absolutely unreal.  Are these genuinely the top three in the SNP?

It’s like Press TV/RT/GB News decided to select the biggest loonballs they could find and parachute them into the Scottish government.  

I think what we are seeing is two things. One is the Ferguson syndrome, where nobody really wanted to be the person to follow Alex Ferguson at Man Utd as everyone knew the next would be set for failure. Any one of the 3 of them could/likely will spectacularly fail at next set of elections and be out. Leaving the path for someone more sensible to come in and pick up the pieces.

The other, it allows for a clear out of some of the more 'fringe' folk, like Regan (assuming she doesn't win) and regardless of the other two, probably drags the party more to the centre ground.

I'd assume, that if you are a party member, your view on independence doesn't change, so the decision is what candidate both gives you the best chance at achieving the ultimate goal while being most aligned with your personal views.

I'm not surprised that Forbes has a lot of support, as for as much as the SNP are seen as progressive, Scotland as a whole and the SNP by extension are more small c conservative than they or the media would have you believe.

Equally, Humza Yousaf for being progressive, knows that and probably needs to 'new Labour' the SNP to move to the centre.

Either way, it's a drag to the centre by whoever gets in, but they won't be around for long.

If I'm Robertson, Swinney or such like, I'd be delighted with letting a civil war play out and clear things up, before being the saviour, so long as they don't fatally rip themselves apart.

I would just add, compared to the Tory or Labour leadership battles of the past, all 3 at least have a fundamental goal that unites them, despite the differences. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

26 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm so lost about what the problem is, are we supposed to be pretending there aren't loads of Ukrainian men in Scotland? 

It's by no means the worse comment by a candidate in this election and it's all a bit accidental Partridge but you're addressing a room full of Ukrainian women who have fled a war. There's going to be a high likelihood that some of these women's husbands, sons, brothers are fighting (maybe even dying in) this war.

49 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

No male over 18 or under 60 has an automatic right to leave Ukraine, because of the war, but there are a long list of exceptions.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Nobody over 18 or under 60 has an automatic right to leave Ukraine because of the war, but there are a long list of exceptions.

Yeah I'm very aware.  My girlfriend works with them.  

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Yeah I'm very aware.  My girlfriend works with them.  

Aye, sorry, hadn't watched the tiny clip. I'd imagine Humza was trying to raise the issue of why there weren't any men there rather than not knowing.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, sorry, hadn't watched the tiny clip. I'd imagine Humza was trying to raise the issue of why there weren't any men there rather than not knowing.

Yeah, it's really helpful that it's been clipped to only 6 seconds so no context is possible.  

I've read what Humza said about it and whatever.  I'd rather have the rest of the clip, unless I'm to believe someone started recording exactly when he was going to speak and immediately stopped....

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think what we are seeing is two things. One is the Ferguson syndrome, where nobody really wanted to be the person to follow Alex Ferguson at Man Utd as everyone knew the next would be set for failure. Any one of the 3 of them could/likely will spectacularly fail at next set of elections and be out. Leaving the path for someone more sensible to come in and pick up the pieces.

The other, it allows for a clear out of some of the more 'fringe' folk, like Regan (assuming she doesn't win) and regardless of the other two, probably drags the party more to the centre ground.

I'd assume, that if you are a party member, your view on independence doesn't change, so the decision is what candidate both gives you the best chance at achieving the ultimate goal while being most aligned with your personal views.

I'm not surprised that Forbes has a lot of support, as for as much as the SNP are seen as progressive, Scotland as a whole and the SNP by extension are more small c conservative than they or the media would have you believe.

Equally, Humza Yousaf for being progressive, knows that and probably needs to 'new Labour' the SNP to move to the centre.

Either way, it's a drag to the centre by whoever gets in, but they won't be around for long.

If I'm Robertson, Swinney or such like, I'd be delighted with letting a civil war play out and clear things up, before being the saviour, so long as they don't fatally rip themselves apart.

I would just add, compared to the Tory or Labour leadership battles of the past, all 3 at least have a fundamental goal that unites them, despite the differences. 

The issue with the Ferguson syndrome is that it wasnt just the next manager, it was several next managers after him. It doesnt necessarily get easier to pick up the pieces after its started to go downhill. Its probably easier now than after whoever wins this.

I think your right that Scotland is more small c conservative than most realise

Edited by ScotiaNostra

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'm not so sure that the Ferguson comparison is a good one.

Ferguson went out on a high and the same cannot possibly be said about Nicola. Arsene Wenger's trajectory might be a better fit.

10 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'm not so sure that the Ferguson comparison is a good one.

Ferguson went out on a high and the same cannot possibly be said about Nicola. Arsene Wenger's trajectory might be a better fit.

While there are different benchmarks of success, I’d suggest Salmond was indeed the SNP’s Ferguson.

Took the Independence movement from ~25% support to garner enough validity to secure a UK endorsed referendum and then 45% of the voters.

Since then - and his understandable resignation when it failed - with an initial emotive protest blip, it’s been a fairly downhill slide since that NS has done a very competent PR job to try and keep on side.

I have a notion however that the slide has just had some warm butter placed under it and it’s now picking up a wee bit more pace….