Current SPFL Premiership Grounds as Away Days - Ranked

I have been to them all and Easter Road is probably my favourite. It is an easy walk from Waverley, plenty of good pubs and restaurants in the vicinity, a nice stadium, and the home fans are usually a sound enough bunch. 

Parkhead and Ibrox are both unpleasant for some different reasons. Parkhead obviously has the added disadvantage of that massive pillar, but the threat of violence feels significantly lesser in my experience. Being amongst the celebrations in a comparatively tiny away section if you actually manage to score a meaningful goal against a team with a massive home crowd is one of football's purest joys, though. 

1. Dundee Utd - As has been mentioned elsewhere, getting the shed back will be conditional on this retaining top spot. I've been in the fair play but am popping my Jerry Kerr cherry on Saturday, from what I've heard, it's shite though. 

2 - Hearts - Probably only because I've been more than Easter Rd. Do love an Edinburgh day out

3 - Hibs - See above

4 - Motherwell - Few good pubs around and the added option of booze in Glasgow if travelling by public transport

5 - Ross County - Have been a few times, have never been anything other than monumentally spangled.

6 - Kilmarnock - Loved the brass and granite, is it still a thing

7 - St Johnstone - I like a day out in Perth, go quite often for the racing, but having to trek out to the stadium is a chore

8 - St Mirren - Only been once and boozed before and after in Glasgow so difficult to comment

9 - Livingston - Doesn't have many redeeming features. A c**t to get to from Aberdeen and I don't think I ever genuinely enjoyed a game there. 

10 - Ibrox - Expensive, usually get pumped, bigotry everywhere and just not a pleasant experience. Still, when you win it's fucking glorious

11 - Celtic - See above with added expense and not being able to see 

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Top flight - Hearts & Hibs. However…

Best away day in Scotland is Ayr United at Somerset Park in the Scottish Cup. Old school falling to pieces stadium, which is brilliant. Opposing fans in wee sheds behind both goals. Brilliant. The heady mix of pish stinking from the urinals with the waft of pie & bovril. Brilliant.

Can’t be beaten. IMHO.

As a one off, with a large away support, yes.

If youre visiting multiple times a season and the away support isnt large, then it would be a shitehole.

8 hours ago, Molotov said:

I think what is being rated is the “away day experience”. 

Some of the best away days involve some of the worst grounds in Scotland!

Take a bow Cappielow.

Depends where youre put. The main stand is absolutely brutal. Shit covered seats with no leg room and pillars blocking your view.

13 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Difficulty with the parking is that everywhere you mention (other than that requiring local knowledge) requires a good 20 minute plus wait to get out after, due to the locality, Hibs tend to bring a few thousand there each game, or have done when I’ve went, and on each of these times I’ve found myself sitting in a car park for 20 minutes plus each time.

Anyhow this wasn’t a Livingston and St Johnstone bashing thread I promise.

Different sizes of support will be a factor, but I always park behind the Clydesdale Bank and never have any trouble. Can’t go wrong with the 50p an hour multi-storey either. I’d say it’s one of the better grounds for parking. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Depends where youre put. The main stand is absolutely brutal. Shit covered seats with no leg room and pillars blocking your view.

St. Mirren fans have never had that dubious pleasure.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

St. Mirren fans have never had that dubious pleasure.

Is that true? I’m sure in the past we have been allocated part of the main stand as an option for those that prefer not to stand behind the goal on the benches. 

Cappielow went downhill as an excellent away day when away fans were forced out of the cowshed. 

6 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Is that true? I’m sure in the past we have been allocated part of the main stand as an option for those that prefer not to stand behind the goal on the benches. 

Cappielow went downhill as an excellent away day when away fans were forced out of the cowshed. 

We always get part of the main stand, even back in the cowshed days, however I'd say 95% of Saints fans have never sat in the Main Stand at Cappielow as the WDE and/or Cowshed have always been an option.

Had some fucking miserable (weather wise) days in the WDE though. cracking fun between choosing to stand on a bogging mud-caked terracing that wreck your trainers or on a slippery bench that will break your neck with one misstep.

11 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is there not an argument here that what is being rated here is the town/city (and the prevalence of decent pubs) rather than the actual ground? 

I think the whole package is being rated. Flights, accomodation, food and so on. We win hands-down on flights. Renfrewshire International Aerodrome is a fifteen minute walk from FeegieField.

9 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I've been in the fair play but am popping my Jerry Kerr cherry on Saturday, from what I've heard, it's shite though. 

Are you under 5’7?

If so, you’ll be fine. If not, enjoy the knee and shin pain for the next week or so

Not managed many away trips sadly but I guess I can rank the ones I’ve done.

1. Fir Park - Been in both the away end and the home end (the ill fated Sligo fiasco as my mate needed someone to go with) and the main thing for me was the walk from Airbles was simple enough.   Burger van was not bad and a decent enough view, felt like I was in a massive telly in the sky. 

2. Tannadice - Nothing memorable or offensive about this one, the most memorable part was leaving Dundee (settle down) after the game only to find they erected mass road works post game.

3. Rugby Park - It was a close one between my other current SPL ground, but the atmosphere in the other one ranks it lowest. Decent parking near the stadium in residential areas but felt like I’d need to chop legs off to get comfortable.

4. Ibrox - This one was actually the home end… When Motherwell wrecked them in the play-offs… But it gave me a taste of what it would be like to in the away end, so I’ll never be doing that. Fun day out for me but not for the person who I was with.

Honorable mentions to the non SPL grounds - Excelsior, Cappielowe, Fir Hill, Cliftonhill and New Douglas Park.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

As a one off, with a large away support, yes.

If youre visiting multiple times a season and the away support isnt large, then it would be a shitehole.

And if you dare put your legs over the back of an empty seat in front of you to give them a stretch, the stewards pounce telling you to get your legs back behind the seat, then glare at you for the rest of the game.

Got to love the toilet when you used to walk round from the other entrance though, where you pish against a painted wall and it runs into channels along the floor, that you step over as you walk back out.

For knee room St Johnstone is the winner, sheer luxury, in last place is Kilmarnock, you almost hope for a dull 0-0 so that you don’t need to move and skin your knees.

The rest are somewhere in between.

Both OF grounds are absolute shite for away fans.  Glasgow has some brilliant pubs but not anywhere near the grounds, they are both shit to get to by public transport and the views are the  worst in the country alongside Pittodrie.  Add in the pricing and inevitable hounding and its a miracle any away fan goes to either.

Best are County, Hibs and United.  The trip to Aberdeen saves it a bit if you're drinking.

St Mirren is ok, as is Motherwell.

St Johnstone, Killie and Livvy are awful places to go

All depends on whether going for a day out or just for the game.

Hearts and Hibs and the Dundee grounds are great for a day out. As is Dingwall.

In truth, and McDiarmid is included here, the selection of away venues in the Premiership currently is pretty pish.

In no particular order, for fan experience, the Premiership clubs should be:

Raith Rovers

Dunfermline 

Dundee United

Arbroath

Hearts

Ross County

Dundee

Hibs

QOS

Partick Thistle (only on condition away fans are not in the Main Stand)

Elgin City

St Johnstone 

If this thread proves anything a mere two pages in it's that St Johnstone desperately need to do something to improve the fan experience - something I've been harping on about for years. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the majority of folk think an away day to McDiarmid is shite.

Edited by jamamafegan

10 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Different sizes of support will be a factor, but I always park behind the Clydesdale Bank and never have any trouble. Can’t go wrong with the 50p an hour multi-storey either. I’d say it’s one of the better grounds for parking. 

Thought it was quite a strange comment. Livingston probably has more parking spaces within a 15 minute walk of the ground than any other stadium in the country.