New Strips 23/24

29 minutes ago, Caro-Kann said:

Spent a week in Arbroath last month and there are what appears to be Russian Federation flags hanging from one of the flats on Brechin Rd, in fact it's been captured in a google street view image! https://goo.gl/maps/EYjTruzj61MPiABj6

Coat of arms as well, ooft.

May as well get the Italian Flags oot, changing sides like that.

On 24/04/2023 at 14:41, Stag Nation said:

It doesn't matter where the clan has their roots, the whole idea of individual clan tartans was a 19th century invention. Enthusiastically promoted by people who sold tartan.

Apologies mate but that's not entirely true, we are aware that the George the Fourth arrived in Edinburgh dressed in a ridiculous tartan outfit lauded by Sir Walter Scott and as you say the modern tartan was from that era, but centuries before clans could be identified by cloth bearing one or two colours, sometimes more, and in the mid 1400's King James had 'tartan' woven, so clan identity by means of cloth coloured was centuries before the 19th century. 

I think it’s a sad indictment on Scottish football (on all sides) that a club can’t release an orange shirt on the 12th July without being accused of being rangers-leaning or sectarian or whatever. For everyone who claims that bigotry etc is an old firm problem there is a high number of non-old firm fans who are desperate to connect everything back to the OF or to the sectarian conversation.

22 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I think it’s a sad indictment on Scottish football (on all sides) that a club can’t release an orange shirt on the 12th July without being accused of being rangers-leaning or sectarian or whatever. For everyone who claims that bigotry etc is an old firm problem there is a high number of non-old firm fans who are desperate to connect everything back to the OF or to the sectarian conversation.

f**k up

5 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

ICT will have, at worst, done it to get people talking about it and try and profit from such. At best it's just a coincidence, solid chance for both. Hardly as if they're Rangers B as some make out, but still seems a bit dodgy.

Either way, f**k the old firm, even though they did nothing wrong this time.

9 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Is Scott Gardiner still slithering in the commercial background up there?

5 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

ICT will have, at worst, done it to get people talking about it and try and profit from such. At best it's just a coincidence, solid chance for both. Hardly as if they're Rangers B as some make out, but still seems a bit dodgy.

Your first suggestion here, suggests that Inverness are trying to tap into sectarianism to sell some t-shirts, which doesn’t feel like a particularly normal or well thought out idea tbqh. 

Maybe your second suggestion is right though, and the Rangers daft CEO had no idea of the colour connotations and release date…

Edited by McGuigan1978

5 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

If ever a post could have done without the last 8 words then this one is it.

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Your first suggestion here, suggests that Inverness are trying to tap into sectarianism to sell some t-shirts, which doesn’t feel like a particularly normal or well thought out idea tbqh. 

Maybe your second suggestion is right though, and the Rangers daft CEO had no idea of the colour connotations and release date…

Sevco do it all the time.

4 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I think in my first suggestion there's two elements:

1. The more rangers-leaning supporters of ICT (so, all 7 of them) may be inclined to buy it for those reasons, if feeling particularly celebratory about the 12th.

2. The more cynical viewpoint: ICT are just trying to get attention because of the fact they released an orange top in the 12th of July. We are having the conversation right now, after all.

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

If ever a post could have done without the last 8 words then this one is it.

Fair point.

15 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Maybe release it on any other day than the 12th of July then?

Based on the photos it looks utterly honking. I will (try and) give the club the benefit of the doubt and suggest it was an unfortunate coincidence to release an orange strip on 12 July but if it was in any way deliberate then the cretins involved can get the f'ck away from my club and, ideally, be fired into the sun.

Edited by RiG

25 minutes ago, RiG said:

Based on the photos it looks utterly honking. I will (try and) give the club the benefit of the doubt and suggest it was an unfortunate coincidence to release an orange strip on 12 July but if it was in any way deliberate then the cretins involved can get the f'ck away from my club and, ideally, be fired into the sun.

My take would be that even though this stuff obviously isn’t as prevalent in the Highlands as it is in the West of Scotland (though clearly it does still exist), there’s absolutely no way that anyone who is intimately involved in Scottish football wouldn’t know the significance of the colour orange or the 12th of July in sectarian context.

Were it not for the fact that Scott Gardiner is the CEO, I’d be inclined to agree that it was simply extreme carelessness, but given that he is… 

19 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Dodds and Gardiner are both ex Rangers employees and the away orange strip introduced yesterday is a blatant acknowledgement of that.

ICT are based in an area with a distinct Highland identity which has no association with football sectarian bigotry and nor do the people of the Highlands welcome any intrusion of it.

Our away strip last season was red and black which was more in keeping with our roots as that was the Inverness Thistle colours.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

My take would be that even though this stuff obviously isn’t as prevalent in the Highlands as it is in the West of Scotland (though clearly it does still exist), there’s absolutely no way that anyone who is intimately involved in Scottish football wouldn’t know the significance of the colour orange or the 12th of July in sectarian context.

Were it not for the fact that Scott Gardiner is the CEO, I’d be inclined to agree that it was simply extreme carelessness, but given that he is… 

We were well warned about him by Dundee and Hearts fans and all that was said by them has proven correct.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Well said and thats exactly the way I feel.

And there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the introduction date was deliberate.

For sure Gardiner will be groveling to the board today that it was all a coincidence.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Well said and thats exactly the way I feel.

And there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the introduction date was deliberate.

For sure Gardiner will be groveling to the board today that it was all a coincidence.

The board will have known for months an orange strip had been designed and ordered and the release date will have been discussed. He didn't just pull this out his arse at the last minute. They are clearly complicit. A blind man escaping a burning car could tell you what to expect employing Gardiner.