Jambos v Buddies 8th April

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

is there any scenario that sees 5th place get into Europe I.e. if the Scottish Cup winners have already qualified through league position does 5th place take the Cup winners slot?

The Cup winners actually get the Europa league slot bit if the Cup winners are either Old Firm side, that Europa League slot moves to 3rd and then 4th and 5th get the conference league places.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

At the macro level you are absolutely spot on but at the micro level -  WTF is it with adults (anyone over 17) wearing a replica football top?  Unless you are a football player there is no reason to be wearing a football top, especially the XXL versions. 

A concept I broadly agreed with until we brought out that away top this season. 

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s quite worrying how much Hearts have imploded over these last few weeks or so, I genuinely thought they had 3rd place sewn up but now it looks like they have a battle on their hands to even get a European place.

Most times I cannot predict the time of day correctly, but on this issue, it’s the one thing I called correctly this season. At the time of our back-to-back games with Hearts, we outplayed them for large spells, didn’t turn our pressure into goals, had a good penalty shout denied, etc… I genuinely believed that outwith the uglies, who are out of sight, there really isn’t much between any of us this season on any given day. I posted as such and a few uppity Jambos took delight in saying they would be comfortably third, were clearly the best of the rest, etc. I had admitted that they were on a decent run at that time, but they had stuttered too, did not look convincing. I firmly believed Hearts were no better than St Mirren, and only some pathetic stuff from Aberdeen and Hibs at the time was making them look good in third. I was right. For once, and maybe the only time this season too. 😀

8 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

At the macro level you are absolutely spot on but at the micro level -  WTF is it with adults (anyone over 17) wearing a replica football top?  Unless you are a football player there is no reason to be wearing a football top, especially the XXL versions. 

I feel obliged to buy one to support the team and put money in the coffers. They are generally very light and great for wearing in hot weather. It also sparks conversation and raises awareness of our team.  But I  never wear it to matches. 

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Most times I cannot predict the time of day correctly, but on this issue, it’s the one thing I called correctly this season. At the time of our back-to-back games with Hearts, we outplayed them for large spells, didn’t turn our pressure into goals, had a good penalty shout denied, etc… I genuinely believed that outwith the uglies, who are out of sight, there really isn’t much between any of us this season on any given day. I posted as such and a few uppity Jambos took delight in saying they would be comfortably third, were clearly the best of the rest, etc. I had admitted that they were on a decent run at that time, but they had stuttered too, did not look convincing. I firmly believed Hearts were no better than St Mirren, and only some pathetic stuff from Aberdeen and Hibs at the time was making them look good in third. I was right. For once, and maybe the only time this season too. 😀

I'd say they have more depth in their squad. As do Aberdeen and Hibs. That's why a run of injuries affected our form and could do again.  But Hearts First eleven (or is it just Robbie's Selection) looks unbalanced. As  does the hibs first eleven. Aberdeen clearly have the best first eleven and probably will get third. 

9 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I’ve never understood why Hearts fans vent so much hatred towards Frank McGarvey for apparently not trying against Celtic in 1986

especially as Craig Levein lay in his bed that day and Kenny Black sat on the bench

If I were a Jambo I know where I’d be asking about commitment

Might also have helped their cause and goal difference, had they not been pumped 6-2 by us at Love Street, having gone 1-0 up on us too.

’Bring on the dancing girls!’

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Our performances against them where really no less pathetic than St Mirrens. I've been saying for months that their luck was due to run out at some point. That point seems to have came.

12 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

I'd say they have more depth in their squad. As do Aberdeen and Hibs. That's why a run of injuries affected our form and could do again.  But Hearts First eleven (or is it just Robbie's Selection) looks unbalanced. As  does the hibs first eleven. Aberdeen clearly have the best first eleven and probably will get third. 

Celtic and The Rangers 2012 will always have the most strength in depth, followed by Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts looking the next best - on paper. If that doesn’t look the case at the start of every top flight season, then fans of Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts should be asking questions of their BoDs and ‘directors of football’. That’s all on paper though. Not one of those three clubs have turned their bigger squads, bigger budgets, bigger stadiums, and bigger crowds into anything consistent over the entire season that sees them look easily ‘the best of the rest’. I’d go so far as to say that at various times, all three of the next biggest clubs in Scotland have been shite, overseen by shite managerial appointments.

Edited by pozbaird

13 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Give Joe a contract. Besides not breaking sweat he is the only defender who poses a threat. And he is twice the player Dunne is.

I must have imagined Gallagher's two goals.

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Well worry was probably the wrong word for us, I agree it’s an excellent set of circumstances for St Mirren, but Hearts fans must be wondering how the f**k they have thrown away 3rd position, especially to a team like Aberdeen who have been a complete shambles at times this season, albeit they seem to have got their act together under Robson.

Aberdeen binning Goodwin was the smart move, and they made it. Fair play to them.

Hearts' smart move has been obvious for some time and we've not made it.

St Mirren obviously right in the mix now. Some finish coming up.

8 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

WTF is it with adults who gatekeep what other adults wear

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I must have imagined Gallagher's two goals.

Joe has hardly played this season yet has 3 assists. His long throws are the best in the team and he gets to more corners than any other defenders. Dunne has 0 goals and 0 assists in 32 games. Marcus has 0 goals and 0 assists. Gallagher 0 assists and 2 goals. Joe was leading goalscorer for a good chunk of last season. Easily the most potent of our defenders. But you already knew that. Fair play to Gallagher's 2 goals.

4 minutes ago, Steven Glansberg said:

WTF is it with adults who gatekeep what other adults wear

Is that a question? I don't think anybody is suggesting that adults should literally be banned from wearing football tops, but I do agree that there is something quite ridiculous about it. Same with adults who wear t-shirts adorned with cartoon characters, or 'I'm with stupid' type t-shirts. It's all a matter of taste, of course. I think it's akin to hanging furry dice from you rear view mirror.  

But by all means, go ahead.

15 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aberdeen binning Goodwin was the smart move, and they made it. Fair play to them.

Hearts' smart move has been obvious for some time and we've not made it.

St Mirren obviously right in the mix now. Some finish coming up.

Wouldn’t have been a great look for hearts to sack neilson until very recently tbh. In some ways we were fortunate that Goodwin made the decision very easy in the end. There isn’t a prospective manager out there who would have thought cormack was out of order taking that decision, they were probably amazed jim lasted more than 24 hours after darvel. 

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Wouldn’t have been a great look for hearts to sack neilson until very recently tbh. In some ways we were fortunate that Goodwin made the decision very easy in the end. There isn’t a prospective manager out there who would have thought cormack was out of order taking that decision, they were probably amazed jim lasted more than 24 hours after darvel. 

I don't think prospective managers ever care about what happened to the guy before them.

Last summer it would have been a perfectly reasonable approach for Hearts to thank Neilson for his work and move him on. The signs have been there the whole time, but whenever Hearts fans raised/raise this, it's all the mince about being entitled or 'careful what you wish for!!!!' etc.

Anyone who has watched Hearts regularly under Neilson and isn't his mate has been able to tell you what's wrong for a couple of years.

People kept saying 'HE GOT YOU TO A CUP FINAL!' as if they hadn't noticed he nearly lost the semi-final to ten-man Hibs by being a massive shitebag. A semi we won through two big moments from individual players rather than anything to do with tactics or shape or gameplan. Like I said last night, you can be blinded by bare results, or you can actually look at what's happening. Aberdeen under Goodwin in the autumn was a similar example. People kept saying 'THEY'RE THIRD', but it was obvious he was out his depth. Aberdeen acted once results turned, they were lucky it went wrong so early in a sense, and they're getting the benefit.

After the Aberdeen game was the time to act. Aberdeen played well that day, but it was also the day it became clear the Hearts players had chucked it under Neilson. He's alienated them the same way he has the fans, and it'll be interesting to one day find out how he did that.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't think prospective managers ever care about what happened to the guy before them.

Last summer it would have been a perfectly reasonable approach for Hearts to thank Neilson for his work and move him on. The signs have been there the whole time, but whenever Hearts fans raised/raise this, it's all the mince about being entitled or 'careful what you wish for!!!!' etc.

Anyone who has watched Hearts regularly under Neilson and isn't his mate has been able to tell you what's wrong for a couple of years.

After the Aberdeen game was the time to act. Aberdeen played well that day, but it was also the day it became clear the Hearts players had chucked it under Neilson. He's alienated them the same way he has the fans, and it'll be interesting to one day find out how he did that.

I disagree. Any sensible manager with options would be doing due diligence on a club and working out what to expect from the hierarchy. I mean, sure, out of work jobbers with no options probably don’t care. 

I’m sure you’re right about the signs being there, I’ve not watched enough hearts to know otherwise. But perception, unfortunately, can be as powerful as reality. 

I would have sacked Goodwin after the home game with Celtic but can also appreciate that at that point we were third and in a cup semi, and losing 1-0 to a late goal to this Celtic team would look totally unreasonable.