Dunfermline v Queens

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Only four games left now and I think it's all or nothing now (OK, not quite arithmetically so) for Queens and we need to go for the win here - the risk of course is that it leaves us too open and we get badly pumped in the process.  Better to miss out having had a real go though than to have been overly cautious.  A Queens win on Saturday and Alloa will start to get concerned.

I don't think it's quite at the stage of must win. I'd probably take a draw if offered one now.

We need to win at least three of our last four and one of those will have to be Dunfermline or Airdrie away.

We could win all four and still not make it, Alloa are still in the driving seat for the playoffs and as said it's hard to tell the motivation for teams with nothing to play for over the last four games.

If we can end the weekend less than 6 points behind Alloa I'd be reasonably happy with that.

1 hour ago, DoonhamerDon said:

I don't think it's quite at the stage of must win. I'd probably take a draw if offered one now.

We need to win at least three of our last four and one of those will have to be Dunfermline or Airdrie away.

We could win all four and still not make it, Alloa are still in the driving seat for the playoffs and as said it's hard to tell the motivation for teams with nothing to play for over the last four games.

If we can end the weekend less than 6 points behind Alloa I'd be reasonably happy with that.

I think to have any chance of the playoffs we need to be 3 points behind Alloa at worst with two games to go. Even that's maybe not enough with them having a GD advantage and finishing away to Montrose and home to Dunfermline. If we're 4 or 5 behind them after Saturday we're counting on getting more against Montrose at Palmerston than they get at home to a Falkirk side who will likely be resting players for the Cup semi final (or playing players trying desperately not to get hurt).

In isolation a draw at EEP would be a very acceptable result. They've lost once all season and are trying to clinch the title. In normal circumstances I'd bite your hand off for a point. Although I think we edged the game in December I happily took the point and moved on. However, I do expect that a point will leave us walking off to find Alloa 4 or 5 ahead with 3 games left against teams playing for not a thing. I think we probably need to win. Basically given their fixture list I think Alloa will get at least 7 points and if they get 7, a point's not enough for us (barring taking 6 or 7 off Montrose and Kelty at Palmerston anyway and we've not really looked like hammering anyone not called Edinburgh all season).

4 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

even the Kelty game the other week seemed bigger

Looked very sparse on the stream.

We'll definitely see a bigger crowd on Saturday. I reckon around 5000 (legitimately, not the 'announced' crowd).

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Looked very sparse on the stream.

We'll definitely see a bigger crowd on Saturday. I reckon around 5000 (legitimately, not the 'announced' crowd).

I'd have thought a Pars side that could potentially finish the match with a league title prize and auto-promotion in their hands could reasonably be expected to breach the 5,000 figure.  Plus I think the weather forecast isn't too bad for Saturday which might help too.  So should be a good atmosphere.

Ordinarily, with a bit of positivity surrounding the club for a change and something tangible still to play for, I'd have hoped Queens might have taken a good few hundred through on Saturday.  However, whilst we've seen a wee bit of optimism creep in under Marvin's short tenure to date, I think it will need the summer re-build and hopefully a positive start to next season before Queens might see the beginning of a slow return of the "missing fans" who have chucked it due to the desperate fare served up in recent seasons.  I'd imagine we'll only bring 2-300 for this.

Apologies in advance for the crowd w*nk - guilty as charged!

Edited by Otis Blue

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think to have any chance of the playoffs we need to be 3 points behind Alloa at worst with two games to go. Even that's maybe not enough with them having a GD advantage and finishing away to Montrose and home to Dunfermline. If we're 4 or 5 behind them after Saturday we're counting on getting more against Montrose at Palmerston than they get at home to a Falkirk side who will likely be resting players for the Cup semi final

Pretty much what I'm counting on. If Alloa get points from Dunfermline/Falkirk then they will make playoffs and fair enough.

Alloa are benefiting by having a much stronger start to the season being the team ahead with points on the board while we have been playing catch-up (pretty successfully over the last few months tbf)

But it means we potentially lose out when rivals play the "stronger" teams at a time in the season when as you say they aren't fighting for everything the way they were back in Autumn. 

Ultimately I think we started our great run of form just a week or two too late.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think to have any chance of the playoffs we need to be 3 points behind Alloa at worst with two games to go. Even that's maybe not enough with them having a GD advantage and finishing away to Montrose and home to Dunfermline. If we're 4 or 5 behind them after Saturday we're counting on getting more against Montrose at Palmerston than they get at home to a Falkirk side who will likely be resting players for the Cup semi final (or playing players trying desperately not to get hurt).

In isolation a draw at EEP would be a very acceptable result. They've lost once all season and are trying to clinch the title. In normal circumstances I'd bite your hand off for a point. Although I think we edged the game in December I happily took the point and moved on. However, I do expect that a point will leave us walking off to find Alloa 4 or 5 ahead with 3 games left against teams playing for not a thing. I think we probably need to win. Basically given their fixture list I think Alloa will get at least 7 points and if they get 7, a point's not enough for us (barring taking 6 or 7 off Montrose and Kelty at Palmerston anyway and we've not really looked like hammering anyone not called Edinburgh all season).

Agree with that - think we need to win on Saturday and if I was offered a draw now the answer would be No. While a draw in normal circumstances would be a good result it does very little for us especially if Alloa win on Sat which is a distinct possibility.

If Alloa win 2 of their remaining matches they go on to 57 and even if we win 3 out of 4 we only match Alloa’s points haul and are very unlikely to turn the GD round. It is still difficult to win multiple games in this league and if Alloa start to draw matches the landscape changes significantly.

A win for Queens on Saturday would be huge at this late stage. It would really send a message to Alloa that they had little room for error in the final 3 games. Still a long shot but things would get very interesting. Need to win it first though...

10 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

A win for Queens on Saturday would be huge at this late stage. It would really send a message to Alloa that they had little room for error in the final 3 games. Still a long shot but things would get very interesting. Need to win it first though...

Agree with this, but given that the Pars have only lost one of 32 league games I feel it's going to take some effort to grind out a win.  For me it's crucial that we don't lose as we need to try to avoid bringing goal difference into the equation in the battle to finish ahead of Alloa, but a win would be a massive bonus.

Queens being Queens of course, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we somehow managed to win this game and beat Airdrie but still manage to f*ck up against Montrose and/or Kelty (especially Kelty) on our own bowling green like carpet.

10 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I see they have opened up the NWL section in the NW stand as well now. 

Only one other ticket left in the NW. 

If the visiting fans are housed in the North(?) Stand and considering we'll probably only bring around the usual number (2 - 300 at a guess) could part of that Stand be made available to home fans if demand merits it? 

Queens fans will be in the Main (south) stand which is already shared with home support. Can't see us opening the east behind the goals given the away numbers and I doubt they'll open the other side of the north for home. We won't have that many extra fans I don't think. 

At best we will fill the NW and Norrie stands and have a fairly full Main. 

31 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If the visiting fans are housed in the North(?) Stand and considering we'll probably only bring around the usual number (2 - 300 at a guess) could part of that Stand be made available to home fans if demand merits it? 

I think the Queens fans are being allocated the very east end of the south (main) stand for this, and not the usual east stand which is often allocated to away supports.

57 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

http://www.qosfc.com/news-6054

34 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Be interesting to see who starts up front. I'd be inclined to go with Wighton and Todorov, Mccann to come on early 2nd half if it's not working.

We should probably start the game with plan B, try and get to HT at 0-0, and then change to plan A in the 2nd half.

54 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I think the Queens fans are being allocated the very east end of the south (main) stand for this, and not the usual east stand which is often allocated to away supports.

At least its handy for the pie shop. 

42 minutes ago, par-adise said:

I thought that was Plan A...

Fair point.  I can't see it changing much now either. 

Despite it being a potential title clincher, I'd be pretty stunned if we came out of the traps at 100mph and put the game to bed inside the first half hour - whether we were playing an in-form QoS or a Peterhead reserve side.