Dunfermline v Queens

52 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

Losing to Queens would dampen anyones party. 

We've done that often enough.

While we're all here, what's the worry with Bartley? Why do so many people have high hopes for him? Seems rather random.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

While we're all here, what's the worry with Bartley? Why do so many people have high hopes for him? Seems rather random.

It's early days to judge Bartley tbf and he can only really be assessed when he has built his own squad over the coming summer.  That said, he clearly has some fairly outstanding attributes as a manager, such as: ... well ... he's not Yogi (just gie me some guid oanest laddies) Hughes for a start ... and secondly he's not Gus McPherson ... and well ... you can probably fill in the rest of that usual list yourself.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Probably because he's getting results with a group of players that very few thought would win another game under WG and were destined for the bottom 3.  He has brought in some decent players to strengthen what were weak spots. Still early days of course, I'm not as confident as some that we'll reach the promotion play-offs, avoiding a defeat on Saturday might sway me though. Bartley seems to have improved things at training as well, working harder to finish games stronger, he also takes a keen interest in reserve and youth level games I believe. He was a well thought of coach at Livingston, management of a club like Queens would seem a good progression Whether he goes on to greater things elsewhere in future remains to be seen. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

I think the fact we've been pretty hopeless for a long time plays into this.  Bartley is articulate and seems thoughtful which perhaps marks a bit of a departure.

We're also now on a decent run, which had not looked likely at all.

I'd say some of it's maybe a bit premature rather than random, but we'll see.  There do appear to be some grounds for optimism regarding him.  

Instinctively though, optimism can always feel like something of a mistake for some of us.

Not really sure I understand the question? "Worry"? Surely people having high hopes for a new manager is pretty standard? He does have a much bigger profile than most appointments at this level though due to being articulate and a regular analyst on Sportscene etc. Livingston fans seemed to credit him greatly with their defensive organisation too.

30 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Probably because he's getting results with a group of players that very few thought would win another game under WG and were destined for the bottom 3.  He has brought in some decent players to strengthen what were weak spots. Still early days of course, I'm not as confident as some that we'll reach the promotion play-offs, avoiding a defeat on Saturday might sway me though. Bartley seems to have improved things at training as well, working harder to finish games stronger, he also takes a keen interest in reserve and youth level games I believe. He was a well thought of coach at Livingston, management of a club like Queens would seem a good progression Whether he goes on to greater things elsewhere in future remains to be seen. 

Wait, people are confident? Leaving aside Dudley Do Right who was an utter troll and potentially not even a QoS fan, I've not seen anybody confident we'll reach the playoffs. Even with the run we're on it's still not likely. Even if we win our remaining 4 games (one of which is away to a team trying to clinch the league that day) it may not be enough.

I'm not sure there's any serious basis to suggest we'd not have won another game under Wullie. We managed to win 6 games when he was in charge after all. I do agree that Dabrowski and Brydon have been outstanding signings and Logan too has improved us significantly. Kabia had shown some good signs too before getting injured. We do look fitter for sure, and much better organised at the back (though that will partly be due to Brydon actually attacking anything that comes in our box and Kevin organising his back line better).

It will be interesting to see how many of the existing players he tries to retain and who he looks to bring in Three of the 4 signings are loans, though it's not inconceivable we might be able to keep some of them if he wants. It will also of course be interesting to see the make up of the division next season (assuming we don't do a Queen's Park having snuck into the playoffs). I'd imagine we'll likely see at least 2 other full time sides but it's also not impossible it could just be Airdrie (Hamilton catch Arbroath and Falkirk win playoffs) leaving us as the biggest full time side in the division, though in that scenario the likes of Arbroath and Cove might still outspend us and Airdrie.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Pretty much been covered already. I will add that he instantly got rid/dropped of our dodgy goalkeeper and worst defender (and probably second worst defender) as well. He loaned out Reilly too which raised some eyebrows but for me it showed he isn't afraid to make 'big' decisions. The players he brought in were a big improvement as well, though the jury is out on Kabia due to his injury. It bodes well for him building his own team though IMO. 

The results have started to arrive which is impressive given what he's working with. It's the best run we've had in about 7 years which I never thought would be achievable with this bunch tbh. 

It's early days but it has given me optimism going into next season that we appear to have a manager at the helm who knows what he's doing. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'd say some of it's maybe a bit premature rather than random, but we'll see.  There do appear to be some grounds for optimism regarding him.  

Instinctively though, optimism can always feel like something of a mistake for some of us.

As others have said, it's such a refreshing change to have a new manager who isn't from the old merry-go-round, who is erudite and confident in front of a camera/microphone, appears tactically and organisationally astute, knows what he wants and isn't afraid to make big decisions/changes.

However, as MT says above, optimism is a rarely held treat for QOS fans.  We so badly want Marvin to succeed, but at the same time we know that if he does it will only advance the date when we lose him to larger suitors.  Personally, accepting our place in the food-chain, I'd take the hoped-for limited success regardless.

On the face of it, our games against QoS have followed the trend of the season - two relatively comfortable wins away from home, or "professional" at least, and a bit of a struggle at EEP.

However, most of the issues at home have been due to sides camping out in their own half and us struggling to break them down.  When Queens came to East End, they looked a really good side coming forward, especially in the 1st half, and were deservedly in front.

I wouldn't be massively confident that we'll take the 3 points on Saturday.  If it's a draw and Airdrie do us a turn, I wouldn't be overly bothered though.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wait, people are confident? Leaving aside Dudley Do Right who was an utter troll and potentially not even a QoS fan, I've not seen anybody confident we'll reach the playoffs. Even with the run we're on it's still not likely. Even if we win our remaining 4 games (one of which is away to a team trying to clinch the league that day) it may not be enough.

I'm not sure there's any serious basis to suggest we'd not have won another game under Wullie. We managed to win 6 games when he was in charge after all. I do agree that Dabrowski and Brydon have been outstanding signings and Logan too has improved us significantly. Kabia had shown some good signs too before getting injured. We do look fitter for sure, and much better organised at the back (though that will partly be due to Brydon actually attacking anything that comes in our box and Kevin organising his back line better).

It will be interesting to see how many of the existing players he tries to retain and who he looks to bring in Three of the 4 signings are loans, though it's not inconceivable we might be able to keep some of them if he wants. It will also of course be interesting to see the make up of the division next season (assuming we don't do a Queen's Park having snuck into the playoffs). I'd imagine we'll likely see at least 2 other full time sides but it's also not impossible it could just be Airdrie (Hamilton catch Arbroath and Falkirk win playoffs) leaving us as the biggest full time side in the division, though in that scenario the likes of Arbroath and Cove might still outspend us and Airdrie.

Yes, perhaps quietly optimistic may have been more suitable rather than confidant. I'll try harder next time Headmaster. 

Only four games left now and I think it's all or nothing now (OK, not quite arithmetically so) for Queens and we need to go for the win here - the risk of course is that it leaves us too open and we get badly pumped in the process.  Better to miss out having had a real go though than to have been overly cautious.  A Queens win on Saturday and Alloa will start to get concerned.

Think this one could ‘buck the trend’ and be an open game at East End. Queens need to go for the win. Alloa and Edinburgh both favourites for their games and Queens chasing that last playoff spot.

I do believe that if they set up to attack and leave gaps for McCann (who’s been good lately), KRH and Todd, we’ll create chances. They’ll test our defence too. Paton looked good earlier in the season and would expect him to cause us problems again.

I’ll go for a 2-1 home win.

17 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes, perhaps quietly optimistic may have been more suitable rather than confidant. I'll try harder next time Headmaster. 

I'm just not seeing any other posters "quietly optimistic" either. Is this in person you're meaning? I've genuinely not seen anyone who actually thinks we're likely to get in yet. Pretty much everyone seems to be of a "we've left it just too late to find form" mindset.

Aye realistically would I rather we were playing someone else other than the team top of the form league? Yes. But we're also the last team to beat QoS and are top of the table that counts, we should go into this full of confidence but there will be that added pressure, and even expectancy knowing what's at stake.

Think it'll be tight but if we can get an early goal that seems to settle us down big time. McCann playing well just now, getting goals and assists, both Wighton and Todorov getting a goal last night so the front line should be full of confidence. I do think Airdrie will do us a turn anyway, think they'll get a draw at TFS.

Wonder if we'll see a bigger crowd, the Falkirk game was so busy for obvious reasons, but even the Kelty game the other week seemed bigger, like we were enjoying a little lift from that win over Falkirk in front of 9K. Would be nice to see more on the gate to watch the potential crowning.

Edited by The Toun Clock

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm just not seeing any other posters "quietly optimistic" either. Is this in person you're meaning? I've genuinely not seen anyone who actually thinks we're likely to get in yet. Pretty much everyone seems to be of a "we've left it just too late to find form" mindset.

If Pie and Bovril was the only reference point for getting people opinions then you are correct, but it's not. 

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

As others have said, it's such a refreshing change to have a new manager who isn't from the old merry-go-round, who is erudite and confident in front of a camera/microphone, appears tactically and organisationally astute, knows what he wants and isn't afraid to make big decisions/changes.

However, as MT says above, optimism is a rarely held treat for QOS fans.  We so badly want Marvin to succeed, but at the same time we know that if he does it will only advance the date when we lose him to larger suitors.  Personally, accepting our place in the food-chain, I'd take the hoped-for limited success regardless.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Intelligent, articulate, committed, good eye for a player and will get behind hard working, good quality players who want to win. Think he will recruit well and root out dead wood. Despite the no improvement early comments from some I think he has done a great job of late. I think it’s too tough for us to win all of the next 4 games but I’m proud of us at the moment and genuinely optimistic about the next campaign. Correct though that if he is successful then sadly a bigger team will poach Marv. Let’s enjoy the wild ride while we can though! 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

If Pie and Bovril was the only reference point for getting people opinions then you are correct, but it's not. 

I appreciate that, hence why I actually asked in the post you quoted if you were referring to personal sources. I don't know anyone who at this point thinks we'll be in the playoffs.

Would be good to bring home the trophy with a bit of style on Saturday Wighton McCann and Tordorov all hitting form just now so hopefully a few goals in it. 

Edwards looked more of himself last night so hopefully he gets back to the form we saw earlier in the season.