Dunfermline v Queens

28 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Neither of these two (Connelly and Murray) deserve to start in such an important game. I don’t actually think Wilson and Cochrane are all that similar at all - Cochrane hardly ever runs with the ball, whereas Wilson does, Cochrane very rarely gets ahead of the ball whereas Wilson does get into the box like he did at Alloa for second goal. 

I don't think they are all that similar. Cochrane likes to pull strings from deep, Wilson's much more about power running with and without the ball and sticking a foot into challenges. However, I do think they both are at their best when they operate in the same area of the pitch, just in front of our centre backs. When they've played together in the past Cochrane tends to be further forward and doesn't get the time and space he does sitting a bit deeper and is less effective as a result.

There's certainly an argument for a game like this being one where we play both but I don't think we'll get the best out of either, certainly Cochrane, if we do. I think Connelly and Paton had good games at EEP last time. I'd be tempted to go with last week's team again but they'll have to play better to get anything and I wouldn't be unhappy to see Cochrane come in, he's unlucky to be out of the side currently anyway.

33 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Neither of these two (Connelly and Murray) deserve to start in such an important game. I don’t actually think Wilson and Cochrane are all that similar at all - Cochrane hardly ever runs with the ball, whereas Wilson does, Cochrane very rarely gets ahead of the ball whereas Wilson does get into the box like he did at Alloa for second goal. 

They don't but Cochrane is a completely different player to both of them. As poor as they've been they're similar players and replacing them with Cochrane would mean a change to the system. Given MB seems to be sticking with a particular system I'm skeptical he's going to change it for, as you say, such an important match. 

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think they are all that similar. Cochrane likes to pull strings from deep, Wilson's much more about power running with and without the ball and sticking a foot into challenges. However, I do think they both are at their best when they operate in the same area of the pitch, just in front of our centre backs. When they've played together in the past Cochrane tends to be further forward and doesn't get the time and space he does sitting a bit deeper and is less effective as a result.

There's certainly an argument for a game like this being one where we play both but I don't think we'll get the best out of either, certainly Cochrane, if we do. I think Connelly and Paton had good games at EEP last time. I'd be tempted to go with last week's team again but they'll have to play better to get anything and I wouldn't be unhappy to see Cochrane come in, he's unlucky to be out of the side currently anyway.

That's more my point in regards to "similar". I think MB must think the same as they've yet to start a game together. I think it's one or the other in that holding role for us. To play them both would mean sacrificing a more attack minded player. I would love it to work with both of them in there but I don't think it would. 

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's more my point in regards to "similar". I think MB must think the same as they've yet to start a game together. I think it's one or the other in that holding role for us. To play them both would mean sacrificing a more attack minded player. I would love it to work with both of them in there but I don't think it would. 

Todd being there as well complicates things too. There isn't really room for all three in any formation. It's happened twice all season, the away games at Airdrie and Kelty back in October, on both occasions with Todd effectively moving to left wing in a 4-4-2 to accommodate it. Didn't really work (though both Todd and Cochrane scored in that Airdrie game) and Todd is less effective taken out of the middle.

Cochrane and Wilson did start a couple of games in November together (including the infamous 5-1 loss at Alloa) but Todd was out injured at the time. They also both started v Airdrie in the early season 1-1 at Palmerston but again, Todd wasn't fit and started on the bench.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

21 hours ago, AlwaysAPar said:

This must be the first match thread I’ve ever seen where queens fans aren’t united in predicting their team to get pumped.

Even last season they had no faith they wouldn’t get outdone by Grant and Hughes.

Their new manager must clearly be a miracle worker to have instilled this reserved optimism down there!

Or he has been reading previous posts and sending threatening PM’s telling them to be more positive?

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If they cannot play together and MB has formed that view then it would make no sense for HC to sign next season because he will be fulfilling an understudy role in L1. Hardly the most career enhancing prospect for a young player. Personally I don’t agree with this sentiment at all - you mentioned the 1-5 Alloa defeat when they both started along with Todd. I would contend that our first half performance that day was comprehensively our best performance of the season. Completely dominated midfield and should have been 3 goals up.What happened in the second half was horrific but Messrs McKay, Hendrie & Co were the man culprits.

Reading the match programme for tomorrow and they've got a section on four players to have played for both clubs. 

Graeme Robertson, Willie Gibson and Faiss all seemed fair. All had productive spells at both clubs. Davie Bingham seemed a bit of a stretch but if not him they'd have had to put in Potter, Simmons etc. 

Edited by Grant228

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Reading the match thread for tomorrow and they've got a section on four players to have played for both clubs. 

Graeme Robertson, Willie Gibson and Faiss all seemed fair. All had productive spells at both clubs. Davie Bingham seemed a bit of a stretch but if not him they'd have had to put in Potter, Simmons etc. 

Or worse, Reilly. Or Burns. 

Lee Robinson wouldn't be a bad shout. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Reading the match thread for tomorrow and they've got a section on four players to have played for both clubs. 

Nicky Clark done fairly well for both.

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Or worse, Reilly. Or Burns. 

Lee Robinson wouldn't be a bad shout. 

1 minute ago, The Toun Clock said:

Nicky Clark done fairly well for both.

Aye Robinson and Clark would've made sense, I think they've went for players that have a league winners medal at either club. 

12 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

If they cannot play together and MB has formed that view then it would make no sense for HC to sign next season because he will be fulfilling an understudy role in L1. Hardly the most career enhancing prospect for a young player. Personally I don’t agree with this sentiment at all - you mentioned the 1-5 Alloa defeat when they both started along with Todd. I would contend that our first half performance that day was comprehensively our best performance of the season. Completely dominated midfield and should have been 3 goals up.What happened in the second half was horrific but Messrs McKay, Hendrie & Co were the man culprits.

Er no, you've misread that. Todd was on the bench that day, just coming back from injury. The two games all three played were the 3-3 at Airdrie and the 0-1 at Kelty.

I don't agree with the first sentence either. I said I think they are less effective together and that it's difficult to fit them both in if Todd also plays. I've no idea what MB thinks. I don't think Cochrane's automatically an understudy to Wilson anyway, but neither has a stellar fitness record.

For what's worth, much as we were very good for the first half hour in Alloa that day, it's a reach to suggest it was our best performance of the season. It wasn't even our best v Alloa (that came in the 1-1 draw). That said, I do accept they played well, but much as Hendrie in particular had a horror of a second half that day, the midfield was complicit in us getting over-run.

19 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

He'll get plenty of chances when Wilson inevitably gets injured. I think the fact they've rarely featured together would suggest both managers this season saw them doing a similar role. I wouldn't want Wilson any further forward and I think it would be crazy to move Cochrane given he's having his best spell for us in that position. 

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Reading the match programme for tomorrow and they've got a section on four players to have played for both clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Aye Robinson and Clark would've made sense, I think they've went for players that have a league winners medal at either club. 

David Bingham was pretty much horrendous in his half season with us. Paul Burns would have been a much better choice (he did win a league with us).

And Faiss wasn't here very long either. He did well, particularly in one game where he near dismantled Dundee United on his own, but he played about 15 games, in a 4 month spell.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Bingham was one of the worst strikers I've ever seen in a QoS jersey. His legs were gone when he arrived. 

Bit of a reach as you say. They could have went with Todorov instead. He was pretty ineffective for us but having looked he only had 8 games on loan. Bingham only had 15 though. 

I think your struggling to find many that both sets of fans rate,  I've joked in the past about QoS fans not having a clue, it's quite funny how far apart we are in opinions about guys like burns and Reilly( tho queens have now seen the bad side of Reilly so maybe more of a consensus now) 

Gibson and clark likely closest and neither are exactly perfect characters.

Edit- to throw another name in callum fordyce,  who i don't think had a bad reputation at either,  but won't be named much as a top player.

Edited by parsforlife

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I think your struggling to find many that both sets of fans rate,  I've joked in the past about QoS fans not having a clue, it's quite funny how far apart we are in opinions about guys like burns and Reilly( tho queens have now seen the bad side of Reilly so maybe more of a consensus now) 

Gibson and clark likely closest and neither are exactly perfect characters.

Edit- to throw another name in callum fordyce,  who i don't think had a bad reputation at either,  but won't be named much as a top player.

That's football I suppose. Some players just fit at certain clubs. I liked Fordyce when he first joined. I liked him until his final season tbh when he looked poorer. But the players around him maybe didn't help I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

And who can forget Derek Lyle's incredibly successful loan spell for us?

I've no idea how he did for you but I thought he looked better technically after his spell with Dunfermline. I wonder if it was there someone said "your pace won't last forever, so learn to adapt" :lol: Lyle was a rare player in that he actually got better with age. Sadly Reilly never adapted and now his pace is fading he isn't very good.