Inverness CT v Dundee

39 minutes ago, MarbellaDEE said:

It should also be noted that the wee standing bit of Inverness fans is a full body minter, almost as bad as the accent you could hear when they finally sang a song after 75 minutes.

thank you. 

You’d think they’d want to be somewhere where the atmosphere they want to generate would encourage everyone else and reverberate around the stands but they and the club seem hell-bent on not doing that. 

Dundee probably should have won that. They started both halves so much quicker than we did and it felt like they had plenty of decent chances before we even got over the half way line. Some decent saves from Ridgers and fluffed efforts from the likes of Jakubiak kept things level. 

I felt we defended the opener poorly at the time. Opposition players allowed to much time and space and our defenders not picking up their men properly. We just seemed very slack for large parts of the game. Whilst it was a tidy finish I don't think we covered ourselves in glory trying to keep them out.

Nice hold up play from MacKay to keep the ball under pressure from Sweeney and a lovely run and cross to find Samuels at the back post for the equaliser. Probably our one really good bit of attacking play the entire game before we went back to hoofball forward for MacKay and Samuels to try and do something with.

A really quite bizarre performance from us. After seeing Shaw tear opponents apart on the flanks in recent weeks Dodds seems to be persisting with making him into a 10 where he hasn't looked at all as effective. Really odd that he has done this for the 3rd game in a row. The defending was chaotic at times and we really struggled with the intensity of the Dundee press at times. Any time Jakubiak or Robinson went up for a high ball Cameron was bursting forward to try and collect any knock down. Compare this to Mckay who spent an hour almost completely isolated trying to win headers against two gargantuan defenders. It was a frustrating watch.

Carson was probably our best player. Defended reasonably well for the most part and slotted into midfield very well once Dodds shuffled the pack. Impressed with Hannant in the opening stages of the game for Dundee where he was giving Carson a hard time but he (Carson) eventually got to grips with him. Also thought Cameron did well buzzing all over the pitch defending and attacking. Was happy when he went off.

Looks like our playoff spot is going to come down to a last day shoot out against Ayr United.

Edited by RiG

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

Dundee probably should have won that. They started both halves so much quicker than we did and it felt like they had plenty of decent chances before we even got over the half way line. Some decent saves from Ridgers and fluffed efforts from the likes of Jakubiak kept things level. 

I felt we defended the opener poorly at the time. Opposition players allowed to much time and space and our defenders not picking up their men properly. We just seemed very slack for large parts of the game. Whilst it was a tidy finish I don't think we covered ourselves in glory trying to keep them out.

Nice hold up play from MacKay to keep the ball under pressure from Sweeney and a lovely run and cross to find Samuels at the back post for the equaliser. Probably our one really good bit of attacking play the entire game before we went back to hoofball forward for MacKay and Samuels to try and do something with.

A really quite bizarre performance from us. After seeing Shaw tear opponents apart on the flanks in recent weeks Dodds seems to be persisting with making him into a 10 where he hasn't looked at all as effective. Really odd that he has done this for the 3rd game in a row. The defending was chaotic at times and we really struggled with the intensity of the Dundee press at times. Any time Jakubiak or Robinson went up for a high ball Cameron was bursting forward to try and collect any knock down. Compare this to Mckay who spent an hour almost completely isolated trying to win headers against two gargantuan defenders. It was a frustrating watch.

Carson was probably our best player. Defended reasonably well for the most part and slotted into midfield very well once Dodds shuffled the pack. Impressed with Hannant in the opening stages of the game for Dundee where he was giving Carson a hard time but he (Carson) eventually got to grips with him. Also thought Cameron did well buzzing all over the pitch defending and attacking. Was happy when he went off.

Looks like our playoff spot is going to come down to a last day shoot out against Ayr United.

Pretty good analysis imo. ICT’s best spell was after they scored. Our final ball was poor all game but we should’ve come away with all 3 points. 

Read on here about Inverness fans raving about Shaw. He did nothing to stand out yesterday. 

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I've no real arguments with any of that. Shaw didn't impress me, but this might explain why.

59 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Pretty good analysis imo. ICT’s best spell was after they scored. Our final ball was poor all game but we should’ve come away with all 3 points. 

Read on here about Inverness fans raving about Shaw. He did nothing to stand out yesterday. 

Just now, rambling syd rumpo said:

I've no real arguments with any of that. Shaw didn't impress me, but this might explain why.

He was being played in a position that, for me at least, he isn't anywhere near as effective. He's not the quickest but he's got good close control and decent skill. He's been performing better when played on the left but he did well  against Accies on Tuesday when deployed on the right. He's wasted when played in the middle.

Almost forgot about Steven Boyd. After a couple of good showings from the bench he got a start and was really poor. He must have tried to dribble into a Dundee player on multiple occasions constantly losing the ball. Back to the bench for next weekend please.

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

Almost forgot about Steven Boyd. After a couple of good showings from the bench he got a start and was really poor. He must have tried to dribble into a Dundee player on multiple occasions constantly losing the ball. Back to the bench for next weekend please.

In fairness Boyd was up against Josh Mulligan who is a highly mobile brick shithouse.. It's easy to run into him. They were actually together for a while when Mulligan was on loan at Peterhead. Unfortunately that loan spell was wrecked because Josh was injured almost immediately. Boyd & Mulligan did both start in a league cup win for Peterhead at Tannadice, for which we thank them both.

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

He was being played in a position that, for me at least, he isn't anywhere near as effective. He's not the quickest but he's got good close control and decent skill. He's been performing better when played on the left but he did well  against Accies on Tuesday when deployed on the right. He's wasted when played in the middle.

Shaw might be the lip side of the problem that afflicted Lyall Cameron until this season. In Scotland we play tall guys through the middle and wee men on the wings. Cameron is far more effective through the middle than when he is stuck out wide. He can send a decent pass, has the knack of sneaking into the box behind the strikers to pick up scraps, he has a good first touch and finishes well.

Edited by rambling syd rumpo

Forgot to mention, good to see pretty much all of the away support joining in with the minutes applause for our late groundsman Tommy Cumming who recently passed away.

19 minutes ago, RiG said:

Forgot to mention, good to see pretty much all of the away support joining in with the minutes applause for our late groundsman Tommy Cumming who recently passed away.

I think our support were excellent on Saturday. I was up with a non Dee who supports a club that I won’t mention out of decency with it being Sunday and all that. He was saying how much he could sense the nerves in the stand, particularly after the equaliser. I assured him that this was just another day in the life of a Dundee fan. Doing things the hard way since day one, it’s the only way we know how. Onwards and upwards (hopefully). 

20 hours ago, MarbellaDEE said:

It should also be noted that the wee standing bit of Inverness fans is a full body minter, almost as bad as the accent you could hear when they finally sang a song after 75 minutes.

thank you. 

Not as much of a 'minter' as the reports of Dundee fans ruining pool tables, shiteing on pub toilet floors and whatever the f**k this is

Edited by Stephen Malkmus

3 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Not as much of a 'minter' as the reports of Dundee fans ruining pool tables, shiteing on pub toilet floors and whatever the f**k this is

If true then very disappointing to hear tbh. Was a good party atmosphere in the bar we were in. 

6 hours ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Imagine having the paucity of thought such that you're unable to embrace the fact that your behaviour is so very far away from our cultural norms.

1 minute ago, sophia said:

I was referring to the song 

I said what I said.

Not everyone sings it. Some people feel that context is relevant. Some people see the objection as valid and others don't.

I wasn't refering to the song because if you see that as problematic then you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist. Context is relevant. There is no hate there at all. Dundee's rivalry is family rivalry. It is for the most part friendly.

I think the Shaw as a 10 experiment should come to an end now.  It worked in the beginning but I think teams have clocked now that there's a bit of the Gregory Tade about Shaw - instinctively he's good but as soon as he has to think he's at a disadvantage.  I do wish someone who would coach him to really drive with the ball.  When he actually has the ball, defenders find it hard to get it off him, but too often he gets into a dangerous area and then puts his foot on it and turns backwards.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I think the Shaw as a 10 experiment should come to an end now.  It worked in the beginning but I think teams have clocked now that there's a bit of the Gregory Tade about Shaw - instinctively he's good but as soon as he has to think he's at a disadvantage.  I do wish someone who would coach him to really drive with the ball.  When he actually has the ball, defenders find it hard to get it off him, but too often he gets into a dangerous area and then puts his foot on it and turns backwards.

I think the problem is we don’t have any great options at 10. Samuels is a CF or a winger, Doran is handy off the bench but not up to pace, Harper has had his moments but I think he’s best further back. I would say Samuels, Shaw, Henderson is our best “3”, but not convinced on either Samuels or Shaw at 10 🤷‍♂️