SPFL 2 playoffs - (Brechin,) Spartans and (another) Albion Rovers

16 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Hoping Brechin can win this - the prospect of Spartans AND Edinburgh City in the league is quite unappealing. Meadowbank is bad enough, but also having Ainslie Park back in the league at the expense of Glebe Park or Cliftonhill would not be good. 

As much as I like going to Cliftonhill, that’s based on the game being a derby rather than the facilities on offer. It’s an absolute tip of a ground. Ainslie Park isn’t great either - they are trying though and the second stand being put up helps a little. I wouldn’t mind see Spartans getting promoted (they were the better team v Brechin even with 10 men) given the work that’s done in the local community by the club. The set up (from that respect) is tremendous. It would be a shame to see the Rovers drop though. 

Checked the stats, probably been mentioned on another thread on this forum but 36 points is the highest ever points tally for the bottom team of this league, might be higher if Albion beat Stirling. One of the closest leagues between top and bottom as well. So I'm going for club 42 be it Albion or Bonnyrigg to stay up. Nothing against Spartans or Brechin, I'm sure they will come up in the future.

21 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

As much as I like going to Cliftonhill, that’s based on the game being a derby rather than the facilities on offer. It’s an absolute tip of a ground. Ainslie Park isn’t great either - they are trying though and the second stand being put up helps a little. I wouldn’t mind see Spartans getting promoted (they were the better team v Brechin even with 10 men) given the work that’s done in the local community by the club. The set up (from that respect) is tremendous. It would be a shame to see the Rovers drop though. 

At least we have our own ground...

Edited by Shawheadrover

13 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Checked the stats, probably been mentioned on another thread on this forum but 36 points is the highest ever points tally for the bottom team of this league, might be higher if Albion beat Stirling. One of the closest leagues between top and bottom as well. So I'm going for club 42 be it Albion or Bonnyrigg to stay up. Nothing against Spartans or Brechin, I'm sure they will come up in the future.

This is true. It is a really close league. Albion Rovers are as good as anyone else. But it doesn't necessarily mean that the standard is particularly high. I don't think it has been. Having said that, Albion Rovers on their day can play some decent stuff, so I don't think all is lost, assuming of course that it is them that end up as club 42

Going into this Stirling game without much confidence that we'll not end up as team 42 but confident that should we do so Spartans and Brechin are far from invincible.

And who is more appropriate to adorn the cover but Charlie Reilly who is a nominee for the league 2 player of the year!

Programme is £2.50 and is on sale just inside the turnstiles!

1prog.jpeg

Edited by roy of the rovers

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Albion Rovers are the definition of SPFL deadwood so guess it's better if Spartans go up. If they do, 5 out of 20 in Leagues One and Two next season will have got there through the playoff.

Highly doubtful if any those going down will ever come back up again.

Thought maybe Brechin City might have had a chance.

On 04/05/2023 at 10:04, Shawheadrover said:

At least we have our own ground...

Great relevant point there - not! Remind us all where you are in the league with your own stadium? Bottom, so fat lot of good your dump has done for your performance on the park. A stupid, meaningless point to make. 

Quite a few clubs in the leagues don't own their stadium, and anyway Airdrie's stadium owner owns...Airdrie!