🔵🔴 The Caley v Ayr ⚪⚫

9 hours ago, RiG said:

Inverness lacks a good selection of chippies. MacLeods in The Ferry is probably the best IMVHO.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the poorest of fish and the tyranny of limp chips. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak over the Grant Street Bridge, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of MacLeod's tasty meal.

5 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I found out last night I was stung £12 for a fish supper in Pitlochry on the way back from Hampden on Saturday. Didn’t even help to sober me up.

There's a reason for the sun-shining sky and there's a reason for the prices so high. Must be the season for tourist prices all around us.

The price of a fish supper is fucking scandalous tbh. You could pay close to a tenner in some places and end up with a piece of piss thin fish and a measly helping of chips. 

I agree with @callum-ayrthough, the Wellington in Ayr was the go to place although it was pricey in the end. Dinos on Maybole road is quite good though. Never tried the Lucky Star but I might give it a go. 

I haven't tried lucky star in around 10-15 years, class back then but I've heard some poor stuff since it got taken over. 

I really think a chippy has totally lost value for money unless you're getting something small. A Chinese is the way to go for big portions and overall quality of food.

7 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Lucky star or dinos on Maybole Road are the GOAT in Ayr 

I’m not sure if my opinion truly counts as it isn’t standard chippy fare, but I judge a chippy on their Italian style pizza, chips and fritter offerings. Absolutely Maybole Road Dinos for me, with a shout out to Enzo’s too. 

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

That's the one I actually was meaning, but all this Blue Lagoon chat led to that specific brain fart. It's basically outside my door, horrific place, not sure if all the articles I've seen about it are all about the same incident or separate ones. When the health inspector says it's one of the worst he's ever seen then you know it's bad, and he's seen some shit no doubt.

It's definitely different incidents. That whole block at the Toll must have some extremely cheap rent, probably because the sewage lines lead back in the 12th Century.

It probably was a Blue Lagoon at one point. One of those Glasgow things that you wish hadn't somehow gotten its claws into Ayr. Startlingly similar to Rangers shops for that matter.

To be honest I don't get chippies when I'm in Ayr. Firstly salt and sauce is simply empirically better. Secondly this would mean not getting a Beijing Palace every night.

4 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Chippies near me: The Blue Lagoon Burns Supper got tore an absolute new one by health & safety a few years back so haven't been in it since. The Vesta at tam's brig got taken over and turned to shit, so have to go up to Guidi's now, which is decent.

Burns supper worst chip pie in the world , can’t beat The Lucky Star in George Street across the road from the best bakers in Ayr The Home Bakery run by two big Ayr United fans , Stevie and the legend Doddsy McBlain 

Guest ICTFCwife
7 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I found out last night I was stung £12 for a fish supper in Pitlochry on the way back from Hampden on Saturday. Didn’t even help to sober me up.

I wouldn’t waste your money on the one in Pitlochry having been to it a handful of times I would say a far superior chippy is Marinis in Perth. I’ve always noticed the supporters bus stops at Hong Kong kitchen and granted the chips are alright and Hong Kong is one of the better Chinese’s in Perth the best chippy in Perth is Marinis. It’s an Italian run chippy,reasonably priced,Massive portions,plus if you still have room after a fish supper they do nice Italian ice cream albeit not as good as mieles. 

So many of the chippies in Ayr went downhill when the old school Italian owners left them...i think the Wellington was one of the last!

Vesta used to be great, Hillfoot was up there too. Lucky Star was quality. Forehill was a finalist for best chippie in Britain not that long ago...it was good still when I was over last year.

That's one thing I do miss about Scotland...good chippies, the shite "Bri-ish Chippy" efforts over here are pathetic

Anyway, my prediction as always, Inverness 7-0 Ayr and our loan players to be laughing and joking at the final whistle

Edited by mugen_power

Guest ICTFCwife
10 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

So many of the chippies in Ayr went downhill when the old school Italian owners left them...i think the Wellington was one of the last!

Vesta used to be great, Hillfoot was up there too. Lucky Star was quality. Forehill was a finalist for best chippie in Britain not that long ago...it was good still when I was over last year.

That's one thing I do miss about Scotland...good chippies, the shite "Bri-ish Chippy" efforts over here are pathetic

Anyway, my prediction as always, Inverness 7-0 Ayr and our loan players to be laughing and joking at the final whistle

The chippy in Largs has always been decent when I’ve been but saying that not been that direction in a long time so perhaps it’s went downhill too. It was an Italian run one from what I remember. 
7-0? I reckon based on the last few games against ayr and taking into account we seem to be on a winning streak atm. A 3-1 or 3-0 caley win. 

The best is a little chippy called Harkers, 3 minutes away from me tucked up a side street in Girvan. The fish are straight off the boat and are massive, and everything’s still fried in traditional beef dripping, so the batter crunch is off the scale. You’ll find it easily because the queue usually starts round about ASDA on the outskirts of town.

As for the infamous Ayr one on Heathfield Road, me and some mates deliberately went there after a night on the swally in Ayr to find out how bad it could possibly be. Christallfuckingmighty 🫣

3 hours ago, ICTFCwife said:

The chippy in Largs has always been decent when I’ve been but saying that not been that direction in a long time so perhaps it’s went downhill too. It was an Italian run one from what I remember.

Nardini's is an institution and obviously the family is rolling in it now, so can't see that being handed over.

I went to primary school with the scion of the Dino's legacy. Pretty sure he left Ayr at 18 and never looked back.

1 hour ago, Chippyminton said:

The best is a little chippy called Harkers, 3 minutes away from me tucked up a side street in Girvan. The fish are straight off the boat and are massive, and everything’s still fried in traditional beef dripping, so the batter crunch is off the scale. You’ll find it easily because the queue usually starts round about ASDA on the outskirts of town.

A chippy in Girvan on the way back is what makes a trip to Stranraer worthwhile.

A much better read this thread than the last league one we had which featured the usual contributions from some of the weirdest and angriest Dundee fans on the forum.

I haven't been for a chippy in Inverness for many, many years but there was a terrible lack of decent chippies back then and I can't imagein it's changed.

17 minutes ago, RiG said:

A much better read this thread than the last league one we had which featured the usual contributions from some of the weirdest and angriest Dundee fans on the forum.

One of the most underrated considerations for who deserves to get promoted / relegated is the quality of their posters. For that reason everyone should be hoping that yet again Falkirk fail to navigate the playoffs.