🔵🔴 The Caley v Ayr ⚪⚫

15 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The price of a fish supper is fucking scandalous tbh. You could pay close to a tenner in some places and end up with a piece of piss thin fish and a measly helping of chips. 

I agree with @callum-ayrthough, the Wellington in Ayr was the go to place although it was pricey in the end. Dinos on Maybole road is quite good though. Never tried the Lucky Star but I might give it a go. 

Dino's on Maybole Rd is where I would choose if I were in Ayr. My folks swear by Forehill though. I think the key thing is to get it yourself and eat it straightaway. Nothing worse than a delivered supper where the chips are stone cold. Boak.

3 hours ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

For travelling supporters on Friday, Dunkeld is the chippy of choice on the A9 for me, although it’s a bit early in the drive. Surprising lack of good options in and around Aviemore, which would be the best spot in terms of timing.

The Happy Haggis in Aviemore, the last shop on the Grampian Road south out of town, isn't too bad we thought. We have friends local who think it's the best of the local options.  

7 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

The best is a little chippy called Harkers, 3 minutes away from me tucked up a side street in Girvan. The fish are straight off the boat and are massive, and everything’s still fried in traditional beef dripping, so the batter crunch is off the scale. You’ll find it easily because the queue usually starts round about ASDA on the outskirts of town.

As for the infamous Ayr one on Heathfield Road, me and some mates deliberately went there after a night on the swally in Ayr to find out how bad it could possibly be. Christallfuckingmighty 🫣

Girvan has 2 chippies and both are shite.  Dont know what Girvan you're speaking about 🤯

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Girvan has 2 chippies and both are shite.  Dont know what Girvan you're speaking about 🤯

Marine or whatever it's called used to be great but last time I got something it was average at best. If I'm in Girvan it's always the one down the harbour I go to. 

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Marine or whatever it's called used to be great but last time I got something it was average at best. If I'm in Girvan it's always the one down the harbour I go to. 

Aye Marine has been dire for years. The harbour is hit and miss. If you get it fresh it's alright. Usually far too greasy though. Pizza shop is epic and I'd chose that over a chippy 

Edited by Thereisalight..

Dino's on Maybole Road i'd say have improved their chips a lot lately, felt they used to be pretty pale and dry with them not being cooked for long enough but lately they're a lot better IMO

Best chippy I’ve had is the merchant city chippy in Glasgow. Wee hurry is good too but expensive and the wait as mentioned is excessive. 

I haven’t had much luck with take aways in Inverness but most restaurants are pretty banging 

10 hours ago, RiG said:

A much better read this thread than the last league one we had which featured the usual contributions from some of the weirdest and angriest Dundee fans on the forum.

100% agreed - not necessarily relating to just oddball Dees supporters (who are in the minority, I'd add), but to all the bangers on here. We all support different teams, we all take the pish and we all enjoy great banter, but deep down we're here primarily for the love of the game. I hope your game is so evenly matched - that it's a draw. That would please me a whole lot.

I'm off to the chippy. All the best to everyone.

11 hours ago, Thumper said:

Nardini's is an institution and obviously the family is rolling in it now, so can't see that being handed over.

I went to primary school with the scion of the Dino's legacy. Pretty sure he left Ayr at 18 and never looked back.

A chippy in Girvan on the way back is what makes a trip to Stranraer worthwhile.

Especially now the the bypass is built and you don't have to go through Maybole 🤣 Full of super-sectarian Rangers supporters for some inexplicable reason. They should all be supporting Ayr United ** Traitors to South Ayrshire, the whole mess of them.

** Or Morton, obviously

Edited by Chippyminton

What does everyone have from the chippy and what do you put on it? The classic fish supper is my staple though I am partial to a jumbo sausage (oo er) and chips. Bit of salt and vinegar and some tomato sauce rounds things off nicely.

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

What does everyone have from the chippy and what do you put on it? The classic fish supper is my staple though I am partial to a jumbo sausage (oo er) and chips. Bit of salt and vinegar and some tomato sauce rounds things off nicely.

Fish supper - weirdly I do not eat seafood apart from this.

Sausage supper

Also was previously partial to a king rib supper, though have not had one in about 10 years.

3 minutes ago, RiG said:

Big Harkers cod and chips for me - bring your own forklift. Although their smoked sausage supper and battered slice are stellar. Fuckloads of salt & vinegar on both.

14 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Especially now the the bypass is built and you don't have to go through Maybole 🤣 Full of super-sectarian Rangers supporters for some inexplicable reason. They should all be supporting Ayr United ** Traitors to South Ayrshire, the whole mess of them.

** Or Morton, obviously

09021CA9-53B0-498F-AB54-5BC852095662.gif