The Playoffs - Round 1. Jags v Spiders

I really hope Bannigan is back on Friday. Our centre back pairing is pretty poor, and Bannigan-Docherty as a pairing provide them with far more protection than anything else we can put out.

If he’s not fit, then I’d go with Hodson who has mostly done a perfectly serviceable job there - and I think it was him with the wee flick to Graham at the winner too, which was lovely. Cole McKinnon is the other option and is better on the ball but just goes into hiding too often I think.

Leave the back 4 as it is, as it’s unfortunately all we’ve really got.

Edit: also, on the first goal, I think that’s just the fact that Mitchell’s a bog standard championship level goalkeeper than a proper mistake necessarily. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

14 hours ago, Thumper said:

Is there some rule that only fans of teams with embarrassing excuses for half-built stadiums ever get worked up over crowd figures?

I think the rule is that fans of "big" clubs like to crowdw@nk at "wee" clubs and it does get a bit tedious, particularly when you have to put up with  endless excuses for half-built stadiums and play your home games 30 miles away from your ground.

13 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I really hope Bannigan is back on Friday. Our centre back pairing is pretty poor, and Bannigan-Docherty as a pairing provide them with far more protection than anything else we can put out.

Can’t say that Doolan’s post-match gave me much confidence that Bannigan will be back for Friday, but he did admit he hadn’t actually spoke to him after the game at this point. There was a noticeable difference in the side when Stuart went off, and it’d be a huge blow to head into the 2nd leg without him. Unless Doolan goes all out attack and sticks with the 4-4-2 he changed to last night (which I wouldn’t be against), I’d expect Hodson to come in for Bannigan. 

may be misremembering but the first goal im more inclined to fault the midfield for letting Thomas run about 8000 yards unchallenged to the edge of the area, fair enough he showed nice footwork once he got there to wrong foot the defence. Just bring him down with a nice, horrible, cynical shirt pull or something and take the booking.

2 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

may be misremembering but the first goal im more inclined to fault the midfield for letting Thomas run about 8000 yards unchallenged to the edge of the area, fair enough he showed nice footwork once he got there to wrong foot the defence. Just bring him down with a nice, horrible, cynical shirt pull or something and take the booking.

6.45 - it really is poor how Thomas is able to get a shot away given how many Thistle players are around him. Not sure Mitchell can be blamed all that much. 

4 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I've not watched it back but Bannigan was injured in the buildup which was probably a factor. Same applies wrt Thomas for the third though. 

On Bannigan, not arrogance as it's going to be tight on Friday but I'd rather err on the side of caution, the objective is promotion and there are 2 more hurdles potentially after Friday so possibly better to gamble and keep Bannigan fresh, especially on the plastic. 

44 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Can’t say that Doolan’s post-match gave me much confidence that Bannigan will be back for Friday, but he did admit he hadn’t actually spoke to him after the game at this point. There was a noticeable difference in the side when Stuart went off, and it’d be a huge blow to head into the 2nd leg without him. Unless Doolan goes all out attack and sticks with the 4-4-2 he changed to last night (which I wouldn’t be against), I’d expect Hodson to come in for Bannigan. 

What was it he said ?

1 minute ago, jagsfan57 said:

What was it he said ?

Something like Stuart said when he came off that his calf was gone. Doolan then said it takes a lot for Bannigan to come off the field which indicated to him immediately that it must have been serious, but he was being assessed by the physio whilst Dools was doing the interview. 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

6.45 - it really is poor how Thomas is able to get a shot away given how many Thistle players are around him. Not sure Mitchell can be blamed all that much. 

Indeed,he may even have been partially unsighted by the chaos created by Thomas weaving in and out our largely pedestrian defence .

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s significantly less farfetched than a team containing Sean McGinty being even vaguely competent. 

Believe it or not mcginty has been terrific under bullen .he is prone for the odd brain fart but so are most defenders at this level .

Watch him have a howler next week now  .

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s significantly less farfetched than a team containing Sean McGinty being even vaguely competent. 

Any Ayr fan who’s actually paid attention to the games this season will be able to tell you how important McGinty has been. He’s done more this season than Muirhead or Brownlie ever did for us. 

I appreciate though that McGinty was a bomb scare before Ayr but Bullen has been great for him since coming in. 

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

It is baffling to me that a team with Mitchell, Aero and Brownlie could get promoted!

To be fair, Aero has actually been part of a promotion-winning side in this league before. 

33 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Record reporting that Savoury is out tomorrow and probably the rest of the playoffs if Queen's Park progress.

I suspect Tuesday was his last game for us then; would be surprised if he's not sold in the summer.