The Compo Faces Thread

On 09/10/2023 at 18:25, HibeeJibee said:

New Quay couple lose sleep over 5G mast plans by their home - BBC News

New Quay couple lose sleep over 5G mast plans by their “forever home”

A couple say they are losing sleep over plans to put up a 5G mast metres from their home. A planning application has been submitted for the mast at Quay West Holiday Park in New Quay, Ceredigion. Henry Dent and Lauren Bromley fear the 70ft (21m) mast, which would overlook their home, could affect its value. Haven Holidays, which owns the land, said the mast would enhance mobile coverage in what can be a congested area during the summer.

Henry Dent, a 44-year-old business owner, said: "All the work we've both put into this house it just feels like it's being taken away from us. "We feel invisible basically like they've completely brushed us aside. It's already taken a toll on me, I've lost a lot of sleep over this. "Worrying, feeling completely powerless - a small objection on a portal online is the only voice I have. "It's devastating. We've put everything we have into this property. It's our forever home," he added.

_131366712_686e7435-1c68-493c-9b42-4153c

In a literal sense does a "forever" home's value actually matter...?

Jeez, that Dent family have nae luck. His dad, Arthur, had his house flattened by bulldozers to make way for a bypass, iirc.

A couple say they are losing sleep over plans to put up a 5G mast metres from their home. A planning application has been submitted for the mast at Quay West Holiday Park in New Quay, Ceredigion. Henry Dent and Lauren Bromley fear the 70ft (21m) mast, which would overlook their home, could affect its value. Haven Holidays, which owns the land, said the mast would enhance mobile coverage in what can be a congested area during the summer.

Henry Dent, a 44-year-old business owner, said: "All the work we've both put into this house it just feels like it's being taken away from us. "We feel invisible basically like they've completely brushed us aside. It's already taken a toll on me, I've lost a lot of sleep over this. "Worrying, feeling completely powerless - a small objection on a portal online is the only voice I have. "It's devastating. We've put everything we have into this property. It's our forever home," he added.

Imagine your "forever home" being in the back garden of a caravan park.

I thought his hae read Harvey Dent at first.... Bet he is a right two-faced tube.

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Newcastle City Council said in September 2022, since RJ Lifts was introduced to maintain the elevators, the contract has "not been performing to the standard we would hope. John just needs to Relax".

10 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Newcastle City Council said in September 2022, since RJ Lifts was introduced to maintain the elevators, the contract has "not been performing to the standard we would hope. John just needs to Relax".

He looks like he's ready to Rage Hard.

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

She's had the same number for 50 years despite it having numbers added from time-to-time. 

image.jpeg.deaa5437d053eac2e3e6b33c5614c6d3.jpeg

On 12/10/2023 at 00:59, Thistle_do_nicely said:

is this not something to do with tax, think VAT due on hot food depending on whether you sit in or take away? Pop into greggs for a latte from time to time and im sure they have different menu prices where its dearer to sit in.

You pay VAT on hot food* anyway, wherever you eat it. 

The plate thing is to stop people massively overloading their plates to take food home with them.  I did read the article, and the landlord was scathing, calling the guy a “cheapo Charlie” and going on about how everyone else gave them five star ratings so much that a cynical person might think they cooked up the whole stooshie as a publicity stunt.

*by which I mean good which has been heated to be served hot, and not food which is simply hot as a consequence of being heated to improve the flavour. 

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

You pay VAT on hot food* anyway, wherever you eat it. 

The plate thing is to stop people massively overloading their plates to take food home with them.  I did read the article, and the landlord was scathing, calling the guy a “cheapo Charlie” and going on about how everyone else gave them five star ratings so much that a cynical person might think they cooked up the whole stooshie as a publicity stunt.

*by which I mean good which has been heated to be served hot, and not food which is simply hot as a consequence of being heated to improve the flavour. 

Cheers, yeh wasnt sure if they charge more as the VAT due is different depending on if you sit in or take away. Might have been confusing myself with regard to that pasty tax debacle a while back.

54 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Cheers, yeh wasnt sure if they charge more as the VAT due is different depending on if you sit in or take away. Might have been confusing myself with regard to that pasty tax debacle a while back.

You're right, VAT would apply on food when eaten on the premises which is why some of the products have different prices depending on where it's consumed.

Some items, such as chocolate biscuits or hot food have VAT on them regardless of where they're eaten so their prices don't vary.