Bonnyrigg Rose 2023-24 Best supported team in SPFL2

2 hours ago, Broonaldo said:

Poor post, naive comments. In only our 2nd season in the SPFL, it’ll take time (and a lot of money) to get our infrastructure in place. But we’ve our own ground, we’re not wracking ourselves with massive debt (and no rich sugar daddy here), we’ve a Board with the right intentions, a local community fan base with relatively realistic ambitions and we know if we’re relegated we’ll still be in existence in a few years time.

Can you say that about your club?  Can many in the lower leagues?

This is fair enough and I think the covered seating behind the goal is a fairly new addition but toilet facilities akin to your average building site is not suitable facilities for league football imo. There’s not much you can do about the state of that pitch without a massive expense but again it’s almost amateur level stuff.

It’s one of the most basic facilities I’ve been to and I can see why some clubs are pushing for higher licensing criteria for promotion into the SPFL. We’ve now got Edinburgh city and Bonnyrigg whose facilities are unfit for the level of football they are playing at.

26 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

This is fair enough and I think the covered seating behind the goal is a fairly new addition but toilet facilities akin to your average building site is not suitable facilities for league football imo. There’s not much you can do about the state of that pitch without a massive expense but again it’s almost amateur level stuff.

It’s one of the most basic facilities I’ve been to and I can see why some clubs are pushing for higher licensing criteria for promotion into the SPFL. We’ve now got Edinburgh city and Bonnyrigg whose facilities are unfit for the level of football they are playing at.

You’re right Clyde01, they are ‘basic’ but we’ve only been in the SPFL for 2 seasons. Are our facilities any worse than Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers who were until recently in the SPFL? Once (if!!) we get a few seasons of SPFL revenues, the Club will invest in the infrastructure and make things better - but the Committee are clear, they’re not going to burden the Club with debt to make unsustainable improvements.

What folks need to realise is teams in the LL are getting half your revenues (lower crowds, lower ticket prices, less chance of Cup revenues, less cash from the SFA), is it any wonder our facilities are more ‘basic’? Give us time (or investment!!) and we’ll get there! 

The pitch is what it is, I actually don't mind away games having a bit of variety. It's a totally different challenge.

For me, the toilets being a pair of portaloos is really not acceptable after nearly 2 years in the SPFL. My kid goes to nearly every home game and has been to a few away; I'd not be taking him anywhere near Bonnyrigg.

Hopefully they stay up (not at our expense obviously) as they've managed to do it without any OTT financial backing and are a big enough club to establish themselves at this level. 

People are so fickle on this, they criticise money clubs like cove, kelty and edinburgh for what they spent and then have the cheek to criticise a brilliant club like bonnyrigg for being the one that's tried to live within their means.

Edited by ScottishLoon

39 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

People are so fickle on this, they criticise money clubs like cove, kelty and edinburgh for what they spent and then have the cheek to criticise a brilliant club like bonnyrigg for being the one that's tried to live within their means.

Permanent toilets are not outwith anyone's means.

2 hours ago, Broonaldo said:

You’re right Clyde01, they are ‘basic’ but we’ve only been in the SPFL for 2 seasons. Are our facilities any worse than Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers who were until recently in the SPFL? Once (if!!) we get a few seasons of SPFL revenues, the Club will invest in the infrastructure and make things better - but the Committee are clear, they’re not going to burden the Club with debt to make unsustainable improvements.

What folks need to realise is teams in the LL are getting half your revenues (lower crowds, lower ticket prices, less chance of Cup revenues, less cash from the SFA), is it any wonder our facilities are more ‘basic’? Give us time (or investment!!) and we’ll get there! 

Much as I feel queasy every time I think of that play off game in 2022, and the pitch itself is very strange, I think you guys have done really well in incrementally making improvements without having buckets of cash, so to be too critical of the facilities is unfair. Particularly by a bunch of sofa surfers. 

Hopefully one day I feel strong enough to return to NDP 😀

1 hour ago, Wee man the jackass said:

A lot to be down about in Bonnyrigg at the moment but got to focus on the positives - when they go back down all the 'improvements' made to their ground will at least scrape them above Cowdenbeath in the shit LL facilities list when they go down 👏

You do realise Cowdenbeath’s ground met bronze licensing standards with 2 large stands and extensive concrete stepped terracing 

We’re in big trouble - I wasn’t at Dumbarton but it sounded like we offered nothing to the game. I’ve been to most games this season and we seem so devoid of confidence, some of the tactics are baffling, the team selection is head scratching and our squad is not good enough ….. therefore questions have to be asked if Robbie Horn’s time is up. We’ve been screaming out for a dominant CB, someone to help Lee Currie in midfield and a strong striker since Big McGachie has been struggling with injury. Instead we buy wee speedy guys who have no chance using that speed on a pitch that is a quagmire.

Thing is though, if Robbie goes, who do we get instead - sometimes it is a case of “better the devil you know” …… Big decisions for our Board.

It’s looking very ominous. Run-in of six games, four of which are against teams in the top five (the fifth of whom beat Bonnyrigg again yesterday).

Last season’s points total of 42 looks impossible to match from the current base of 30 points.

Must-win games then against Stranraer (A) and Forfar (H), but even those wins would only take Bonnyrigg to three points shy of the 39-points total accumulated by Albion Rovers when relegated last year. Where are the other points coming from to beat that total?

Was a bit disconcerted to hear Horn’s interview after the Clyde game where he said something to effect of “we’re in a stronger position than last season” (I can’t be bothered looking up the exact quote, I’m not the Press Association). I would have begged to differ then, and I would beg to differ now after another defeat.

I’ve read rumours on here today, and also on Twitter/X that Horn has left, I’ve absolutely no idea if that is indeed the case or not.

If Horn remains, he’s pulled off big results before (Albion Rovers one-year ago tomorrow comes first to mind), and perhaps he can do it again.

Were it to be the case that he has left now, who comes next? It’s traditional on these occasions for folk on P&B to joke that John Hughes is coming in. For Bonnyrigg, he’s local, he has family connections to a club player, and he’s a long time out of work now. It wouldn’t shock me if he comes in now to see out the season. I’m not advocating this, just speculating what may be coming next. It’s a bit of a “Neil Warnock” appointment for me, I’ll leave it there.

Longer-term it’s a conundrum. A change seems to be coming, doesn’t it? The manager may or may not continue, but several longer-served players are probably on their last lap. So the club has very clearly stalled on-the-pitch after a long period of success, and don’t seem willing to go down the route of spending their way out of a problem using unsustainable debt (to their immense credit).

Anyway, I continue to wish them well. They are a local club to me and it has been great having “pro” football for Midlothian, even if it proves to be short-lived.

It would be an absolute disaster for the club to go down needing such a huge rebuild, but if they are rolling the dice with a managerial change now, I fear this change has came a few weeks too late. What a mess.

Unless they have someone lined up and ready to go this could be the worst decision of any team in the league this season, and yes I am including the madness that was Clyde FC last summer.  With Stranraer away this weekend and only 2 training sessions ahead of it, how much is likely going to change in time to make an impact.  Ian McCall had time to evaluate, a transfer window and made it count (so far at least).  At best it's a "Hail Mary" play, at worst resignation and planning for Lowland League.  It's just improbable to see a manager with enough experience and know-how to accept the job there at this stage of the season and with them in freefall.  

Edited by Glorious Purpose

37 minutes ago, Glorious Purpose said:

Unless they have someone lined up and ready to go this could be the worst decision of any team in the league this season, and yes I am including the madness that was Clyde FC last summer.  

Really? Bonnyrigg have been absolutely terrible for a long time and it didn’t even remotely look like changing. They had to try something, even letting one of the senior players step up for the rest of the season is better than sticking with something that clearly isn’t working.