Philip Schofield

2 hours ago, btb said:

Maybe a bit off topic but in A Hard Day's Night fillum The Beatles chat up a bunch of schoolgirls on the train down south. One of the schoolgirls was Patti Boyd who later married George and was 19/20 when the scenes were shot (but that's another trope) but I don't think a scene like that would pass muster today.

George Harrison had just turned 21 years old when Hard Days Night was filmed.

5 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

George Harrison had just turned 21 years old when Hard Days Night was filmed.

Ivor Davis (a journalist that toured with the Beatles in '64) is quoted as saying "We knew that when girls were ushered into meet The Beatles, they didn’t ask for their birth certificates. But as Paul said, “We were aware of underage girls hanging around, but there were lots of over-age girls – and this was at the start of birth control pills. And we were healthy young lads.” With, of course, lively libidos."

Edited by lichtgilphead

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think a lot of this behaviour was tied into the 1960s/70s free love, hippie type thinking, personal freedom, who are we to judge etc. Often that sort of attitude provided an excuse for men to treat women very poorly.

There also was probably naïveté about the impact on the girls from what happened to them - kind of like the South Park episode where an attractive female teacher has sex with a male student and people just want to high five him. The attitude of “they get to have sex with Bowie/Jagger et Al, what’s the problem?” was probably widespread.

People also thought differently about age gap relationships in the past as well, I don’t think it was quite as taboo as it is now. People did know it was wrong though - there was big controversy about Wyman marrying Mandy Smith, although he was never charged when he really should have been.

Homophobia might be a factor in this but I also think that the opposite is true- if Schofield had cheated on his wife with a teenage girl who he’d known since she was a child he wouldn’t have lasted five minutes in the job let alone a few years. Having said that I remember in the late 1990s the show Queer As Folk was the first major gay themed drama produced in British TV and it began with an extremely explicit sex scene between an underage boy and a 30 year old man. This relationship was portrayed throughout the series as basically positive for the 15 year old. Age gap relationships are spoken of in a fairly positive manner as well - one character fondly recollects having sex with a school teacher and the fact that other older men openly lust after the teenager is portrayed as a joke. I don’t think that could be made now so maybe the change in attitudes to age gaps also applies to same sex relationships.

giphy (6).gif

32 minutes ago, Rugster said:

The BBC have actually got a "Live" reporting section covering This Morning today. FFS.

Diverting the flak they got about their inaction over Jimmy Savile.

I saw a tweet pointing out that three times as many people watch Countryfile as This Morning - it's hardly some integral part of the nations schedule.  I think that it's had such a lot of coverage because a lot of people are aware of it as show and PHilip Schofield is very well known, probably one of the most famous TV presenters there are in the UK.

It's also well known as clips from it go viral and get coverage that way.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Bring back the days when you just had schools programmes on in the morning 

No trouble and the unemployed and hungover students learned something 

Duncan the Dragon was OFTW IMO...

6b60a895cd8fd265c97e844db990e89d.jpg

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Bring back the days when you just had schools programmes on in the morning 

No trouble and the unemployed and hungover students learned something 

I remember watching Rainbow at lunchtime in the Aberdeen University Union in 1973.

20 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I saw a tweet pointing out that three times as many people watch Countryfile as This Morning - it's hardly some integral part of the nations schedule.  I think that it's had such a lot of coverage because a lot of people are aware of it as show and PHilip Schofield is very well known, probably one of the most famous TV presenters there are in the UK.

It's also well known as clips from it go viral and get coverage that way.

All I knew it for was Holly and Phil sneering, patronising and being nasty to guests.

10 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

A ‘bombshell’ interview with Eamonn Holmes coming on GB News, what a country.

I like that Holmes jumping on the anti-Schofield bandwagon has only resulted in just about about everyone commenting on what a dislikeable bellend Holmes is.