2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

No relegation this season due to there being no licensed champions from tier 6 .

Strathy Jags breathe again,Lochee United will undoubtedly spend thru the summer in an effort to be promoted this time next season. 

Rumours that Dyce Fc of the NRJFA Premier are pursuing a licence. 

Strathy are getting some investment over the summer I'm hearing, guys from some local firms are wanting involved with the club. So I expect them to be a bit more competitive next season.

36 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

No relegation this season due to there being no licensed champions from tier 6 .

Strathy Jags breathe again,Lochee United will undoubtedly spend thru the summer in an effort to be promoted this time next season. 

Rumours that Dyce Fc of the NRJFA Premier are pursuing a licence. 

Yeah Dyce were putting in lights for the purpose of going for a licence, whether they are in a position to be in line for a licence at the end of next season, remains to be seen

25 minutes ago, kevsmart said:

Yeah Dyce were putting in lights for the purpose of going for a licence, whether they are in a position to be in line for a licence at the end of next season, remains to be seen

Dyce have had lights since at least October 2022. The only cover they had when I was last there in January last year was a wee area in front of the pavilion, I don't think they've added any since.

18 hours ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Seperate Highland League forum,from the North Pyramid one, required P&B !!!!!

I like having all of North football in one place personally, each to their own though..

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I like having all of North football in one place personally, each to their own though..

Hi WB,a feel it's disrespectful to northern football .

Yeah hav all the tier 6 and below in one place but the Highland League should have its own seperate box.

When P&B rehashed the forums,they said that if the HL chat got busier they would do what I've just mentioned. 

TBF at the beginning it was quiet,but since Brechin dropped down,the interest level in the thread has shot up.

Edited by Dav nan Gael

31 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Yeah hav all the tier 6 and below in one place but the Highland League should have its own seperate box.

When P&B rehashed the forums,they said that if the HL chat got busier they would do what I've just mentioned. 

TBF at the beginning it was quiet,but since Brechin dropped down,the interest level in the thread has shot up.

IMO there's not enough traffic to keep it feeling sufficiently active. One of the main reasons for that is there's another very active and longstanding forum for northern football. There's only a quarter of the number of posts here as in the LL forum, and a third of the WoS and EoS forums, and only 14 threads here that have seen a post in the past 5 months.

56 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

The Lowland League and below forums have over ten times the number of posts as the north forum. If you gave the Highland League its own forum then the remnants would have about six threads with maybe ten posts a week between @GNU_Linux and @Marten with the odd other. Hardly worth it. Buckie are favourites to win the league and I don't think I've seen a single post from a Buckie fan these last few weeks.

I don't think it's disrespectful at all, it just makes sense, sad as that may be.

That last post was a bit negative, so I'll share something that really cheered me up this week.

We had a bunch of students at my work the last few days and I asked one of them I'd never spoken to before what he'd got up to the previous night.

"Not much, just went to the pub and watched the football."
"What football was on? Not Buckie vs Strathspey?"
"I wish! Nah, it was Chelsea. The Buckie game was pay per view, but I went to the pub instead in the end."

This was a young gentleman who supports St Johnstone, but now living in Aberdeen has taken a keen interest in all things lower league Grampian. It was really heartening to know there are young folk who, like me and those of you reading this, appreciate Scottish football from top to bottom. Great to be in the lowlands yet be able to chat to someone about the Highland League at length.

A Buckie fan is telling me fans had an “open vote” about promotion to the SPFL and apparently they don’t want it. Not sure where the club stands on this. He’s complaining about the prospect of long journeys to away games and “mediocrity” in the SPFL. Sounds like he wants to support a big fish in a relatively small pond. Personally I can’t abide this weird mentality. 

38 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

A Buckie fan is telling me fans had an “open vote” about promotion to the SPFL and apparently they don’t want it. Not sure where the club stands on this. He’s complaining about the prospect of long journeys to away games and “mediocrity” in the SPFL. Sounds like he wants to support a big fish in a relatively small pond. Personally I can’t abide this weird mentality. 

I heard the similar from a Director, his main gripe was that he heard from a Cove blazer that the hospitality offered to visiting officials in the SPFL was inferior to that of Highland League clubs. This was last season, he could be in a minority and I've heard that attitudes may have changed. 

40 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Supporting a big fish in a small pond has its own appeal. Let's be honest, it's half the appeal of the OF.

In this context, you see your team win more matches and trophies, and in contention for others. You'll almost never spend season after season grimly battling relegation and rarely seeing your team win or even score. You don't lose your Saturdays to travel, at a substantial cost too. You don't play the same teams 4 times a season. You don't pay higher ticket prices.

The appeal of non-league football is that it's not like the higher levels. 

45 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The fans hate the idea of nae gettin’ hame in time fir wir supper. 

The club, however, is well aware of the money involved and, like Brechin, needs promotion quickly. 

18 hours ago, GordonS said:

IMO there's not enough traffic to keep it feeling sufficiently active. One of the main reasons for that is there's another very active and longstanding forum for northern football. There's only a quarter of the number of posts here as in the LL forum, and a third of the WoS and EoS forums, and only 14 threads here that have seen a post in the past 5 months.

You’re allowed to refer to FitbaNorth by name, cov. :lol:

Edited by Jimmy Shaker