Who will be the next Celtic manager?

The next Celtic manager  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seeing on twitter quite a few Celtic fans now warming to the idea of Rodgers and interestingly a few touting Kevin Muscat as a replacement despite his obvious links to Rangers due to him effectively following Anges footsteps and building on what he started. 

Sky Sports reporting Moyes now expected to stay at West Ham. 

Whoever the next manager is will inherit the strongest position of any newly appointed Celtic manager in decades. A cohort of strong first team starters in CCV, AJ, McGregor, Hatate, Jota and Kyogo as well as other strong squad players, all tied down to reasonably long contracts. We're in a strong financial position to strengthen where we need to, CL football on the horizon and a massive season ticket waiting list. 

Rodgers makes sense. He did what he did, but he is proven at the highest level and he is the one they fear. Maresca is more of a gamble, arguably one we don't need to take given how appealing the job should be right now. No matter what we do, I'm looking forward to the summer ahead and next season. 

Edited by GeorgiosSamaras

Was Rodgers not an utter failure in Europe?

Celtic should be looking at trying to make a mark there, rather than trying to hire someone to merely keep them ahead of Rangers. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Celtic should be looking at trying to make a mark there, rather than trying to hire someone to merely keep them ahead of Rangers. 

His attempts were better than Ange's were they not? Or was it just equal failure?

We got really lucky with Ange. It was a great to have someone we could buy into as a person and it created an incredible buzz around the club. It would be nice if that could continue with the next manager, but to be honest, I'll settle for someone who will win - I don't have to particularly love him. That is the appeal with Rodgers, he's shown he can have success here and he's a top coach. That he'll go when a new opportunity down south comes up is something I've already accepted. If I'm honest though, I think if he was going to be the next manager he would already be appointed. I think the club will go for Maresca or something similar, which I've reservations about but will embrace should it happen. 

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He qualified for the group stages twice and got us European football after Christmas twice, taking some doings off top teams along the way. Not a stunning record, but not the worst by our recent standards in all honesty. 

I think you are right though. Target has to be European progress and by building a team capable of that we should be able to take care of Rangers. Knutsen and some of the other names mentioned have done well in Europe (including against us), and I'd be very open to giving them a chance. On paper though, I think Rodgers is the strongest candidate to take us forward in Europe. Would have been very interesting to see if Ange could have turned some good CL performances into points this season. Him going is a big  set back, although I guess on paper if we end up with someone like Maresca there should be continuity in terms of how we set up and approach games tactically, but it is a lot to ask of a relative rookie manager. Moyes has obviously done great with West Ham and he's a good manager, perhaps his style would get us more results in Europe, but I don't want to pay the best part of a grand to see us sit in, lump balls forward and try to bore teams to death. Not convinced we could even make that work without tearing apart the squad and starting again. 

14 minutes ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

We got really lucky with Ange. It was a great to have someone we could buy into as a person and it created an incredible buzz around the club. It would be nice if that could continue with the next manager, but to be honest, I'll settle for someone who will win - I don't have to particularly love him. That is the appeal with Rodgers, he's shown he can have success here and he's a top coach. That he'll go when a new opportunity down south comes up is something I've already accepted. If I'm honest though, I think if he was going to be the next manager he would already be appointed. I think the club will go for Maresca or something similar, which I've reservations about but will embrace should it happen. 

He qualified for the group stages twice and got us European football after Christmas twice, taking some doings off top teams along the way. Not a stunning record, but not the worst by our recent standards in all honesty. 

I think you are right though. Target has to be European progress and by building a team capable of that we should be able to take care of Rangers. Knutsen and some of the other names mentioned have done well in Europe (including against us), and I'd be very open to giving them a chance. On paper though, I think Rodgers is the strongest candidate to take us forward in Europe. Would have been very interesting to see if Ange could have turned some good CL performances into points this season. Him going is a big  set back, although I guess on paper if we end up with someone like Maresca there should be continuity in terms of how we set up and approach games tactically, but it is a lot to ask of a relative rookie manager. Moyes has obviously done great with West Ham and he's a good manager, perhaps his style would get us more results in Europe, but I don't want to pay the best part of a grand to see us sit in, lump balls forward and try to bore teams to death. Not convinced we could even make that work without tearing apart the squad and starting again. 

Having it so easy domestically has made you a bit detached from reality, if you think you can go toe to toe with much bigger and better teams in Europe, that have billionaire owners and massive playing budgets,  dwarfing Celtic's.

21 hours ago, Molotov said:

So according to you Fergie was just a chequebook manager.  🤪

Deary me. 

I clearly said I was not comparing the two managers or situations. 

Even you could win the treble with Celtic such is the financial gulf. 

Would you turn down the chance to manage Spurs?

21 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

This notion that anyone can rock up to Celtic and win a treble because of the financial advantage is an utter fallacy 

Lennon proved even a crap manager could win a treble with Celtic. 

20 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Lennon won f**k all 2 yrs ago

He still won a treble for them in 2019/20 season, so he qualifies as anyone could win a treble with Celtic.

17 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Then explain Neil Lennon failing to win a single trophy in 20/21 nevermind a treble. I’m sure Neil Lennon still qualifies as anyone

Well he did manage to get the treble for a quadruple treble, but a combination of Gerrard's The Rangers finally being competitive, and the mighty St Johnstone brushing aside all comers in the cups was a bit of an unforeseen anomaly that season.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Having it so easy domestically has made you a bit detached from reality, if you think you can go toe to toe with much bigger and better teams in Europe, that have billionaire owners and massive playing budgets,  dwarfing Celtic's.

A bigger budget have nothing to do with it remember. Winning trophies is about commitment and just wanting it more.

9 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We could potentially sneak the odd win here and there if we sat behind the ball and launched it up the park at a target man but what is the point? For every time that works ten times better teams will find a way through a low block.  Bodo-Glimt, a club a fraction of our size with a significantly smaller budget beat us playing nice football and not parking the bus. No reason we can't aspire to do it to richer teams from bigger leagues. We can hardly go on about playing football a certain way if we only do it against teams who are weaker than us.

20 hours ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

Rodgers makes sense. He did what he did, but he is proven at the highest level and he is the one they fear. Maresca is more of a gamble, arguably one we don't need to take given how appealing the job should be right now. No matter what we do, I'm looking forward to the summer ahead and next season. 

Do you mean a proven failure at the highest level ? He got get sacked from his last 2 jobs at the highest level for under performing.

What teams at the highest level ‘fear’ Brendan Rodgers ? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Do you mean a proven failure at the highest level ? He got get sacked from his last 2 jobs at the highest level for under performing.

What teams at the highest level ‘fear’ Brendan Rodgers ? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

FA Cup win and two 5th place EPL finishes is not failure. 

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting Falkirk fear Brendan.

13 minutes ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

FA Cup win and two 5th place EPL finishes is not failure. 

Don't worry, I wasn't suggesting Falkirk fear Brendan.

Yes but ultimately he failed at Liverpool and Leicester hence why he was sacked.

I was being serious - what clubs at the top level fear him ? Just interested to know your thoughts.

21 hours ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

Whoever the next manager is will inherit the strongest position of any newly appointed Celtic manager in decades. A cohort of strong first team starters in CCV, AJ, McGregor, Hatate, Jota and Kyogo as well as other strong squad players, all tied down to reasonably long contracts. We're in a strong financial position to strengthen where we need to, CL football on the horizon and a massive season ticket waiting list. 

I think that Celtic fans may well be disappointed when they discover that more than half their players are only there because of Big Ange. Celtic will find out shortly that they will have a load of unhappy players who will be looking to move on. 

9 hours ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

We could potentially sneak the odd win here and there if we sat behind the ball and launched it up the park at a target man

9 hours ago, GeorgiosSamaras said:

what is the point?

Surely your first sentence is the point?

It feels as though you’re turning your nose up at playing effective football just because of the style.

Edited by AJF

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

It feels as though you’re turning your nose up at playing effective football just because of the style.

It would be fine if their 'style' had any substance to it. The Bodo games - from what I remember - Celtic had the vast majority of the ball and Bodo just picked them off. Again, that's defensive frailty. Bodo weren't some low budget swashbuckling side. 

The climb down from that particular poster on Brendan Rodgers - in the space of a week - is fucking hilarious too.

Edited by Derry Alli