Gordon McQueen

I imagine this will be another black mark against heading in football. Having such aggressive dementia at that age is quite uncommon and will surely have been at least exacerbated by frequent headers if not outright caused by it.

Before my time, but with his energetic play and bouffant hairstyle he seemed to be a bit of a cult hero. Sad loss.

32 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

Certainly I think there will be a lot of CTE in football but dementia is also pretty common at that age.  

It really isn't. Certainly not to that degree too. I worked in elderly care for a decade and the dementia stat was 10% for over 90's back in the late noughties. 

I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg. It's only definitively diagnosable post mortem, with tissue samples, so we're not going to see too many of these cases until people die.

CTE impact is common sense, but is only definitive when people die as tissue samples are the only way to determine if CTE is present.

4 hours ago, NickMcG said:

Certainly I think there will be a lot of CTE in football but dementia is also pretty common at that age.  

Former footballers are over three times more likely do develop brain diseases than non players.

A sad day and an even sadder demise. One of my original heroes in dark blue ☹️

0_BT-Sport-Football-pic-circa-1980-Inter

2 hours ago, NickMcG said:

Fair enough, I guess it depends what you classify as 'common'. I think it's something like 1-2% over 65 and I'd  bet it's underdiagnosed.  It was more just a reflection on players like Bobby Charlton etc getting dementia and it being instantly linked to heading whereas it's not so rare that non-sportspeople don't get it.  And Gordon McQueen had vascular dementia so I don't know if that can be linked to heading.  It wouldn't surprise me if heading was eventually banned in football though it would become a very different sport.

The real problem is rugby especially considering the size and power of players these days.  Contact sport also increases the risk of MND.

To anyone who's ever had a family member with dementia, the person you knew dies long before the physical death.

Aye 1-2% wouldn't be anyone's definition of common, but you're right that people (as I did) will instantly link dementia in footballers to heading. 

I do think that, with baby-boomer footballers living longer we may start to see them over represented in the dementia stats, which would probably lead to heading being banned at least at youth level. It would be interesting to see how football evolves then.