Third Division 23/24

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Fantastic run Lanark are on. I wonder if the success of the management team will make other clubs look at the amateur ranks for options in the future?

Don’t think there will be many that could come across and do what Lanark have done.

Going to be a very exciting end to the season. We've essentially got 5 cup finals to play between now and mid May. I'd say if we can take 12 points we'll be in with a great shout of promotion, but that will be no easy task with a lot of tough games still to play. 

5 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Fantastic run Lanark are on. I wonder if the success of the management team will make other clubs look at the amateur ranks for options in the future?

Well, Kennedy did it at Darvel.

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Going to be a very exciting end to the season. We've essentially got 5 cup finals to play between now and mid May. I'd say if we can take 12 points we'll be in with a great shout of promotion, but that will be no easy task with a lot of tough games still to play. 

IF, and I do stress IF, we beat Ardeer, Dalry and West Park, all away in the next three games I think we would be mathematically promoted, given that some of the other promotion contenders have to play each other before the month end.

42 minutes ago, bc57 said:

IF, and I do stress IF, we beat Ardeer, Dalry and West Park, all away in the next three games I think we would be mathematically promoted, given that some of the other promotion contenders have to play each other before the month end.

Think the hardest game out of the 3 will be Dalry, don't think Ardeer have anything to offer a sim sure they are safe and will just plod along, the West park game, I think they are better technically than Lanark, especially on the astro but no experience and not hard enough in a battle so I think Lanark will deffo take 6 points out of 9, the Dalry game, I'm not so sure, they are strong but have been up and down all season

16 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Think the hardest game out of the 3 will be Dalry, don't think Ardeer have anything to offer a sim sure they are safe and will just plod along, the West park game, I think they are better technically than Lanark, especially on the astro but no experience and not hard enough in a battle so I think Lanark will deffo take 6 points out of 9, the Dalry game, I'm not so sure, they are strong but have been up and down all season

Time will tell.

We've won 3 of our 4 away games on plastic this season, losing only to Threave.  We may end up playing Dairy on plastic if they fall too far behind with postponments.

I thought Kilsyth were. nice footballing team on their own ground, just lacking an end product.  

22 hours ago, TM1947 said:

Don’t think there will be many that could come across and do what Lanark have done.

Standard of the top amateur teams like Lesmahagow AFC were are similar to Division 3 and certainly better than Division 4.

Whether a full team plus management would move en-masse to a club is a different question.

2 hours ago, bc57 said:

Time will tell.

We've won 3 of our 4 away games on plastic this season, losing only to Threave.  We may end up playing Dairy on plastic if they fall too far behind with postponments.

I thought Kilsyth were. nice footballing team on their own ground, just lacking an end product.  

Threave is grass is it not?

45 minutes ago, lokforever said:

Yes and a very nice example of this type of surface, except when the meadow behind the chip shop stand floods, then it becomes a subterranean river.

When the pitch is unplayable games have been moved to the NWCC behind McDonald's in Dumfries. A couple recently Port and Finnart if memory serves.

20 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I got a good laugh at this one, West Park are technically better than Lanark. The rest of us must be total 💩

On 08/04/2024 at 14:17, Craig fae the Vale said:

If you take 12 points your up. Massive game for you against Threave because if they get beat there season is over. Personally I think it’s going to come down to Vale v The Gow winner takes 3rd spot. I’m confident the Gow could do it.

Finnart are in the same position as threave get beat at Bellshill it’s all over for another season.

3 hours ago, Basile Boli said:

Standard of the top amateur teams like Lesmahagow AFC were are similar to Division 3 and certainly better than Division 4.

Whether a full team plus management would move en-masse to a club is a different question.

The Lesmahagow > Lanark & Royal Albert suited perfectly geographically, and came at the right time for all involved. I don't know if there's many top amateur sides now who would find themselves in as convenient a position.

As you say, the top amateur teams could and would dismantle a lot of teams in the Third Division and Fourth Division. I've said it lots of times before, but the actual gap in quality isn't that vast.

On 08/04/2024 at 12:47, TM1947 said:

The Ashfield Gaffer came from Harestanes.

Kennedy at St Rochs from West Park.

Hopes at Drumchapel from Possil YM.

Obviously Mick at Darvel and now EK.

Daryl at Lanark.

They've all had differing levels of success but successful in their own right.

17 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

Daryl at Lanark.

Yes all done well. 

4 hours ago, TM1947 said:

I got a good laugh at this one, West Park are technically better than Lanark. The rest of us must be total 💩

I never said the rest of anyone else, I said Lanark
 If you think Larnark are at the top of the division due to the players technical ability then, fair doos to you 🥶
Just because a team is better, never mind believe to be better technically, doesn't mean they are going to win or be run well.
There's  a reason why West park are at the bottom and I told you my belief, the reasons why on the field.
Lanark are far more experienced than the majority of West park players and think most of West park players are about 19s/20s with a couple of older players
This is not taking in to account, the ability of the management, The coaching staff, the way its run etc... (with both teams)
I've seen West park 3 times, Lanark 3 times this season, the only two teams I haven't seen in Div 3 at all are Greenock and  Threave and I think most of West park players are better technically, just they are no street savy, not strong enough in the tackle and very weak generally.

As as I said, having Seen West Park, Dalry and Ardeer, I expect Lanark will comfortably take 6 points from the 9, they may take the 9 but I think the strongest challenge of those 9pts will come from Dalry.  Lolo, knowing my knowledge, Dalry will get pumped by Lanark and Ardeer and West Park will win

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

18 hours ago, lokforever said:

Of course it is! Was over 6 months ago.  Hence the reason I liked it so much - that and the food, despite the loss 

20 hours ago, TM1947 said:

If you take 12 points your up. Massive game for you against Threave because if they get beat there season is over. Personally I think it’s going to come down to Vale v The Gow winner takes 3rd spot. I’m confident the Gow could do it.

Finnart are in the same position as threave get beat at Bellshill it’s all over for another season.

We've got Threave, Gow, Lanark, Glasgow United and Dalry left. It's about the toughest run in possible. Got confidence in our boys that they can get the results required, but fully aware that it's going to go right down to the wire.

18 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

Daryl at Lanark.

I might be wrong, but did Josh from Rossvale not have involvement with AS Airdrie previously? I could be miles off with that.

Bailey Hanlon transitioning Kilsyth to the WoS another one of note.

Massive games today in the 3rd Divison for Threave & Finnart. If either of them get beat it’s curtains for promotion for another season leaving it a straight fight between The Gow, Vale, Bellshill & Lanark for the 3 promotion places. Although if Finnart win today I think they could go up they would have Kello away, Threave at home and the Vics away that’s achievable for 57 points tough too beat for 3rd place with everyone playing each other. 

3 minutes ago, TM1947 said:

Massive games today in the 3rd Divison for Threave & Finnart. If either of them get beat it’s curtains for promotion for another season leaving it a straight fight between The Gow, Vale, Bellshill & Lanark for the 3 promotion places. Although if Finnart win today I think they could go up they would have Kello away, Threave at home and the Vics away that’s achievable for 57 points tough too beat for 3rd place with everyone playing each other. 

It is a massive weekend; if both Finnart and Threave win that throws the cat amongst the pigeons. Looking at the fixture run in I did feel folk were too quick to write off both of them.

So many fixtures upcoming where teams play each other which will change the league placings dramatically.

Good competitive stuff at top and bottom of league.