First Divison 23/24

4 hours ago, funky monkey said:

Buffs home support is well down. The away support holds up well in terms of our peers in the league.

The away support is still good. Compared to a few years ago, Kilwinning, Kilbirnie and Meadow being replaced by Gartcairn, Drumchapel and St Cadocs in the top flight is a bit of a hit to the match day incomes of some clubs.  There must have been about 150-odd Kilwinning supporters at Hurlford at the tail end of last season for example, now replaced by approximately zero.

4 hours ago, energyzone said:

The away support is still good. Compared to a few years ago, Kilwinning, Kilbirnie and Meadow being replaced by Gartcairn, Drumchapel and St Cadocs in the top flight is a bit of a hit to the match day incomes of some clubs.  There must have been about 150-odd Kilwinning supporters at Hurlford at the tail end of last season for example, now replaced by approximately zero.

Very true. Sadly, some of these clubs aren't attracting any kind of numbers, some with next to no travelling support.

The Buffs may well be struggling at present, but opposition treasurers are still happy when we visit town.

Cambuslang drew 3-3 with Peasy, but even if they had won they would have been relegated anyway as Maybole had a shock 1-0 win at Drumchapel. 

Ashfield had come back from behind twice to lead 3-2 against Whitletts, but went 4-3 down before equalising late on. The draw means Ashfield can no longer go up and the final promotion spot is now between Shotts and Glencairn. 

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Cambuslang drew 3-3 with Peasy, but even if they had won they would have been relegated anyway as Maybole had a shock 1-0 win at Drumchapel. 

Ashfield had come back from behind twice to lead 3-2 against Whitletts, but went 4-3 down before equalising late on. The draw means Ashfield can no longer go up and the final promotion spot is now between Shotts and Glencairn. 

Sad night for cambuslang. Back to back relegations. They were punching when in the prem but it’s a massive blow going down again.

3 minutes ago, amnarab said:

Congratulations to Shotts Bon Accord on promotion 

Yes they deserve it and given their recent fixture schedule have done really well getting the points on the board to secure promotion.

Confirmed 1st division 

Ardrosson

Arthurlie

Ashfield

Blantyre

Cumbernauld Utd

Irvine Meadow

Kilwinning

Kilbirnie

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Maybole

Petershill

Renfrew

Rutherglen

St Rochs

Thorniewood

Vale of Clyde 

My personal awards for this season 

BEST MINCE PIE (transported in a car) - DRUMCHAPEL

BEST MINCE PIE (not transported in a car) - Rutherglen 

BEST CHICKEN CURRY PIE - SHOTTS

BEST STEAK PIE - RENFREW 

BEST MACARONI PIE - JOHNSTONE BURGH 

BEST AWAY GAME - MAYBOLE

BEST PRE MATCH MUSIC - ST ROCH'S 

BEST HOME SUPPORT - KILBIRNIE

BEST SEATING and best u20's- KILWINNING 

BEST WELCOMING - BLANTYRE VICS

BEST TRACTOR - NEILSTON 

Apologies to Clubs not mentioned for not being able to visit your grounds

Also, I think having payment by card facilities will greatly benefit Clubs income. Paying any cash at gate means supporters have less money to spend at kiosk and bar.

Posted (edited)

All over, and I don't even think there'll be much shouting in the remaining games. I'll be celebrating the last home game in Corfu on Saturday, so St Rochs will be my swansong for the season. We'll be leaving a great division, given the teams coming down, but looking forward to a few big games next season. It was tough to be best of the rest and I think finances played a big part in the places as they stand now. Second would be good, but no big deal.

Well done everybody.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

9 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

All over, and I don't even think there'll be much shouting in the remaining games. I'll be celebrating the last home game in Corfu on Saturday, so St Rochs will be my swansong for the season. We'll be leaving a great division, given the teams coming down, but looking forward to a few big games next season. It was tough to be best of the rest and I think finances played a big part in the places as they stand now. Second would be good, but no big deal.

Well done everybody.

Yes next years division will be very difficult to get out of even more than than this years in my opinion

On 11/05/2024 at 19:37, .Stuart. said:

Confirmed 1st division 

Ardrosson

Arthurlie

Ashfield

Blantyre

Cumbernauld Utd

Irvine Meadow

Kilwinning

Kilbirnie

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

Maybole

Petershill

Renfrew

Rutherglen

St Rochs

Thorniewood

Vale of Clyde 

That's some league there. Good luck to you all.

2 hours ago, Mine Man said:

Yes next years division will be very difficult to get out of even more than than this years in my opinion

The three teams coming up from Division Two will be looking to challenge at the top again, they'll need to strengthen of course but I expect them to do that. The three teams coming down from the Premier will be under pressure from their support to challenge for promotion straight back up, but (as I've mentioned before) none of last year's relegated teams from the Premier have made it back up this year, and one of them has suffered another relegation.

It'll be interesting to see who is in the mix this time next year. If we can hang onto the players we want to keep in our squad and add a few reinforcements, then I hope we will be challenging again. Ashfield will be an unknown quantity at the moment given their change of managerial situation. Petershill will be expected to be up there again, and you only need to read the Kilwinning thread to see their expectations as well. Blantyre are always a tough nut to crack and were up near the top for most of the season despite having a negative goal difference for most of the time. I know from having spoken to him that David Gormley has high hopes for his Thorniewood side next season as well, and Kilbirnie Ladeside are a big club who will have demands placed on them by their supporters.

So you're probably correct, it'll be another crazy mad cut-throat league next season.

Posted (edited)

Shotts 0 St Rochs 0. It's  been as good as it reads. Bonny Ultras stealing a Palestinian flag has provided any entertainment there's  been.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

The flag and it's owner have been re-united after a short chase. Shotts won 2-0. Candy sub keeper got sent off with a few minutes to go, but the resultant penalty nearly cleared the club, never mind the bar. Second half was better than the first and there was a decent travelling support given their was nothing at stake.