Titanic II

24 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

The mass media hysteria continues but this "intrepid explorers" stuff can get in the, erm, can be stopped right now. As far as I know it wasn't a research trip or information gathering, just something that could be done due to them being so rich. It's not as if they crossed the Andes by frog.

They were no more explorers than the passengers on the PS Waverley.

12 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

The mass media hysteria continues but this "intrepid explorers" stuff can get in the, erm, can be stopped right now. As far as I know it wasn't a research trip or information gathering, just something that could be done due to them being so rich. It's not as if they crossed the Andes by frog.

How much do you think we could charge people for that experience?

I see a lot of folk comparing the reaction to this with the reaction to the migrant boat sinking, as well as folk shaming others because they are laughing at people dying on this thing, but the lot of them can go and get fucked.

People don’t want to talk about the migrant boat sinking because there is nothing but shame on humanity in it. We are laughing at the other because of how fucking obviously ridiculous the whole thing is. Laughing at it does not equal a lack of empathy for those involved(Well, the young boy who by reports was bullied into the fucker by has da at least). If you don’t understand that, you are the idiot. 

17 minutes ago, throbber said:

Seems strange anyway. Also hearing that the navy detection system heard the implosion days ago. 

You'd hope they would have told the families that the chances were low instead of leaving them to think of them trapped at the bottom of the ocean with the air running out.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

How much do you think we could charge people for that experience?

I see a lot of folk comparing the reaction to this with the reaction to the migrant boat sinking, as well as folk shaming others because they are laughing at people dying on this thing, but the lot of them can go and get fucked.

People don’t want to talk about the migrant boat sinking because there is nothing but shame on humanity in it. We are laughing at the other because of how fucking obviously ridiculous the whole thing is. Laughing at it does not equal a lack of empathy for those involved(Well, the young boy who by reports was bullied into the fucker by has da at least). If you don’t understand that, you are the idiot. 

It's the drama of people being trapped alive with the air running out and loads of people trying to work out a way of saving them, like the Thai football team. Drowning at sea hasn't got the same Hollywood plotline, and it happens so often empathy dissipates.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's the drama of people being trapped alive with the air running out and loads of people trying to work out a way of saving them, like the Thai football team. Drowning at sea hasn't got the same Hollywood plotline, and it happens so often empathy dissipates.

There’s an element of that as well, absolutely. Much easier to sell the ongoing drama to a TV audience when the alternative story is already at the final result.

I note Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg are considering a cage fight, surely it could be arranged onboard a submersible near what must now be considered an iconic site.

Obviously hoping nothing will go wrong...

2 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

Nailed it with this post. I was thinking the exact same thing. In a week where, just as an example, Graeme Souness, a man who underwent triple heart bypass surgery, and the same age as our ‘intrepid’ billionaire submarine chap - swam the English Channel in aid of a wee lassie and others who are suffering.

That showed guts, determination and baws… not paying a quarter of a million quid to sit on your arse in a tin can and be taken down to look at a wreck. Christ, the videos made show the thing in magnificent 4k definition - just watch a video. Yes, it’s fascinating, yes the Titanic is legendary, but you weren’t going to don a wetsuit and touch the thing. Just watch a video cunto.…. just an uber-rich daftie who wanted this badge for the sleeve of his  ‘look at what I’ve done’ jaiket’… IMHO.

Souness - fair play, I couldn’t do it, no chance.

Rich daftie - I could do it, if I had a spare 250k. Intrepid explorer my arse.

Edited by pozbaird

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

After debris found near to the Titanic was confirmed to be that of the missing submersible,  OceanGate say they are now offering tours of the wreckage at a reduced rate of just $150,000 per person.

Given that there have been 14 successful trips to date, Oceangate could say "93% of our customers rated us as good or excellent", which one has to admit is pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Given that there have been 14 successful trips to date, Oceangate could say "93% of our customers rated us as good or excellent", which one has to admit is pretty good.

I am fairly sure this is one of those moments that really proves the logic of a cliche.

In this case, that "you are only as good as your last f**k up"

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Wouldn't that make it 100%? An immaculate record.

On the lack of sympathy issue - These billionaires have wealth beyond the dreams of avarice. They could have used it to save dozens, if not hundreds, maybe thousands of people's lives without the slightest inconvenience themselves. There are countless ways in which they could've made the world a better place, even if it was just making daily life pleasanter for the employees who created their wealth. Instead, they spent it on their own needless and trivial wants. Much like Michael Jackson spending millions on funfairs that only he could use, these twats were selfishness and greed personified.

I'm with the 'Counterpoint' guy from Airplane quoted upthread. f**k 'em. 

5 hours ago, throbber said:

Seems strange anyway. Also hearing that the navy detection system heard the implosion days ago. 

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You'd hope they would have told the families that the chances were low instead of leaving them to think of them trapped at the bottom of the ocean with the air running out.

That’s the problem. Your sonar net detects what appears to be sounds in the vicinity of where a subs going missing, but it takes time to analyze the sound(s), more time to triangulate them, and I doubt anyone has/had a record what a implosion of a reinforced carbon-fibre chamber sounds like to compare it to. The word was they advised the Coast Guard, no word on what the Coasties did with it.

Given them a week or two, and plenty of computer time, and they’ll likely be able to pinpoint the depth and location of the sound that is assumed to be hull failure. I would expect the sounds recorded to be of high enough quality to tell a lot about what happened, IF the USN allow the audio to be released/analyzed…but that might reveal too much about their anti-sub capacities.