Titanic II

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Actually I just remembered I saw a bit off the Titanic (wood panel) at the V&A in Dundee when it opened. 

I think it cost me £12. 

That's quite a fair price, did you turn it into a name plate for your house? 

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

At the press conference somebody asked about recovering the bodies.

Would there actually be bodies or would they just be obliterated by the water pressure?

marjorie-dawes-ea5ec992-5c19-406d-a700-a6e8427207c-resize-750.jpg

There was some American at the press conference repeatedly shouting questions about recovery of the bodies, not sure if the families would appreciate being handed a bucket of goo and random bone fragments, Davy Jones's locker seems the most appropriate resting place in the circumstances if Mrs Vardy doesn't object.

6 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Would there actually be bodies or would they just be obliterated by the water pressure?

The water pressure at surface is 14 pounds per square inch which the body can handle okay but that doubles every 10 meters you go down so at those sorts of depths it’s ridiculous pressures which I would assume would turn a person into dust.

33 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Is that the Dolphin one? I was reading about that earlier

32 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah! Couldn't remember the name or specific details of it, just that it was an extemely violent but mercifully quick horror show.

Had a read there. Was actually 5 that died and one severely injured. The guy at the point of the implosion was basically turned into something from a Tarantino film.

I've been on the Byford Dolphin quite a few times, shite hole of the highest order.

Kinda hoping it did implode, because much as I despise these billionaire b*****ds, the thought of sitting down there for days, hoping rescue will come, and it doesn't, is my worst nightmare.

10 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Long story short.

If they were close to the breach, they'd be instant mince.

If they were a bit further back, their bodies would have instantly pulled their fat into their arteries and any blood that didn't pull out of them would have instantly boiled in the veins.

So aye, they're chum basically.

The details of the previously mentioned Dolphin Bell incident:

Screenshot_20230622_204315_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5f6bdbdcb4981480bb73adb86fe72057.jpg

5 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Kinda hoping it did implode, because much as I despise these billionaire b*****ds, the thought of sitting down there for days, hoping rescue will come, and it doesn't, is my worst nightmare.

Especially for the guy who took his 19yo son down there. The knowledge of what was happening to both yourself and him would've been horrific.

41 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

I saw the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor in Las Vegas.

You get handed a wee card with someones name on it.  Then go through the exhibit and see various recreations of areas of the ship and a giant iceburg.  Then get to see "artifacts" recovered from the wreck site.  Those "artifacts" are totally not grave robbing ghouls.  The info cards say so.  Also you get to see a massive chunk of the hull the dragged up from the bottom of the ocean and stuck in the Nevada desert for you to gawp at.

Then at the end you get to see if the person whos card you got lived or died.  Mines died.  Was a perfume salesman or something.

Sounds worse then being on the actual Titanic.

How many times was i in the same street as the 19 year old?

Probably looked like any other daft young student in Cathedral St.

If only his old man had been an ordinary Joe rather than a complete billionaire crank with the intelligence level of Moby Dick.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Especially for the guy who took his 19yo son down there. The knowledge of what was happening to both yourself and him would've been horrific.

Borderline murder on the father's part.

Might as well have jumped off Mount Everest with a parachute and hoped for the best.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Long story short.

If they were close to the breach, they'd be instant mince.

If they were a bit further back, their bodies would have instantly pulled their fat into their arteries and any blood that didn't pull out of them would have instantly boiled in the veins.

So aye, they're chum basically.

The details of the previously mentioned Dolphin Bell incident:

Screenshot_20230622_204315_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5f6bdbdcb4981480bb73adb86fe72057.jpg

Yeah..... Its almost too much pressure to comprehend, but all of these various helpful info graphics explaining that it's like having an empire state building on top of you should help. 

If you're wondering if there would be a body to recover, imagine what would be left if someone dropped an empire state building on you, but from all sides at the same time.....

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Yeah..... Its almost too much pressure to comprehend, but all of these various helpful info graphics explaining that it's like having an empire state building on top of you should help. 

If you're wondering if there would be a body to recover, imagine what would be left if someone dropped an empire state building on you, but from all sides at the same time.....

There's a reason most of the bodies beneath a certain floor on 9/11 never even had traces of bone found.

13 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

How many times was i in the same street as the 19 year old?

Probably looked like any other daft young student in Cathedral St.

Could’ve been you down there.