Titanic II

2 hours ago, throbber said:

I saw a coastguard guy saying they didn’t know what the sound was but people were reporting that they were making banging noises every half hour - who reported this because I never saw it anywhere?

Seems to have originated in Rolling Stone, and they're claiming that it comes from internal Department of Homeland Security emails.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of sympathy for these c***s, eh no?

Not a lot, due to the reason they perished. Paying quarter-of-a-million quid to do what? Gawp at a wreck through a windae’? I am genuinely sorry that people died, but it’s very much a ‘nae luck’ vibe I’m detecting overall on the good ship P&B*

*Thoroughly certified to a depth of 2 feet after Div’s maintenance on Monday.

The mass media hysteria continues but this "intrepid explorers" stuff can get in the, erm, can be stopped right now. As far as I know it wasn't a research trip or information gathering, just something that could be done due to them being so rich. It's not as if they crossed the Andes by frog.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Seems to have originated in Rolling Stone, and they're claiming that it comes from internal Department of Homeland Security emails.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

Seems strange anyway. Also hearing that the navy detection system heard the implosion days ago. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I was on a submarine at legoland only last summer. 

could have been me

Probably would have been just as effective as the sub they were in. 

24 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

The mass media hysteria continues but this "intrepid explorers" stuff can get in the, erm, can be stopped right now. As far as I know it wasn't a research trip or information gathering, just something that could be done due to them being so rich. It's not as if they crossed the Andes by frog.

They were no more explorers than the passengers on the PS Waverley.

12 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

How much do you think we could charge people for that experience?

I see a lot of folk comparing the reaction to this with the reaction to the migrant boat sinking, as well as folk shaming others because they are laughing at people dying on this thing, but the lot of them can go and get fucked.

People don’t want to talk about the migrant boat sinking because there is nothing but shame on humanity in it. We are laughing at the other because of how fucking obviously ridiculous the whole thing is. Laughing at it does not equal a lack of empathy for those involved(Well, the young boy who by reports was bullied into the fucker by has da at least). If you don’t understand that, you are the idiot. 

17 minutes ago, throbber said:

Seems strange anyway. Also hearing that the navy detection system heard the implosion days ago. 

You'd hope they would have told the families that the chances were low instead of leaving them to think of them trapped at the bottom of the ocean with the air running out.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

How much do you think we could charge people for that experience?

I see a lot of folk comparing the reaction to this with the reaction to the migrant boat sinking, as well as folk shaming others because they are laughing at people dying on this thing, but the lot of them can go and get fucked.

People don’t want to talk about the migrant boat sinking because there is nothing but shame on humanity in it. We are laughing at the other because of how fucking obviously ridiculous the whole thing is. Laughing at it does not equal a lack of empathy for those involved(Well, the young boy who by reports was bullied into the fucker by has da at least). If you don’t understand that, you are the idiot. 

It's the drama of people being trapped alive with the air running out and loads of people trying to work out a way of saving them, like the Thai football team. Drowning at sea hasn't got the same Hollywood plotline, and it happens so often empathy dissipates.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's the drama of people being trapped alive with the air running out and loads of people trying to work out a way of saving them, like the Thai football team. Drowning at sea hasn't got the same Hollywood plotline, and it happens so often empathy dissipates.

There’s an element of that as well, absolutely. Much easier to sell the ongoing drama to a TV audience when the alternative story is already at the final result.