The Prehistory thread

I like the overlap between history and prehistory. We were still well in prehistory when the middle east and China had hundreds of years of recorded history. And America was prehistoric when the crusades were on. 

I like the fact that we'll probably never know what all the stuff they left was actually for. General consensus seems to be docking stations for flying saucers, but I'll keep an open mind. 

Edited by coprolite

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

History is all well and good but lets be honest, prehistory is far better.  Let's use this thread for all the prehistory chat.

Here is the site

sanct2.jpg

Damn clever chaps these pre history bods, what with their excavators and all.

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

Tried doing that in 2021 but it seemed totally closed off to the public with no plans to reopen.

When were you there?

Must have about 20 years ago, you went in on lying flat on a trolly so I can see how they might have run into health and safety difficulties, just checked their website and still closed but looking at options to repopen in future.

2 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Must have about 20 years ago, you went in on lying flat on a trolly so I can see how they might have run into health and safety difficulties, just checked their website and still closed but looking at options to repopen in future.

I was particularly scunnered because I cycled all the way there

Saw some killer whales later in the day so that made up for it&it was a nice cycle

1 minute ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Dinosaurs were on Earth for 165 million years.  Compared to humans that is one hell of an innings.

"After the tea break we have Spinosaurus at the wicket."

36 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Dinosaurs were on Earth for 165 million years.  Compared to humans that is one hell of an innings.

Just let this sink in:

EyWpFQUWUAIMPE9.thumb.jpg.30c0de61ced9150757c5f091733a3524.jpg

Eta: FWIW, there's an oil well in the North Sea that extracted a cored cylinder of rock (8" diameter) and found that they'd gone through a dinosaur's (sauropod, I think) leg whilst drilling.  Perfectly preserved cross section of a thigh bone with loads of original detail.  The odds of that happening are ridiculously low.

Edited by Hedgecutter

53 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just let this sink in:

EyWpFQUWUAIMPE9.thumb.jpg.30c0de61ced9150757c5f091733a3524.jpg

Eta: FWIW, there's an oil well in the North Sea that extracted a cored cylinder of rock (8" diameter) and found that they'd gone through a dinosaur's (sauropod, I think) leg whilst drilling.  Perfectly preserved cross section of a thigh bone with loads of original detail.  The odds of that happening are ridiculously low.

There are dinosaurs in space.  The impact of the asteroid that caused their extinction blew debris, including dinosaurs, into space.  They could have been preserved, floating through the ether.  Maybe a dinosaur corpse ended up on another planet, maybe another civilisation worships the remains as some sort of space god. 

Anyway.  A mummy was found in Peru a few days ago - the body hasn't been dated yet but it was buried tied up and surrounded by coca leaves.

The mummy was found in Lima, near the training ground of Sporting Cristal, one of the top Peruvian clubs.  You can see how close it was here.

Archaeologists find mummy surrounded by coca leaves on hilltop in Peru's capital

Why did they bind the remains?  The dig found traces of fly eggs in the remains, suggesting that the body had been exposed prior to being buried.  Are the coca leaves to be considered grave goods or were they part of the burial process?

17 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Homosapiens have been around for more than 200,000 years.     History records only go back about 5000 years.

There must have been some great stories from the first 195,000 years ......if only they had written them down !!     

Thankfully the P&B posters can fill in the gaps. 

Just go to Stranraer and you’ll get a good glimpse of life 195,000 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I don't think you'll run into one on the way to work.

Don't be so sure, I've heard OF fans have learned to open doors.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Pray for Wikipedia's servers right now, as the biggest village idiot in Texas prepares to offer us his 'expertise'.  

Looks like the weekend parole started early this week.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

It wasn’t the same ones for the whole time. Lots died.

Yep, the humans v dinosaurs comparison is completely spurious.  Dinosaurs were a huge group of animals, not just a single species (or genus, depending on your definition of 'human').  

A better comparison to dinosaurs is primates or even mammals, but that's doesn't sound as impressive.