#Barclays 23/24

:lol:

Old Trafford redevelopment: Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants 'national stadium in the north' - BBC Sport

New Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe says his "preference" is to build a new stadium for the club that can also "serve the north of England". United have played at the 74,310-capacity Old Trafford since 1910, but Ratcliffe acknowledged it had become "tired and in need of refurbishment". A new stadium could be built next to the existing ground in Trafford Park.

"It's about time someone built a national stadium in the north of England," said the British billionaire. Ratcliffe added the potential project could be a "catalyst for regeneration" in south Manchester and would therefore warrant a "conversation" with the government about using taxpayers' money.

Ratcliffe spoke about the potential for the new stadium to host England games and FA Cup semi-finals, both of which are played at Wembley in London, as well as the Champions League final. He said there was "significant bias in terms of major investments being in the south".

Ratcliffe said an "an arms-length taskforce" would be put together to look into the feasibility of a new stadium and that he had spoken to former United captain Gary Neville.

When asked if public funding would be used, he added: "I think, as part of a regeneration project, there has to be a conversation with the national government. "The north deserves some thought as well as the south, I think, if it is a national stadium."

It gets on my wick how people preach about levelling up then pump the money into Manchester. That place has gone though an unfathomable transformation over the past three decades. It is by a long disance England's closest resemblance to the capital in terms of sport/culture/economy/tourism.

Fvck building any more military scale shite there.

1 hour ago, southernrover said:

It gets on my wick how people preach about levelling up then pump the money into Manchester. That place has gone though an unfathomable transformation over the past three decades. It is by a long disance England's closest resemblance to the capital in terms of sport/culture/economy/tourism.

And  that’s particularly true for the bit around Salford Quays/Media City  

1 hour ago, southernrover said:

To be fair the IRA can take a lot of credit for kick starting the redevelopment. 

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

How much debt is there still to be serviced from the wembley rebuild?  There's not a chance anything that can take events away from there is getting funded

That was my thought as well. I'm a big fan of Manchester in general and have a preference for United over City, but I'd be asking questions if tax money was granted to United. The city has the Etihad and other facilities. I hope United succeed but I don't want to pay for it.

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

How much debt is there still to be serviced from the wembley rebuild?  There's not a chance anything that can take events away from there is getting funded

It was projected to be paid off this year, but then something happened in 2020 that hit profits. 

I had hoped that Ratcliffe was going to be successful in getting his shoes under the table. I always liked the cut of his jib. 

He can f**k right off though with any talk of state funding for a New Trafford. He can also f**k right off with any talk of Greenwood wearing the shirt again. And his three year aim is a nonsense as well. 

I think I’d rather have the Glazers being mute than Ratcliffe’s first official ramblings. 

Being a billionaire is just an acceptable and celebrated type of grifting. Their "talent" is convincing, or strong-arming, mugs to part with their cash. Using northern and civic pride to drum up support for something which is simply a money making opportunity for him is pretty clever tbf.