#Barclays 23/24

1 hour ago, SH Panda said:

Unbelievable from Andy Robertson

What a player he is by the way.

Best left back of the premier league era, possibly ever in English football.

This seems to have upset some people 😅

Can't think of a better one mind, assist wise he's already well out in front.

Criminally underrated by some it seems.

Just now, SH Panda said:

Robbo is sound and has been a fantastic buy for Liverpool.  I felt he looked like maybe the expectation of the last Euro finals was a big burden.  I am hoping he can relax and perform well in Germany.  He is far more likeable than the left-backs we can pick from.

4 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

He was loathsome, but Ashley Cole was consistently excellent too. Cant really be arsed doing a like for like stats comparison but gut would say theres not much in it between those two.

Bizarrely cant think of many elite left backs, nature of the position and/or my memory and/or not being overly arsed about elite football. Evra springs to mind, was a great player and all but dunno if hes better than Cole/Robertson.

1 minute ago, Red Kite said:

Robbo is sound and has been a fantastic buy for Liverpool.  I felt he looked like maybe the expectation of the last Euro finals was a big burden.  I am hoping he can relax and perform well in Germany.  He is far more likeable than the left-backs we can pick from.

No he isn’t. Taylor wins automatically got that tackle on Barton. 

Could see Liverpool doing a Man Utd tbh once Klopp finally leaves. Well, maybe not quite to that extreme, but that's Robertson, Salah, Van Dijk, Matip all into their 30s now. They'll be needing a succession plan for them, and their big money signings over the last few windows have not been brilliant, with the exception of MacAllister. Nunez, Konate, the Hungarian and Gravenberch have been OK at best. 

I didn’t watch all the game but it looked like a continuation from Thursday night with a pish atmosphere and a real lack of belief on the pitch from Liverpool. It looks like they are all exhausted and are throwing the towel in.

21 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

No he isn’t. Taylor wins automatically got that tackle on Barton. 

Are we talking about Greg Taýlor at Celtic?  I am English so have to endure players I don't like at club level, at national level.  As a Liverpool follower, I want all our players to show what they can do.

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

Could see Liverpool doing a Man Utd tbh once Klopp finally leaves. Well, maybe not quite to that extreme, but that's Robertson, Salah, Van Dijk, Matip all into their 30s now. They'll be needing a succession plan for them, and their big money signings over the last few windows have not been brilliant, with the exception of MacAllister. Nunez, Konate, the Hungarian and Gravenberch have been OK at best. 

Like Man utd they have owners that are only interested in the bottom line. And if they are raking in the money then there is nothing wrong even if they aren't competitive. Sell all the season tickets and cream off more from daytrippers.

John W Henry is no longer concerned about winning. The Boston Red Sox are comparitively one of the cheapest teams in MLB. They have a huge market but don't spend money to actually compete. He owns the Pittsburgh Penguins who are going to miss the playoffs 2 years in a row.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/who-is-owner-pittsburgh-penguins-fenway-sports-group-do-they-care/

Fenway Sports Group is looking invest into the PGA Tour and an NBA franchise. More investment from them into Liverpool seems unlikely so the future doesn't look that bright for them.

52 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

He was loathsome, but Ashley Cole was consistently excellent too. Cant really be arsed doing a like for like stats comparison but gut would say theres not much in it between those two.

Bizarrely cant think of many elite left backs, nature of the position and/or my memory and/or not being overly arsed about elite football. Evra springs to mind, was a great player and all but dunno if hes better than Cole/Robertson.

Dennis Irwin.

1 hour ago, SH Panda said:

I love the guy, but come on. Dennis Irwin, Patrice Evra and Ashley Cole were better in the Premier League era. Kenny Sansom and Alan Kennedy achieved more in the 1980s, but I was too young to see them play much so I can't compare. Going much further back full backs usually played a different role.

52 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Like Man utd they have owners that are only interested in the bottom line. And if they are raking in the money then there is nothing wrong even if they aren't competitive. Sell all the season tickets and cream off more from daytrippers.

John W Henry is no longer concerned about winning. 

I get the logic of this but there's little evidence to support it. They've spent £200 million alone on expanding Anfield. The Main Stand is a longer term investment as it will increase revenues but the new seats in the Anfield Road End can't be sold for premium prices.

On the pitch, last season they had the third highest wages, well ahead of Man Utd and Arsenal and only behind the two big financial dopers. They have a net spend on transfers of £156 million since the end of May last year. FSG have lent them £137 million and they made an operating loss last year of around £30 million. Payments to directors aren't big and they aren't leveraged like Man Utd. They're not being run by Mike Ashley.

It's also adebatable view of a club that started the day top of the league and have already won a trophy this season.

image.png

Edited by GordonS

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

The other comments don't bother me, but not going with the Andrew Gold original is just callous 😀

Sorry min, that was poor from me, The Golden Girls theme tune is a work of art also, as is his Godley & Creme joint project.

This full-back debate could run and run.  One thing of note is that all the lads mentioned remain in the memory for having played the role for a decent length of time.  I think that longevity will be much harder to achieve in the future.  Alan Kennedy was the speaker at a Sportsman's Dinner I attended.  He said there was constant pressure on you, which I had never considered.  I can only imagine how tough it must be now, in the Sky era.  Get given the runaround and everyone gets to see it.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

. They're not being run by Mike Ashley.

image.png

They’re not owned by jack walker either, FSG may not be involved in taking everything they can without investing, but they will want to make money in the medium-long term and building stands, putting a team initially worth filling those seats and then cashing in on tourist cash after would be very worthwhile for them.

6 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Let’s not forget this cultured Scottish full back!

IMG_0009.jpeg.5108b0593479ab18304176756792be20.jpeg

Part of a very tough back four. The big yin would be sent off in about five minutes.