#Barclays 23/24

If you counted all the goals conceded through making an arse of playing out from the back, vs all the goals scored after 'beating the press', the aggregate score over a season would be about 73-6.

Just now, Zetterlund said:

If you counted all the goals conceded through making an arse of playing out from the back, vs all the goals scored after 'beating the press', the aggregate score over a season would be about 73-6.

Reminds me of that World Club final with City and Fluminense.

Fluminense were doing 1-2s in their own 6 yard box with the keeper. Matter of time before it backfired but they kept doing it. 

Fucking frustrating to watch. 

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’m going to watch baby reindeer but not before i spit on my tv.

While you're watching play which P&B poster is this?

It adds an extra dimension. 

Girl Think GIF by BDHCollective

Rather than the Sky half-time of insight 'just having to accept' that you're going to chuck in a barrel load of goals by playing your shan philosophy with no fit players against the current league and European champions, I would suggest... doing something different and defending competently might in fact be worthwhile changes to make. 

Edited by vikingTON

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

Rather than the Sky half-time of insight 'just having to accept' that you're going to chuck in a barrel load of goals by playing your shan philosophy with no fit players against the current league and European champions, I would suggest... doing something different and defending competently might in fact be worthwhile changes to make. 

Any manager that refuses to adapt their "philosophy" regardless of results is a fraud IMO.

No such thing as the "right way" to play football. Their job is to win football matches. Yet to see evidence that the whole one-twos with the keeper tactic is anything other than a deluded egotrip deployed by the type of c***s who base their football opinion on FIFA ratings.

The fact most pundits lap that shite up is very telling.

Edited by Jacky1990

2 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Any manager that refuses to adapt their "philosophy" regardless of results is a fraud IMO.

No such thing as the "right way" to play football. Their job is to win football matches. Yet to see evidence that the whole one-twos with the keeper tactic is anything other than a deluded egotrip deployed by the type of c***s who base their football opinion on FIFA ratings.

The fact most pundits lap that shite up is very telling.

There's nothing wrong with a manager having a clear Plan A; there's everything wrong with a manager who doesn't have a Plan B. 

It's also an insult even to the limited intelligence of many professional footballers to believe that They Cannot Possibly Cope with having two fundamentally different tasks to do. They do it all the time when on international duty or whenever they move from one club to a new one. It's just coaching narcissism. 

You can maybe forgive a pumping off the best team in the league, but Brighton have been absolutely shite for months.

I'm convinced Roberto de Zerbi is working for The Athletic and is involved in some kind of experiment to see how many poindexter puff-pieces it takes to get a random guy employed at a top football club.

6 hours ago, AMMjag said:

You can maybe forgive a pumping off the best team in the league, but Brighton have been absolutely shite for months.

I'm convinced Roberto de Zerbi is working for The Athletic and is involved in some kind of experiment to see how many poindexter puff-pieces it takes to get a random guy employed at a top football club.

They have fallen apart since Gilmour got injured.

He was the key to their tactical approach.

Baleba can't cut it.

When Billy is back they will go back to an upper middle table side.

11 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Playing out from the back is about trying to keep the ball, possession and control of the game rather than scoring goals. The alternative of clearing your lines just tends to give the ball straight back to the opposition. It's a risk/reward thing.

Scotland will face the same problem at the Euro's against Germany. Do Scotland try control the game with the ball (The Netherlands) or do we try to control the game without the ball (Spain). I couldn't really say what the best approach to take is.

20240426_112952.thumb.jpg.8ccb7b102dc060106cf8704b774ca16b.jpg

Weird how this style has caught on. Swansea fans wanted rid of Martin because he persisted with this despite some hilarious goals conceded direct from keeper mis-kicks.

Then you get Leicester fans wanting Maresca out because he plays a direct style with lots of counter-attacking. Essentially what Ranieri used to win them the league. 

24 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

20240426_112952.thumb.jpg.8ccb7b102dc060106cf8704b774ca16b.jpg

Weird how this style has caught on. Swansea fans wanted rid of Martin because he persisted with this despite some hilarious goals conceded direct from keeper mis-kicks.

Then you get Leicester fans wanting Maresca out because he plays a direct style with lots of counter-attacking. Essentially what Ranieri used to win them the league. 

It depends, when it works it looks great. Playing out from the back isn't necessarily patient, controlled pass you to death kind of stuff. It can be rapid almost counter-attacking. Obviously the clip below doesn't show the f**k ups.

It's about expectations rising. First fan's want winning football, then they want style - in that order. Look at David Moyes, winning isn't enough anymore.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It depends, when it works it looks great. Playing out from the back isn't necessarily patient, controlled pass you to death kind of stuff. It can be rapid almost counter-attacking. Obviously the clip below doesn't show the f**k ups.

It's about expectations rising. First fan's want winning football, then they want style - in that order. Look at David Moyes, winning isn't enough anymore.

Yeah, winning is #1 for fans. 

Playing out from the back can look great and be impressive to the eye when it works.

I suppose, as touched on, when it is averagey teams trying it in the EPL or EFL and it isn't bringing results or even not working within a game it can turn the fans rather quickly.

I appreciate this can be the same with a more pragmatic style.

Football fans being fickle, who would have thunk it haha.

1 minute ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Yeah, winning is #1 for fans. 

Playing out from the back can look great and be impressive to the eye when it works.

I suppose, as touched on, when it is averagey teams trying it in the EPL or EFL and it isn't bringing results or even not working within a game it can turn the fans rather quickly.

I appreciate this can be the same with a more pragmatic style.

Football fans being fickle, who would have thunk it haha.

That's why I mentioned Scotland. They will have the same problem an averagey side in the EPL/EFL have this summer. It will be decided on the results by the fans, with hindsight whether we should have 'had a go' or been more pragmatic - that's basically it, that's how fans by and large work. 

You don't need a philosophy to find midfielders who can find a bit of space and centre-halves who can pass into feet.  Pure Barclays over-complication.