#Barclays 24/25

Cheese

37 minutes ago, Molotov said:

His story is very interesting and not many Villa fans appreciate his background and the club crest.

Not sure this is true. There's a statue of him outside the ground so most people at least know who he was.

4 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

So Man City are suing the Premier League saying that the rules they totally didn't break are illegal?

Man City know they broke the rules and they know it can be established they broke the rules.  Their only option is to try and get the rules removed.   

They will fail......but their lawyers will make millions from the attempt.

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Not sure this is true. There's a statue of him outside the ground so most people at least know who he was.

When I used to drink on a regular basis in the Swan and Mitre during the 90s hardly any fans had heard of him or knew the significance of the lion rampant and the history of Scots at Villa and the football league.
Given his statue was only unveiled at Villa Park in 2009 I think you can see my point. I had left Villa Park behind a few years before.

A straw poll of 40,000 Villa fans going to the ground these days may also back up my claim! 😜 

The Swan and Mitre was a rough old shop. Had some great times in there plus a few other pubs around there. My knowledge of the Scottish history of Villa proved valuable when dealing with some hard core fans who may initially have objected to my Scottish accent. 😂 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I believe the old boozer has also closed now and become a B&B.

IMG_0539.thumb.jpeg.1d7f287bcca67775126abf9d8eb18558.jpeg

Maybe I'm just basing it on Villa fans I know, who pretty much all know who he is because I make sure they do 😂

Loads of the best pubs are gone, including The Barton's Arms, most tragically. 

21 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Dont know about you but I fell in love with Scottish fitba, not the plasticy English shitey version.

Yep this is where I am, money has fucked the game in the 'big' leagues and competitions, but it's still immensely enjoyable down in the seaside leagues where proper blokes play proper fitba. 

51 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Yep this is where I am, money has fucked the game in the 'big' leagues and competitions, but it's still immensely enjoyable down in the seaside leagues where proper blokes play proper fitba. 

True. The top level(s) are shite down south now. A dip into the League 2 and some of the Nationals is back to where it should be (your Wrexhams, aside).

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Loads of the best pubs are gone, including The Barton's Arms, most tragically. 

Really? That was a brilliant little pub. First went in the 13/14 season I think when Kevin Nolan got a quick double in the second half for West Ham. Drunk a ridiculous amount of JHB which is probably the first and last time I drunk ale for a session. 

On 05/06/2024 at 09:42, Molotov said:

Money has killed the sport I fell in love with.

23 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Dont know about you but I fell in love with Scottish fitba, not the plasticy English shitey version.

First live game I ever went to was Wimbledon vs Grimsby at plough lane

So Money did kill it ...

... but it got better

9 hours ago, SH Panda said:

It's clear from some of the posts these people would only work in European countries, or maybe at a push Australia and the USA.

Interesting life strategy to take, but I'm glad most of the world doesn't think that way.

A classic internet tactic is to take something someone has said and irrationally infer a whole load of things they didn't. There's quite a big margin between Saudi Arabia and only Europe/USA/Australia.

There's also a huge difference between who I would work for and who I think nobody that has a choice should work for. They're not just football clubs in Saudi Arabia, they're owned and funded by the Saudi government (despite that being contrary to FIFA statutes and worse than things they've suspended other countries for, but FIFA have no morals either).

Most of the world works in the country where they grew up and most of those who work in a different country are very poor, so I don't think you can assume most of the world doesn't think "that" way, whatever that means.

6 hours ago, SH Panda said:

People are entitled to take whichever moral stance they want.

I don't have a problem with KDB playing in Saudi Arabia, nor for Newcastle. Nor for the many other business owned by unsavoury regimes (I draw the line at gambling companies actually).

What countries are acceptable to live in and work in from your perspective?

The Saudi regime are certainly bad but there are plenty of regimes worse than them. China and the US locks up far more people without trial for a start, and the Indian government murdered a dissident in Canada recently.

Who passes your moral test and who doesn't?

I don't remember this same vitirol when Gary O'Connor or Tino Anjorin went to play in Russia.

And on your final point, most of the world has had nothing to do with Saudi Arabia, it's the UK that has invaded 90% of countries in the world. Some we haven't quite got round to yet. There's quite a good book about it.

Most of this is just whataboutery. Some of it is so out of date it's hilarious. Garry O'Connor went to Russia for the last time 12 years ago, when it was still a democracy. The UK is like Saudi Arabia because it had colonies until several decades ago?

People are entitled to take whichever moral stance they want.

Not entirely, we enforce some morality through laws, when the choice someone could make would cause harm to other people. Providing support to the Saudi regime definitely causes harm to women, gay people and democracy campaigners among others. We have sanctions against countries like Myanmar for that reason.

Apart from that, people are entitled to draw their moral lines where they want and I'm entitled to call them a c*nt for it if I want. I'm entitled to call someone a c*nt for taking money to play football for a dictator that kills folk for nothing more than tweeting in support of rights that you and I take for granted.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/08/29/saudi-arabia-man-sentenced-death-tweets

12 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Really? That was a brilliant little pub. First went in the 13/14 season I think when Kevin Nolan got a quick double in the second half for West Ham. Drunk a ridiculous amount of JHB which is probably the first and last time I drunk ale for a session. 

Closed a few months ago now. To my utter shame I lived about a mile away for years but never went. Plenty of similar Victorian pubs in Birmingham but Barton Arms had more of a name than most.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Most of this is just whataboutery. Some of it is so out of date it's hilarious. Garry O'Connor went to Russia for the last time 12 years ago, when it was still a democracy. 

Lol wut

Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2024 at 12:15, SH Panda said:

I don't have a problem with KDB playing in Saudi Arabia, nor for Newcastle. Nor for the many other business owned by unsavoury regimes (I draw the line at gambling companies actually).

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The Saudis mass murdered 81 people in 2022 by beheading them.

End of conversation.

It's easy to criticise the Saudi Regime on things like human rights

But they do have an outright ban on gambling

So they're still the good guys apparently

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

10 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

There is plenty of gambling in Saudi Arabia and they are most certainly not the good guys. And whilst I don't work for a gambling firm I hope others do - it's far better being a legitimate industry as there will always be a demand for it.

Singapore is an interesting case, loads of people live and work there without issue, but they execute people for even non violent crimes.

There are loads of bad regimes in the world - my answer is call them out. And yes even us and other democracies sometimes. There are benign autocracies and murderous democracies.

What premier league owner is the least evil? It's a tough one actually.

That places us in a Zenonic ethical world where if you don't know precisely where to draw the line then there can't be a line 

9 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I preferred it when the #Barclays thread was about paucity of hair. 

Or who shagged who's wife/sister