#Barclays 24/25

Cheese

1 hour ago, SH Panda said:

They are British bookies favourite every tournament.

Easy money for the bookies.

It's absolutely meaningless in terms of the quality of their side.

I wouldn’t have said absolutely meaningless - do you fancy anyone apart from France to beat England? Do you fancy France to beat England?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SH Panda said:

Not really, this exact same chat was coming out when they had a frontline of Carroll, Dafoe and Sturridge.

The CL is clearly the pinnacle of elite football, Saka and Rice have achieved nothing at that level and Foden was benched for the final last year.

Bellingham is doing it this year, but he is with Real Madrid - they are the kings of Europe.

The league itself had one of its worst European performances in living memory.

Squad wise France is where it's at again, they could have named two squads with a good chance of winning the tournament.

England is second tier (an improvement on where they were 10 years ago).

Not so sure about that tbh. They’ve always been a bit over the top with this stuff (but most countries are and whisper it quietly - we are too) but there was a massive amount of negativity towards the England team from their own fans and press during that era.

I don’t count Rice and Saka in this, they’re brilliant players but not amongst the best right now imo. Bellingham and Foden however undeniably are. 

Edited by Fratelli

Posted (edited)

Someone genuinely thinks that England are far better than Spain,Germany and Portugal?

Well, OK. I strongly disagree but everyone's opinion should be respected.

Harry Kane has missed the two final league games for Bayern Munich with a nasty back injury.

Kane isn't 100% so there's a chance England won't make it out their group, never mind winning Euro 24.

They're missing Maguire, Mings and Shaw, James is short of Match fitness because of injury. Stones hasn't kicked a ball since the 4 May.

Saka got injured by McTominay and won't be 100% Mainoo took a knock on Sunday.

They have major defensive problems. They have no playmaker. That's why Harry Kane drops so deep for England. He's their best passer.

Talking of Kane. For generations they've had a world class taking over from a world class striker (Lineker 》Shearer 》 Owen 》 Rooney 》 Kane). But there's no world class striker going to take the reins from Kane.

England are the World Champions when it comes to the game of self publicists.

England are the only team in the world of sports who can win one trophy in 94 years and be considered a "heavyweight."

But yeah, if people think England are genuinely contenders then fair enough. It's a game of opinions. I respectfully disagree.

They are incredibly overrated. Take out Kane and they're just above average.

Gareth Southgate, for all the abuse and insults he receives, is performing miracles with this England team.

He's created a great team spirit, but he's more a lucky manager than a good one.

I think his luck might run out in Euro 24.

Edited by SlayerX

I want England to fail as much as the next man, but it's only desperation to see it that leads folk to believe they aren't going to be there or thereabouts for what would be a hilariously long overdue tournament win. 

Iv banged this drum for a while, by every metric imaginable, England are sports biggest underachievers. Its gonna happen soon. It might happen more than once. Then after that they will.get their fair share 

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've just realised 'Turkey Teeth' means he got his teeth done like you get in Turkey, not that he has teeth like a turkey.

More recently the clip of Klopp singing to the Kop on Sunday, I thought he was singing "Allison nah nah nah nah..." bit unfair on the other players bit there you go.

Turns out,  it was "Arne Slot nah nah nah nah".

What a fool I felt when it clicked today.

How far into the season do we get before the first 'bald fraud' accusations?

Re England, I'm not sure how much is down to Southgate but they've performed like less than the sum of their parts forever. They are very much capable of winning a tournament - it's not as if every recent winner has been packed full of world class players, you only need a few and a bit of luck (or none and a shitload of luck if you're Greece).

28 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

How far into the season do we get before the first 'bald fraud' accusations?

Re England, I'm not sure how much is down to Southgate but they've performed like less than the sum of their parts forever. They are very much capable of winning a tournament - it's not as if every recent winner has been packed full of world class players, you only need a few and a bit of luck (or none and a shitload of luck if you're Greece).

Pre-season friendlies 

3 hours ago, throbber said:

I wouldn’t have said absolutely meaningless - do you fancy anyone apart from France to beat England? Do you fancy France to beat England?

France to beat England?..Yes, as they are simply as better side.

The likes of Spain, Portugal and Germany as hosts all more than capable of beating England as well.