Hop Skip & Jump: the Scottish Groundhop 2024

Amazing! 

This guy has travelled from Braintree to see a game of football and can’t name one of the two teams playing correctly.

Don’t just visit the grounds, count ‘em.

Anyway I’m leaving sunny Birnam now and look forward to seeing Crossgates Primrose shortly.

39 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Amazing! 

This guy has travelled from Braintree to see a game of football and can’t name one of the two teams playing correctly.

Anyway I’m leaving sunny Birnam now and look forward to seeing Crossgates Primrose shortly.

Seen the lad who goes by the name "Oldham Groundhopper" was up in the Perth area taking in all/some of the games as well.

I like a bit of groundhopping myself but these guys clearly make a huge effort to see these different grounds and fair play to them.

Let us speak no further of that Penicuik performance, on what is turning into a grim day for Midlothian football.

I’ve set my compass for the Swifties, crossed the Perth “bridge of doom”, and I’m back on the banks of the silvery Tay for yet another game. 

Treated myself to a Linton Hotspur badge from Terry’s Badges.

IMG_0466.jpeg

IMG_0469.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I made it to soggy Sauchie. I’m certain this game won’t finish. Pitch is waterlogged, puddles everywhere, players falling over,

IMG_0478.jpeg

From the pictures I have seen on Twitter the game should never have started, and if it has started due to pressure with having the ground hoppers there, then that is totally wrong.

3 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

From the pictures I have seen on Twitter the game should never have started, and if it has started due to pressure with having the ground hoppers there, then that is totally wrong.

This is dangerous. Ball is running and bouncing, but every single other week this game would be off. It’s a farce.

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

10 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Amazing! 

You get this in all sort of hobbies including travel which I guess groundhopping is a subset of where folk want to boast about how many things they’ve ticked off a list rather than how much they’ve enjoyed the overall experience.  Called a mate out on it . He was all about ‘wouldn’t it be great to say you’ve done this?’ Who the f**k cares what anyone else thinks do it cos you want to do it

9 hours ago, aidan-bufc said:

Seen the lad who goes by the name "Oldham Groundhopper" was up in the Perth area taking in all/some of the games as well.

I like a bit of groundhopping myself but these guys clearly make a huge effort to see these different grounds and fair play to them.

I expect Oldham ground hopper has started to make a living off it, fair enough he clearly loves it, great enthusiasm and shares his stories well.

I wonder if there can be some differential between Groundhoppers like there is between "Trekkies" and "Trekkers".

I like to go around different grounds, I usually pay for a raffle ticket and a pie, buy a programme and often a badge if they have one. And I enjoy watching the game. The Hoppers can't say they didn't see a decent game last night at Armadale but some of them looked bloody miserable. We once had a Hopper turn up to an Edinburgh City game back in the East of Scotland days and the bugger looked on the verge of tears when told there wasn't a teamsheet and he could (gasp) part with a couple of quid for a programme and note down the team on that. If you'd travelled up from England it wasn't too much to ask considering we were run on not even a shoestring budget back then but half a shoestring.

At least the clubs might have made a bit of cash out of the weekend. Next year they can all go and hop about the picturesque cages of the West of Scotland League Division 4.. 

46 minutes ago, bobbydazzler said:

no way that game should have been played last night.

probably ruined the pitch until the end of season now too.

I do wonder if there was a bit of pressure to keep it on given the bumper crowd in...

In fairness, the pitch held up pretty well and the ball zipped around fine until about the last 10 minutes. Was a cracking match too... well done both sides and in particular the standside linesman for making it good entertainment!

I hope for Sauchie that have at least a couple of weeks away from home now to try and let the park recover a bit...

12 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

This is dangerous. Ball is running and bouncing, but every single other week this game would be off. It’s a farce.

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

How did the referee let them play on that in the 1st place?

13 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

Aye no way that should have started.

3 hours ago, bobbydazzler said:

no way that game should have been played last night.

probably ruined the pitch until the end of season now too.

Aye that pitch will be fucked for the rest of the season.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I wonder if there can be some differential between Groundhoppers like there is between "Trekkies" and "Trekkers".

I like to go around different grounds, I usually pay for a raffle ticket and a pie, buy a programme and often a badge if they have one. And I enjoy watching the game. The Hoppers can't say they didn't see a decent game last night at Armadale but some of them looked bloody miserable. We once had a Hopper turn up to an Edinburgh City game back in the East of Scotland days and the bugger looked on the verge of tears when told there wasn't a teamsheet and he could (gasp) part with a couple of quid for a programme and note down the team on that. If you'd travelled up from England it wasn't too much to ask considering we were run on not even a shoestring budget back then but half a shoestring.

At least the clubs might have made a bit of cash out of the weekend. Next year they can all go and hop about the picturesque cages of the West of Scotland League Division 4.. 

I'm sure there was talk a couple of years ago of a hopper turning up at Ross County, then walkimg away when they realised they don't (didn't?) issue a programme. Utter madness.

My draw to the whole thing tends to be decent enough ground (no public park or high school cages) and a decent day out (nice part of the world, pubs on the way etc.). Plastic pitch, pre season friendly, no programme, no teamsheet, no pies? I don't care. The day I start to take this all that seriously I will save my time, money and sanity and get a new hobby.

16 minutes ago, southernrover said:

I should ask, for those who went this weekend, was there any flag drama or did everyone get the photos they wanted?

No flags. He’s been telt.

Nil-nil Whitburn at HT. They’re dominant, so goals will come. Another boggy pitch getting ruined.

Terry’s Badges has left the scene. Is it a Groundhop game if Terry isn’t here?

IMG_0497.jpeg