Hibernian v St. Mirren, Sunday 6/8/23

Don't Scottish teams typically get caught cold in the league after European games? 

Either way, hopeful of at least a draw. We were outplayed for first half in May but in end were slightly unfortunate not to nab a point after a good second half.

We really struggled on the road last season but hopefully the tactic of surrendering possession to teams we know are technically better sides than us and catching them on the hop is still as effective. 

I will be in attendance and fully expect Lee Johnson's REDEEMED EUROPEAN HEROES to deliver the goods at a relative canter against a NOT VERY GOOD-looking St Mirren, replete with new star signings such as "Laddie from Plymouth" and "Kevin Van Veen's backup dancer". Martin "strangest hair transplant that has actually worked but left him with unnervingly dark hair" Boyle and Elie Youan to TERRIFY the Saints defence and score goals galore.

2-1 Saints

Edited by GHF-23

Really tough for me to call this, on one hand and despite the fairly healthy victory, Hibs looked easily got at. That said, a thumping victory can only increase morale significantly.

Last season there wasn't much between us, although I think it's fair to say that the gap was bigger after the split as we seemed to go onto autopilot a bit while Hibs seemed to be emboldened by the chance to catch their city rivals. In terms of recruitment, Hibs have spent far more in the market, meanwhile I am not overly convinced by Robinson's purchases.

The goalkeeping position is an interesting one. Assuming Hibs need to go with Boruc, and us with Hemming, both keepers will be under pressure for differing reasons. As the old adage goes, no plan survives first contact with the enemy (or "everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson) and it'll be a few weeks before we see how our respective squads settle. Can't call this be honest, could be anything from a 0-0 to 3-3.

Obviously, and you can read my sig if there is any confusion, a long-term particularly painful injury for Boyle would be my preferred outcome, regardless of the score.

On 02/08/2023 at 10:57, Arch Stanton said:

His bigoted family cried like babies because they came over from NI to see him play against their beloved Rangers only to find Robinson decided to play Urminsky (seeing as it was a last game of the season dead rubber).

Allegedly one of the family also got larey with SR at the end of season Player of the Season dinner over the same issue.

Thanks for the background. What a p***k 

On 02/08/2023 at 13:25, Lyle Lanley said:

If we play Marshall St.Mirren will score. 

I think you might be in luck...

On 02/08/2023 at 13:30, Hoose Rice said:

The problem being I have no confidence the replacement will be anything but fucking crap too. 

A classic of the "be careful what you wish for genre" 😅

On 02/08/2023 at 13:46, The Other Foot said:

Salutations, brothers.

As long as Perth Tesco and the Gorgie Rover-owners Society have managed to lose to each other the day before, then who gives a shit? 

Masonic Hibee/saints vibes. Also- enjoy that description of the respective clubs. Although if I'm being pedantic (unless you're referring to the strips), I think St Johnston's old ground is in fact an Asda.

On 02/08/2023 at 14:21, Lyle Lanley said:

If Marshall makes another mistake tomorrow night and we’re out of Europe. I will personally head over to the head’s gone thread. 

Good news!

Can I just say this was a great thread to come on cold to following Hibs' comeback against the Andorran minnows. 

I’ll say a 2-2 draw. We’ve looked good going forward over some of pre season and on Thursday night but have been all over the place at the back, looking especially weak at right back/left back. 

Edited by Zing.

23 hours ago, Ric said:

Obviously, and you can read my sig if there is any confusion, a long-term particularly painful injury for Boyle would be my preferred outcome, regardless of the score.

I live in a state of permanent confusion (due to living with my teenage daughters) but I can’t see a “signature” detailing anything on your posts or on your profile so I’ve not personally got a clue what Martin Boyle has done to you personally or what’s he’s done publicly for you to be wanting him to have “a long-term particularly painful injury”.

From what I understand Martin Boyle has recently recovered from a ruptured ACL which used to finish careers of footballers years ago.

I really don’t understand why you get so angry and annoyed over opposition players to the extent that you want their careers to shudder to a halt. 

Hoping for injuries on an opposing footballer is pretty scummy behaviour. 

St Mirren have only beaten us once in the last 8 games at Easter Road. (Some 1-0 shitfest). They typically always try to play for the draw and attempt to influence the referee with a chorus of 90 minute boos. There will be no excuse for not sticking it to this rabble yet again. 

20 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

To the Hibs lads:

Will Vente start? 

Not likely, one of the many joys of Brexit being that a Dutch citizen has to complete a test to work in the UK and on the basis that we havent announced it, I would think that its not yet happened.

25 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I live in a state of permanent confusion (due to living with my teenage daughters) but I can’t see a “signature” detailing anything on your posts or on your profile so I’ve not personally got a clue what Martin Boyle has done to you personally or what’s he’s done publicly for you to be wanting him to have “a long-term particularly painful injury”.

From what I understand Martin Boyle has recently recovered from a ruptured ACL which used to finish careers of footballers years ago.

I really don’t understand why you get so angry and annoyed over opposition players to the extent that you want their careers to shudder to a halt. 

Hoping for injuries on an opposing footballer is pretty scummy behaviour. 

Anyone wishing painful injury on players is a walloper - and I said the same about some stupid Hibs fans comments after Craig Gordons horror leg break.

The majority of Saint Mirren fans on here are very gid kunts, but I have had this guy on ignore for some time.

Unsurprisingly, there has been a direct and positive relationship between the drop off of his posts and my enjoyment of P&B.

7 minutes ago, iceblink said:

What's the story with away tickets at Hibs? Why can't I just log on to a website, buy a ticket and get a qr code?

These were sold on the St Mirren ticketing site, not Hibs.

I am almost certain there will be tickets available at the portacabin on Sunday.