St Mirren V Dundee

8 hours ago, doogster said:

Is this not one of the reasons for VAR technology; to avoid cheating?  I assume the intention is to stop blatant shirt pulling at corners. Your guy was fouling in the box and got called out for it.  If the scrutiny continues it will be less prevalent your team will benefit from it also.

I’m not a St Mirren fan chief.

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Well OK.

Replace the 'certain goal' statement with 'a last ditch desperate clearance off the line by Shaughnessy' and the point still stands that during the last half hour of sustained Dundee possession and pressure in our third of the park, we actually looked more likely to add a third than Dundee did of equalising.

It wasn't a dissimilar pattern to the last 25 mins of Aberdeen Celtic yesterday where ball was played almost entirely in Celtic's defensive third but Aberdeen actually didn't create much of note, Celtic broke up park three times and looked more like scoring every time.

The goal itself for Dundee was also annoying. It came out of absolutely nowhere and I don't think anyone in the ground could have said they'd seen it coming on pressure or balance of play. Indeed, at the point it went in, it was looking like a fairly textbook plod by both sides to the finish line and the goal sort of provided a toe up the hole for Dundee to become more urgent.

I don't know, everyone around me saw that Dundee goal coming. We'd dropped off big time, Tiffoney was causing problems and our defending was looking very slack. When Tiffoney cut inside Strain so easily I knew then they were scoring. I think it woke saints up a bit and after that they were a lot more solid and saw the game out easily enough, but I wasn't surprised that Dundee scored when they did.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I don't know, everyone around me saw that Dundee goal coming. We'd dropped off big time, Tiffoney was causing problems and our defending was looking very slack. When Tiffoney cut inside Strain so easily I knew then they were scoring. I think it woke saints up a bit and after that they were a lot more solid and saw the game out easily enough, but I wasn't surprised that Dundee scored when they did.

There must be a mind set among the players because they do this in practically every game they have a lead in its as if they get stage fright and sit back so deep they invite the opposition to score its absolutely crazy and not good for fans having palpitations in the stands. 

9 minutes ago, elvis said:

There must be a mind set among the players because they do this in practically every game they have a lead in its as if they get stage fright and sit back so deep they invite the opposition to score its absolutely crazy and not good for fans having palpitations in the stands. 

It's a good laugh though.

I think your comment about mind set is an interesting one. Maybe having a better mindset is the difference between playing at a higher level?

Fitness is part of it too. We play with a lot of intensity, so it's impossible to keep that going for 90mins, there will be spells when we start to sit off and get deeper. And other teams have good players, we're not going to get it all our own way for the full game. 

Just now, houston_bud said:

It's a good laugh though.

I think your comment about mind set is an interesting one. Maybe having a better mindset is the difference between playing at a higher level?

Fitness is part of it too. We play with a lot of intensity, so it's impossible to keep that going for 90mins, there will be spells when we start to sit off and get deeper. And other teams have good players, we're not going to get it all our own way for the full game. 

So true. You can see players gradually fall out of the game. Strain was a classic example on Saturday. I think bringing on Tiffoney against Strain was a smart move but If we could have maintained our intensity it could have finished 4 or 5 to us. 

I'm always impressed by Robinsons teams. Just hard working and a lot of talented footballers. 

St Mirren had our number in the first half, one way traffic and deserved lead. Beck and Ashcroft absolutely shite in that first 45. 

We changed our system from a back 3, which simply just doesn't work, to a flat 4 and we were much better. For as bad as we were first half we were brilliant in the second and in my opinion unlucky not to come away with a point.

St Mirren dug in and defended well and still looked threatening on the counter. 

20 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's not really a mind set issue I don't think.

For the first 60 minutes of games, I genuinely believe we work harder than any other side in the league. The energy about the team is pretty unreal and we go that full tilt that when you hit the last third of the game, you can sort of see the legs start to go a bit so we conserve energy, invite pressure on and try and hit on the break.

It's a bit of a departure from last season though. We certainly toiled against the teams around us or in games you'd be targeting as wins so Saturday was welcome in that it was relatively comfortable until the last 25 mins. I would rather be in the position we found ourselves in than the age old one of huffing and puffing, still 0-0 after 70, then sucker punched and chasing for last 20 which seemed to be the case with us for years.

30 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

For as bad as we were first half we were brilliant in the second and in my opinion unlucky not to come away with a point.

St Mirren dug in and defended well and still looked threatening on the counter. 

I could understand if you had pummelled our goal and our keeper performed like a modern day Tomaszewski.

Yes you improved second half but to say you were brilliant is a bit much. 

The most clear cut chances were created by St Mirren. There is no way that you deserved anything from the game over the 90mins. 

You at least are a bit more realistic than your manager- he said you deserved all 3 points.

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I could understand if you had pummelled our goal and our keeper performed like a modern day Tomaszewski.

Yes you improved second half but to say you were brilliant is a bit much. 

The most clear cut chances were created by St Mirren. There is no way that you deserved anything from the game over the 90mins. 

You at least are a bit more realistic than your manager- he said you deserved all 3 points.

I thought our response to such a poor first half was brilliant. We pressed much better, our passing was much better and with tempo and the system change was working.

We missed a few good clear cut chances, most notably McCowan 1v1 with the keeper who should be doing much better. 

I don't think Docherty in any way believed we deserved to win the game, I think he was trying to put the message across to his players that the fine margins in the league are so important. If we put that penalty away then there is no reason why we can't go on to win the game. We didn't though and we went 2-0 basically right after which fucks us. 

I don't think saying that we were unlucky not to come away with a point given our second half performance was a ridiculous thing to say. St Mirren held on well and could have scored on the break when we were pushing...

There is not much between all the sides in the league aside from the arse cheeks. 
That is one of the best things about our league. All the diddy teams are more than capable of winning over 90mins if they put in a performance. 

Robbo has got a squad of players who work really hard for one another. There is a great squad spirit - long may it continue. 

A Goodwin or a Gus team would possibly have folded against Hibs and Dundee as they might have become really defensive in their set up. Under them we might only have been on 1 or 2 points despite playing well. 

It can all unravel very quickly in Scottish fitba. Would be great to put in another good few results in cup and league and perhaps be safe from relegation by Christmas! 

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

We missed a few good clear cut chances, most notably McCowan 1v1 with the keeper who should be doing much better. 

Can you tell me the other clear cut chances as I really don’t remember. I  am auld cnut so that might be why I forget.

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I don't think Docherty in any way believed we deserved to win the game

He said live on radio Scotland -

“Disappointed not to have got all 3 points”

There must be something in the water in Dundee left over from Caniggia’s time. 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

There must be something in the water in Dundee left over from Caniggia’s time. 

Maybe people from Paisley can't understand plain English.

I'm disappointed that we didn't get all 3 points. Does that mean I think we deserved to? No...

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

I'm disappointed that we didn't get all 3 points. Does that mean I think we deserved to? No...

But on what basis can your manager be disappointed when over the 90mins St Mirren were the far better team and created the most clear cut chances. 

I’m still waiting to see your evidence of all these clear cut chances I obviously missed.

Just now, Molotov said:

But on what basis can your manager be disappointed when over the 90mins St Mirren were the far better team and created the most clear cut chances. 

I’m still waiting to see your evidence of all these clear cut chances I obviously missed.

He also said they are a better team than us.

20 minutes ago, Molotov said:

7 minutes ago, Molotov said:

5 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

This was his quote from the BBC Scotland website -

I was confident we'd go on to win that game at one point."

I don't read that or anything in the Radio Scotland reports as him saying we deserved 3 points at all.  

I think he’s trying to give the players belief. If certain situations in the game had fallen our way we could have undeservedly won. However, the same can be said of St Mirren in that they could have been out of sight. St. Mirren deserved to win, simple as that. I don’t think Carson had tons to do but it was certainly one way traffic in the first half. I’m still encouraged enough, brand new team and coaching set up. Will be a tough season but I hope we can do well enough at home to pick up enough points.