Your club’s best loan signing

The sensible advice is to never fall in love with a loan player but I know that football fans often fail to heed this wisdom.

Which temporary addition to your team had the biggest impact? Were they excellent on the pitch or just a a total madman? Did he end up joining permanently or fade away into the wilderness?

Edited by Cardle is Magic

Charlie Adam in 2005/06 when we won the  "Championship" and Challenge Cup double.

Our 2013 League Cup winning side had 3 loan players two of whom scored Isma, full name Esmaël Ruti Tavares Cruz da Silva Gonçalves, scored the first alongside Paul Dummett and Conor Newton (3rd goal) who both came from Newcastle United.

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

One recent one that comes to mind is Steven Anderson in 19-20. His impact was significant in that we managed promotion that year in no small part due to the influence he had on the team.

Steven MacLean merits a mention too. I'd argue he probably had a bigger impact. Before he came in we had Bowie and Baird up top, with Vaughan and Allan out. He came in and offered a different skillset to either of those two - he could hold up the ball and had the nous for bringing others into play. He's the only player I've ever seen score a match winner and look furious. 

We got him in and Falkirk got Rafa da Vita and the difference in their contributions was mammoth. Maclean's goal in the 1-1 against Falkirk was glorious.

For me, it's Damien Casalinuovo. Signed, immediately into a derby day squad, scores a finish and almost gets sent off by forgetting he's been booked at the celebrations, played two more goals and then got recalled by United. The loan spell equivalent of a holiday fling - you knew it wouldn't last but it was great fun for everyone involved.

Edited by Broken Algorithms

53 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Steven MacLean merits a mention too. I'd argue he probably had a bigger impact. Before he came in we had Bowie and Baird up top, with Vaughan and Allan out. He came in and offered a different skillset to either of those two - he could hold up the ball and had the nous for bringing others into play. He's the only player I've ever seen score a match winner and look furious. 

We got him in and Falkirk got Rafa da Vita and the difference in their contributions was mammoth. Maclean's goal in the 1-1 against Falkirk was glorious.

For me, it's Damien Casalinuovo. Signed, immediately into a derby day squad, scores a finish and almost gets sent off by forgetting he's been booked at the celebrations, played two more goals and then got recalled by United. The loan spell equivalent of a holiday fling - you knew it wouldn't last but it was great fun for everyone involved.

I was very much torn between MacLean and Anderson from our recent loans, but I chose Anderson because of the absolute sea change in the spine of the defence with his presence. MacLean was an absolute b*****d for the opposing team to deal with, but Anderson just made you feel everything was gonna be alright when you saw him there barking out orders.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I’ve said this loads before, but his goal v Ayr to rescue a 2-2 draw in 2012 is in the top 5 most daft I’ve ever gone at a Rovers goal. Ridiculous, when you really think about it. 

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’ve said this loads before, but his goal v Ayr to rescue a 2-2 draw in 2012 is in the top 5 most daft I’ve ever gone at a Rovers goal. Ridiculous, when you really think about it. 

It was particularly cathartic given Crawford Allan ignoring the blatant hand ball a few minutes before. It's a great example of why I'm not too bothered about our first penalty on Saturday. Folk will slaughter Vaughan for it but I'm sure we could catalogue a list of decisions which have gone against us.

I've no idea how Davidson didn't get sent off for screaming at the referee's face from all of a yard away.

Adam Hammill, took the piss out of every single team he played against. Celtic included, twice. Took us to a cup final by skinning the boy for the McIntyre paneka and then retired Neil Lennon.  Was untouchable in his brief spell here.

Stevie Crawford...nuff said. 

Edited by Stoo61

In terms of pure ability it’s probably Stephen Kelly. Very rarely does an 18 year old look as if he’s been playing the game for years in his first season of professional football. Was a huge player for us that season and the only shame was we didn’t have him for longer as COVID put a stop to everything. 

Honourable mentions would be Ross Doohan, Logan Chalmers, Josh Mullin and I was a big fan of Ross McCrorie when we had him. 

Stevie Crawford. Scored a load of goals, many of which were screamers (see his double at Love Street) then signed permanently and became a legend.

Allan McGregor was absolutely immense in the season he was here. 

I terms of impact then it'd be hard to look past Kevin Ruktiewicz and Martin Hardie. 

Brought in during the January window when we were trailing in the title race, Ruktiewicz immediately solidified a defence which included Chris Smith and Alex Keddie. 

Hardie meanwhile scored the biggest goals of the season, a late winner at Ross County in injury time, and a double in a sold out fife derby title decider with Raith. The free kick in particular has legendary status. 

We have had better players on loan, but in my lifetime they've made the biggest difference. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Honourable mentions would be Ross Doohan, Logan Chalmers, Josh Mullin and I was a big fan of Ross McCrorie when we had him. 

Agree with all of the above. 

Did we not play Ross McCrorie as a winger most of the time? I seem to remember him being played all over the park. 

Graham Dorrans (when he was an 18 year old winger) and Scott Tiffoney both from Livi have been the best in the last 20 years. Obviously weren't able to keep Dorrans beyond his initial loan but Tiffoney turned out to be an excellent signing. 

Niall Keown when he was on loan was tremendous and then turned to shit the minute he signed permanently. 

Our record with loans from the OF is grim. 

Stephen Kelly was a standout for us on loan. Good in possession and looked ridiculously composed for a young player. Had a very pleasing habit of shooting from distance which led to him scoring a couple of screamers.

Logan Chalmers was good in his brief loan spell last season. I reckon if he hadn't been recalled we could have sustained a title challenge a bit longer. Gutted I missed his skill to setup Mullin in the pre Christmas Raith game with a chest infection.