Your club’s best loan signing

Just now, CallumPar said:

For some reason I thought Lewis Allan scored a goal for us. Having done my research now though, I realise this was wrong. He’s definitely in the same bracket as Jamie Mole, Gavin Reilly and Derek Lyle.

Never realised Allan played for the Pars. We had him with us the season where we won league 1 (technically). He was booed onto the park one game by some fans as he got subbed on and Kyle Benedictus had to come out in the post match begging fans not to do stuff like that as he was pretty much in tears after the game.

I don't think he played with us after that and it's one of the worst I've ever felt for a player. No matter what someone's like as a footballer they don't deserve that. 

9 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

For some reason I thought Lewis Allan scored a goal for us. Having done my research now though, I realise this was wrong. He’s definitely in the same bracket as Jamie Mole, Gavin Reilly and Derek Lyle.

I also think we had an Icelandic striker on a loan spell? Gardar Gunnlaugson or something? Could probably have a full 11 of terrible strikers we had on loan.

Gardur was until 2012 married to this lady 

image.thumb.png.3ed5b8f52af6946032d4a1d614ce89b0.png

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Never realised Allan played for the Pars. We had him with us the season where we won league 1 (technically). He was booed onto the park one game by some fans as he got subbed on and Kyle Benedictus had to come out in the post match begging fans not to do stuff like that as he was pretty much in tears after the game.

I don't think he played with us after that and it's one of the worst I've ever felt for a player. No matter what someone's like as a footballer they don't deserve that. 

He played for us when we finished 7th in league 1. Potter brought him in to try and save our season, alongside some Pars legends like Jim Paterson, Kyle McAusland, David Hopkirk & Paul George.

Potter also brought Barrowman back to the club at that time, but I’ve got time for Barrowman (despite that second spell being underwhelming), so not going to include him in Potter’s disastrous signings.

He also released Gozie Ugwu, who was our top scorer at the time, almost as soon as he became manager.

11 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I also think we had an Icelandic striker on a loan spell? Gardar Gunnlaugson or something? Could probably have a full 11 of terrible strikers we had on loan.

I thought he was signed outright, spent most of his time injured though IIRC. 

5 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He played for John Potters Pars side, you'll have Dunfermline fans who won't know he played for us. Grant was bad, but Potters tenure is the worst since the 80s, Stinky. 

I remember reading about that, I don't remember Allan being that bad, he was in a hopeless side but he wasn't the worst. 

GK - Dean Brill

RB - Kevin McCann
CB - Jamie McCart
CB - Roman Golobart
LB - Charlie Taylor

RM - Jay Henderson
CM -Scott Allan
CM - David Davis
LM - Logan Chalmers

ST - Billy Mckay
ST - Miles Storey

That's probably the best loan 11 we could get. I didn't include Christie as he never really left.

4 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Andy Webster, Pavol Safranko, Willo Flood, Dylan Levitt, there will be others but we have had a few decent loans over the years but certainly had our fair share of trash.

Webster is the correct answer.

I liked some of the others, but only Webster captained a cup winning team while somehow guiding Garry Kenneth to being capped

4 hours ago, CallumPar said:

I  also think we had an Icelandic striker on a loan spell? Gardar Gunnlaugson or something? Could probably have a full 11 of terrible strikers we had on loan.

Think he came over on a trial, and was apparently going to be a superstar. Think he was on the bench once v Hibs at Easter Road but not sure if he ever came on. We also had a guy over from the States that a fan helped facilitate but I don't know if he ever played or even made the bench. Think he went on to have a reasonable MLS career? 

45 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Webster is the correct answer.

I liked some of the others, but only Webster captained a cup winning team while somehow guiding Garry Kenneth to being capped

Webster is by far the pick of the bunch, the others were listed in response to us not having had any decent loan players 

21 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think he came over on a trial, and was apparently going to be a superstar. Think he was on the bench once v Hibs at Easter Road but not sure if he ever came on. We also had a guy over from the States that a fan helped facilitate but I don't know if he ever played or even made the bench. Think he went on to have a reasonable MLS career? 

Aye he came on for about 15 minutes. I was at the game, think we lost 2-0.

34 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Kei Kamara - he even played in the Premier League for Norwich! Leishman decided against signing him, was possibly due to finances though.

Mehdi Abeid, and its not even close, IMO.

Theres players who had more of an impact, short term and longer term, but when youve got a foreign 20yo appearing and just strolling every appearance with step overs galore, youre falling in love.

On 16/08/2023 at 00:36, Kuma Power said:

Here's my XI of some of the best loan signings we've had at Raith (based on how they fared when on loan with us):

GK: Kieran Wright
RB: David Smith
CB: Steven Anderson
CB: Connor O'Riordan
LB: Callum Booth
MF: Regan Hendry
RW: Johnny Russell
LW: Ethan Ross
FW: Damian Casalinuovo
FW: Ryan Hardie
FW: Steven MacLean

Jamie Walker, Jason Holt, Kevin Smith and David Templeton were also good for us while on loan.

...and an XI of the worst we've had (again based on how they fared at the time):

GK: Ally Brown
DF: Jack Perry
DF: Sean Mackie (2021-22 season)
DF: Nathan Cooney
MF: Adam King
MF: Jordan Thompson
MF: Scott Roberts
MF: Connal Murtagh
FW: Timmy Abraham
FW: Stephen Reynolds
FW: Lars Lokotsch

It feels a bit harsh to put guys like Cooney in here who hardly played and were essentially there as cover, but was struggling to think of other defenders who have been properly awful (other Rovers fans, please do set me right!) (Dis)honourable mentions also for William Akio and Isma Goncalves up front.

I struggled to recall Murtagh beyond the vague recollection of Dalziel signing him back in the day. He didn't exactly make it as a footballer but fair fucks to the guy he's done well for himself.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, renton said:

I struggled to recall Murtagh beyond the vague recollection of Dalziel signing him back in the day. He didn't exactly make it as a footballer but fair fucks to the guy he's done well for himself.

Aye, I was surprised to see how well he'd done. Wasn't a great player but clearly a very bright guy who's made a good career in football: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/mens/staff/dr-conall-murtagh

Also, the irony of a former Raith Rovers player going on to lead peer-reviewed scientific papers on reducing injury risk in training is not lost on me:

image.png.339bce259d83d00cbdcf84cc1ff1d383.png

On 16/08/2023 at 15:16, PB1994 said:

GK - Dean Brill

RB - Kevin McCann
CB - Jamie McCart
CB - Roman Golobart
LB - Charlie Taylor

RM - Jay Henderson
CM -Scott Allan
CM - David Davis
LM - Logan Chalmers

ST - Billy Mckay
ST - Miles Storey

That's probably the best loan 11 we could get. I didn't include Christie as he never really left.

I totally forgot about Dean Brill! Was trying to make an 11 and I had Zibi Malkowski in goals :lol: 

Roman Golobart though :wub: 

53 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I totally forgot about Dean Brill! Was trying to make an 11 and I had Zibi Malkowski in goals :lol: 

Roman Golobart though :wub: 

I only realised he was on loan by checking Wikipedia!

Agreed about Golobart.